Hey Fathers, Hand Cramps?

chuckle… I didn’t really think the baby sling would go over real big here…

Those of you with colicky babies might want to get one of these for Mom, though. Honestly, they’re great.

I’ll be damned! That’s what happened the other night during my bench press. I’ve never had a cramp in my hand like that before.

My second child was born just a month ago, and all of the sudden, I get a pain in my left hand that was serious enough to stop my lift and put on my gloves and adjust my grip. It helped a little, but not much.

Thanks for the post!

Jack

[quote]Jillybop13 wrote:
chuckle… I didn’t really think the baby sling would go over real big here…

Those of you with colicky babies might want to get one of these for Mom, though. Honestly, they’re great.

[/quote]

The maya wrap kicks ass. My wife used it all of the time and yes, for the first six months of my son’s life, I used it a few times too. The reason I liked it is becuase he could sleep and I could still do stuff around the house.

Yep the young one has Acid reflux for sure. He also has distisia(sp?) WHich basically means he hasnt figured out how to poop right or his butt is a little underdeveloped. He has massive gas which he is on gas drops 1o times a day or more. Hes already on presciption Zantec.

Hes a tough one…

Colic… I could go on forever. We have 4 boys, all of them had colic.

I totally sympathize with the aches and pains, I think that most are caused by tensing up when you are holding the baby as well as the fact that you will hold the same position for a long period of time.

One of my best carrying positions for them was to hold them in a face out low cradle - one arm underneath holding them, and the other arm in front of them. I’d often put the palm of my ‘in front’ hand up against their belly to give warmth & pressure. Definately good for long walking sessions in the evening as it isn’t one sided.

Again remember to try to relax as much as possible when you are carrying them, it really will help.

In my experience, the most colicky & fussy babies grow up to be great communicators - is it really ‘gas’???

Whoops jhferry, didn’t see your last post about the acid reflux etc. Obviously it is gas in that case. I was musing more generally about colic.

Our 2nd son ended up having a ‘fundoplication’ (stomach wrap to tighten valve) due to reflux issues. It did work, but it’s too long a story for here.

All the best…

Any ideas on how to keep you “body” from getting cramps while rotating 3 babies? My wife and I are about to have triplets. These are not our first kids but they are our first triplets.

[quote]Scottish 190 wrote:
Any ideas on how to keep you “body” from getting cramps while rotating 3 babies? My wife and I are about to have triplets. These are not our first kids but they are our first triplets. [/quote]

Um, wow. I’ll pray for you, bud!

Congrats!
Matt

Well If I can figure out how to get rid of this hand cramp with one kid. It doesnt go away when I put him down and of course it is at its worse when I hold dumbells or a barbell.

[quote]StrongMan wrote:
Ladyjaine is right. I have had similar problems in the past with my 2 kids.

Basically, just relax when you hold the kid. My issues were my traps would tense up and get really tight.

Just relax and try another position.[/quote]

you just nailed it. it’s all in the trap tension that’s causing impingement in the nerves that go down the arms. I think its a mild case of carpal tunnell syndrome.

DB

[quote]StrongMan wrote:
but once they are a little older, carrying them on your shoulders is THE way to go. Just wear a hat if he/she is a drooly kid.

I also do good mornings while he’s up there; he thinks it’s fun.[/quote]

Just be careful that you don’t go to far forward. You can’t chuck them into a rack to bail yourself out. It happened to me once, luckily, I was in front of a bed and only ended up face-planting us both on the mattress. The kid liked it, my nose didn’t.

DB

[quote]Scottish 190 wrote:
Any ideas on how to keep you “body” from getting cramps while rotating 3 babies? My wife and I are about to have triplets. These are not our first kids but they are our first triplets. [/quote]

God help you. Never had multiple births, thankfully, 3 singles are enough. I’ve heard its easier to do it the other way around (have the trips first) and all subsequent kids seem easy. All I can suggest is get help - ask for it and never it turn it down when offered. Good luck.

DB

Mine’s three now, so he likes to do the shoulder ride. Matter of fact we were on a weekend to Chicago last week and I walked everywhere with him up there. No need for an X-Vest with a 40 lber on your shoulders!

The big thing is to switch, switch, switch. I used to look at holding him like a workout, try to give equal time to both arms. I also like the “facing out” carry…with one arm across belly, sit the baby on the arm and then the other arm on the child’s chest holding them to your body. Once again, switch it up.