T Nation

Hero in NYC

I saw this story today. This guy is a real hero in my book. Those trains, if you’ve never seen one up close, are huge and loud. I can’t imagine the kind of balls this guy had along with self sacrafice to save a fellow man who was a complete stranger.

Man Is Rescued by Stranger on Subway Tracks

By CARA BUCKLEY
Published: January 3, 2007
It was every subway rider?s nightmare, times two.

Tina Fineberg for The New York Times

Wesley Autrey.
Who has ridden along New York?s 656 miles of subway lines and not wondered: ?What if I fell to the tracks as a train came in? What would I do??

And who has not thought: ?What if someone else fell? Would I jump to the rescue??

Wesley Autrey, a 50-year-old construction worker and Navy veteran, faced both those questions in a flashing instant yesterday, and got his answers almost as quickly.

Mr. Autrey was waiting for the downtown local at 137th Street and Broadway in Manhattan around 12:45 p.m. He was taking his two daughters, Syshe, 4, and Shuqui, 6, home before work.

Nearby, a man collapsed, his body convulsing. Mr. Autrey and two women rushed to help, he said. The man, Cameron Hollopeter, 20, managed to get up, but then stumbled to the platform edge and fell to the tracks, between the two rails.

The headlights of the No. 1 train appeared. ?I had to make a split decision,? Mr. Autrey said.

So he made one, and leapt.

Mr. Autrey lay on Mr. Hollopeter, his heart pounding, pressing him down in a space roughly a foot deep. The train?s brakes screeched, but it could not stop in time.

Five cars rolled overhead before the train stopped, the cars passing inches from his head, smudging his blue knit cap with grease. Mr. Autrey heard onlookers? screams. ?We?re O.K. down here,? he yelled, ?but I?ve got two daughters up there. Let them know their father?s O.K.? He heard cries of wonder, and applause.

Power was cut, and workers got them out. Mr. Hollopeter, a student at the New York Film Academy, was taken to St. Luke?s-Roosevelt Hospital Center. He had only bumps and bruises, said his grandfather, Jeff Friedman. The police said it appeared that Mr. Hollopeter had suffered a seizure.

Mr. Autrey refused medical help, because, he said, nothing was wrong. He did visit Mr. Hollopeter in the hospital before heading to his night shift. ?I don?t feel like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help,? Mr. Autrey said. ?I did what I felt was right.?

[quote]hedo wrote:
I saw this story today. This guy is a real hero in my book. Those trains, if you’ve never seen one up close, are huge and loud. I can’t imagine the kind of balls this guy had along with self sacrafice to save a fellow man who was a complete stranger.

Man Is Rescued by Stranger on Subway Tracks

By CARA BUCKLEY
Published: January 3, 2007
It was every subway rider?s nightmare, times two.

Tina Fineberg for The New York Times

Wesley Autrey.
Who has ridden along New York?s 656 miles of subway lines and not wondered: ?What if I fell to the tracks as a train came in? What would I do??

And who has not thought: ?What if someone else fell? Would I jump to the rescue??

Wesley Autrey, a 50-year-old construction worker and Navy veteran, faced both those questions in a flashing instant yesterday, and got his answers almost as quickly.

Mr. Autrey was waiting for the downtown local at 137th Street and Broadway in Manhattan around 12:45 p.m. He was taking his two daughters, Syshe, 4, and Shuqui, 6, home before work.

Nearby, a man collapsed, his body convulsing. Mr. Autrey and two women rushed to help, he said. The man, Cameron Hollopeter, 20, managed to get up, but then stumbled to the platform edge and fell to the tracks, between the two rails.

The headlights of the No. 1 train appeared. ?I had to make a split decision,? Mr. Autrey said.

So he made one, and leapt.

Mr. Autrey lay on Mr. Hollopeter, his heart pounding, pressing him down in a space roughly a foot deep. The train?s brakes screeched, but it could not stop in time.

Five cars rolled overhead before the train stopped, the cars passing inches from his head, smudging his blue knit cap with grease. Mr. Autrey heard onlookers? screams. ?We?re O.K. down here,? he yelled, ?but I?ve got two daughters up there. Let them know their father?s O.K.? He heard cries of wonder, and applause.

Power was cut, and workers got them out. Mr. Hollopeter, a student at the New York Film Academy, was taken to St. Luke?s-Roosevelt Hospital Center. He had only bumps and bruises, said his grandfather, Jeff Friedman. The police said it appeared that Mr. Hollopeter had suffered a seizure.

Mr. Autrey refused medical help, because, he said, nothing was wrong. He did visit Mr. Hollopeter in the hospital before heading to his night shift. ?I don?t feel like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help,? Mr. Autrey said. ?I did what I felt was right.?

[/quote]

Saw this story this morning - definitely a hero.

When I saw the story on the news…I thought WOW!!! there actually some real heros’s in this world…I’d like to say I’d do the same…but…I don’t know…and honestly hope I never have to find out.
the world needs more people like that.

yeah thats awsome.

Man, that’s a great guy!

I get off at the same stop for school, 137th and Broadway, and when you actually see that Number 1 coming down the track there is literally less than 15 seconds before it roars by, and getting hit by that would be one of the worse ways to die.

[quote]iksrtfo28 wrote:
When I saw the story on the news…I thought WOW!!! there actually some real heros’s in this world…I’d like to say I’d do the same…but…I don’t know…and honestly hope I never have to find out.
the world needs more people like that.[/quote]

I thought the same thing…man I just don’t know if I would do it or not, especially with my two kids standing on the platform with me. Guess that’s why this guy is a hero.

I ride it every day and still can’t say if I’d do the same. There’s a groove in the middle of the tracks precisely so you can do this, but to actually jump-in takes some serious sack power.

Dude has a big pair of brass one’s.

Wow, that is Great!!! The guy is truely a Hero!!!

Amazing stuff.