T Nation

Herschel Walker is Still JACKED at 47

http://video.ap.org/?f=FLMIH&pid=hJfxNdiT9COWm_HR6n5qE8DZRTDDqlbd

WOW…

Hitting your 40’s doesn’t mean what it used to. Most of the truly top names in bodybuilding are either close to or over 40 at this point. I have even noticed this with many of my patients. When I was a kid, “40 years old” was truly over the hill. Now, it seems many people are just hitting their stride at that age IF they trained hard and stayed in shape to that point.

Look at many of the women hitting their 40’s now. Was there even a such thing as a “MILF” in 1980?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Look at many of the women hitting their 40’s now. Was there even a such thing as a “MILF” in 1980?[/quote]

This^

It’s gotten to the point now where some of the 45 year old women look hotter than the 25 year old women. Go figure.

Hitting your 40’s doesn’t mean what it used to. Most of the truly top names in bodybuilding are either close to or over 40 at this point. I have even noticed this with many of my patients. When I was a kid, “40 years old” was truly over the hill. Now, it seems many people are just hitting their stride at that age IF they trained hard and stayed in shape to that point.

Look at many of the women hitting their 40’s now. Was there even a such thing as a “MILF” in 1980?[/quote]

Prof X. Using your terminology, and criteria…would you say that Herschel Walker has the type of physique that shouts, “I lift wights!” ?

[quote]studgorilla wrote:

Prof X. Using your terminology, and criteria…would you say that Herschel Walker has the type of physique that shouts, “I lift wights!” ?[/quote]
And delving deeper into this, is Prof X telling us that he thinks Herschel Walker is a MILF?

Prof X. Using your terminology, and criteria…would you say that Herschel Walker has the type of physique that shouts, “I lift wights!” ?[/quote]

I’m not quite sure what you are getting at…but I swear if I drove to South Houston or 3rd Ward when it warms up, you could find 50 brothers that size and bigger who don’t do shit but play basketball all day.

That is why it amazed me years back when we had that big discussion about what constitutes “average” arm size for grown men who don’t lift. I never even knew most people experienced grown men with arms smaller than 13".

It comes down to genetics and environment because if you grow up in a rough neighborhood with 13" arms, you had better either be funny, fast as hell, hit like a linebacker…or ready to gain some weight so your ass doesn’t get beat.

What does this have to do with anything though?

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:

This^

It’s gotten to the point now where some of the 45 year old women look hotter than the 25 year old women. Go figure.
[/quote]

Damn dude, you have made some good progress man…

Shit, nice fucking taper.

yeah, he looked good.

Herschel’s truly a genetic anonomly, though…

he’s been very vocal of never lifting weights, and doing only calisthenics to build his strength and speed, and was able to convert from football to bobsledding as well. plus, i’m sure his work ethic and lifestyle of competitive athletics have helped him out, too…

I’m not quite sure what you are getting at…but I swear if I drove to South Houston or 3rd Ward when it warms up, you could find 50 brothers that size and bigger who don’t do shit but play basketball all day.

That is why it amazed me years back when we had that big discussion about what constitutes “average” arm size for grown men who don’t lift. I never even knew most people experienced grown men with arms smaller than 13".

It comes down to genetics and environment because if you grow up in a rough neighborhood with 13" arms, you had better either be funny, fast as hell, hit like a linebacker…or ready to gain some weight so your ass doesn’t get beat.

What does this have to do with anything though?[/quote]

I’ve always appreciated your bluntness, frankness and perspective. You’ve used the phrase “looks like he lifts weights” before when describing people…and I think I knew what you meant. I also know folks who think anybody benching 225 or sporting any visble muscularity must be on 'roids, and I’m frustrated and disappointed by such mass ignorance.

Then we have Mr. Walker. A “middle-aged” dude with the kind of physique that 99.9% of the gym-goers will never attain…yet he’s famous for “not lifting weights”. Just wanted to hear your take, in light of the casually used phrase…“looks like he lifts”. Thanks

I’ve always appreciated your bluntness, frankness and perspective. You’ve used the phrase “looks like he lifts weights” before when describing people…and I think I knew what you meant. I also know folks who think anybody benching 225 or sporting any visble muscularity must be on 'roids, and I’m frustrated and disappointed by such mass ignorance.

Then we have Mr. Walker. A “middle-aged” dude with the kind of physique that 99.9% of the gym-goers will never attain…yet he’s famous for “not lifting weights”. Just wanted to hear your take, in light of the casually used phrase…“looks like he lifts”. Thanks [/quote]

The only reason the phrase “looks like he lifts” EVER came up is because of the overload of people lately who claim they train hard…but who don’t look like they’ve seen the inside of a gym ever.

Walker is in great shape…about as great a shape as I have seen on very active people growing up who played sports of some kind and maintained that level of intensity.

Comparing him…a professional ex-football player who is roughly in the same shape as his best days on the field with the average person on this site who claims they are overtraining because they worked out more than twice this week…is a huge fucking mistake. They are on two different planets.

If the average gym goer had the mentality that they were going to lift weights as if they were going to war, THEN we would never have to make comments about “he looks like he lifts weights”.

How many people here who claim to have lifted for 10+ years do you think look anything like Walker does right now?

Hint…that is because of his work ethic, something you either have or you don’t.

I bet HE doesn’t whine about overtraining.

Then we have Mr. Walker. A “middle-aged” dude with the kind of physique that 99.9% of the gym-goers will never attain…yet he’s famous for “not lifting weights”. Just wanted to hear your take, in light of the casually used phrase…“looks like he lifts”. Thanks [/quote]

The only reason the phrase “looks like he lifts” EVER came up is because of the overload of people lately who claim they train hard…but who don’t look like they’ve seen the inside of a gym ever.

Walker is in great shape…about as great a shape as I have seen on very active people growing up who played sports of some kind and maintained that level of intensity.

Comparing him…a professional ex-football player who is roughly in the same shape as his best days on the field with the average person on this site who claims they are overtraining because they worked out more than twice this week…is a huge fucking mistake. They are on two different planets.

If the average gym goer had the mentality that they were going to lift weights as if they were going to war, THEN we would never have to make comments about “he looks like he lifts weights”.

How many people here who claim to have lifted for 10+ years do you think look anything like Walker does right now?

Hint…that is because of his work ethic, something you either have or you don’t.

I bet HE doesn’t whine about overtraining.
[/quote]
All good points, Prof X. Thanks. I wasn’t trying to make a point. Just asking you, by your definition and criteria, would you put Herschel in the catagory of “looks like he lifts weights” or not? I’m not talking about the average, ignorant, pussy complaining about overtraining.

Or some sheltered suburbanite house-wife scared of too much protein. I’m simply asking you. What catagory does he fall into? I’d place him in the “looks like he lifts” catagory. I might be more generous with my definition than you, though.

Also, we know he doesn’t lift weights much. Incredible toughness, work ethic, genetics, discipline, desire… no doubt. But not weightlifter. So, I’m just curious of your opinion/definition> Nothing more than that.

All good points, Prof X. Thanks. I wasn’t trying to make a point. Just asking you, by your definition and criteria, would you put Herschel in the catagory of “looks like he lifts weights” or not? I’m not talking about the average, ignorant, pussy complaining about overtraining.

Or some sheltered suburbanite house-wife scared of too much protein. I’m simply asking you. What catagory does he fall into? I’d place him in the “looks like he lifts” catagory. I might be more generous with my definition than you, though.

Also, we know he doesn’t lift weights much. Incredible toughness, work ethic, genetics, discipline, desire… no doubt. But not weightlifter. So, I’m just curious of your opinion/definition> Nothing more than that. [/quote]

If I saw someone just like him in the gym, he would appear to me like someone who spent more time doing more aerobic activity than weight lifting, ie. clearly in shape but not carrying enough muscle for me to think he puts up any huge numbers at all in the weight room. So, yes, he would look like he lifted weights…a little.

I think I had at least matched his overall size (not current leanness) after a couple years of lifting…but that is just my opinion looking at old pictures.

Also, we know he doesn’t lift weights much. Incredible toughness, work ethic, genetics, discipline, desire… no doubt. But not weightlifter. So, I’m just curious of your opinion/definition> Nothing more than that. [/quote]

If I saw someone just like him in the gym, he would appear to me like someone who spent more time doing more aerobic activity than weight lifting, ie. clearly in shape but not carrying enough muscle for me to think he puts up any huge numbers at all in the weight room. So, yes, he would look like he lifted weights…a little.

I think I had at least matched his overall size (not current leanness) after a couple years of lifting…but that is just my opinion looking at old pictures.[/quote]

Thanks, Prof X.

he looks great! good for him to stay dedicated and not become another “I got fat after football and look at me on a NutriSystem diet”. haha

It does have to do with genetics and which workouts are best for you. I worked with a guy at a bar who was in his upper 30’s who lived on red bull and cigarettes. Ive never seen anyone toss a full keg like him. he was just a natural monster.

I think I had at least matched his overall size (not current leanness) after a couple years of lifting…but that is just my opinion looking at old pictures.[/quote]

I think it’s hard for people to understand the “time” aspect of bodybuilding. It IS necessary to give your body the time to adapt to increased weight. It IS necessary to lift long enough to be huge.

No one steps into a gym everyday for 10 years and has nothing to show for it. Even if they only look like they’ve lifted for a few years, they still can show something.

Unless they head straight to the stair master, but I think the point is stepping into a gym to lift weights

What about Stacy’s Mom?

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

What about Stacy’s Mom?
[/quote]

Stacy was born WELL AFTER 1980…nice try :D.

And OP, this thread is WAY better than your thread about Greg Oden…

EDIT: Proof…and an excuse to post the song-

Thanks, Prof X. [/quote]

Why are so many people on this guy’s nuts like some kind of pussies ? You thanked the man 5 times already for posting you back ? Also the tone of your posts to him as if you’re afraid to say a wrong word like he’s gonna e-slap you. And this forum is called “testosterone”. FFS man up.

he looks awesome… regardless of his age or how he keeps his body in amazing shape :slight_smile:
proud of this bulldog!!! :slight_smile:

He’s awesome. Love’em.