Herniated Disk and Sciatica Help

So I have only been to my local gp and a chiropractor (never again will I visit a chiropractor) I am 90% sure its a slipped disk on my L5 and now I’m having pain in my left side of my hip and buttocks. Anyone have any advice on the best treatment for this I had the herniated disk about 4-3 weeks ago it gets better but then every now and again when I’m in the gym I will randomly get nasty pain and have to end my workout I have stopped doing heavy deads and squats and have been working around the injury pretty good, still making gains.

Here’s my experience. I had disc surgery for L5 L6 about 30 years ago, total success. The few times the sharp pain down my leg has reappeared, I have used a waterproof heating pad equipped with a thin sponge which allows moist heat to penetrate my lower back area.

I put a hard/thick pillow under my stomach and then I lie on stomach with the pad on my lower back for about 30 minutes and watch tv. Usually on medium heat or less. This has worked every time, along with walking as much as possible.

Sleeping on the floor also works no matter how hard a mattress you have.

[quote]biker wrote:
Here’s my experience. I had disc surgery for L5 L6 about 30 years ago, total success. The few times the sharp pain down my leg has reappeared, I have used a waterproof heating pad equipped with a thin sponge which allows moist heat to penetrate my lower back area.

I put a hard/thick pillow under my stomach and then I lie on stomach with the pad on my lower back for about 30 minutes and watch tv. Usually on medium heat or less. This has worked every time, along with walking as much as possible.

Sleeping on the floor also works no matter how hard a mattress you have. [/quote]
How did you go getting back to lifting after the surgery. My back doesn’t hurt while lying down it usually sitting and stand that give me a bit of pain. Who should I go see for treatment im a bit lost with all the medical professions as I have never really had an injury, shit I have never even broken a bone…

Look up Dr. Stuart McGill if you haven’t already. Basically what he’d tell you to do is strengthen your inner abdominal wall. I have a L5/S1 herniation and this did wonders for me. You want to prevent the lumbar spine from moving at all. When you have a herniated disk this becomes even more important to prevent pain and make sure you’re not putting load on the disk.

Be prepared to take some time off of lifting to rest the injury and improve your motor patterns/strengthen the posterior chain/inner abdominal wall.

Locate a good physiotherapist who specializes in sports injuries & work on building up your core/glutes with him apart from the other treatment they provide.

If you cant take a few weeks completely off then refrain from doing big compound lifts (Deads, Squats, Overhead Press) so your body can heal itself. Stick to SEATED lifts as much as you can for now. Go light and utilize this time to build up your core/back muscles. Once your core is in shape and activated it will aid your spine and it will take the pressure of your sciatic nerve which is being compressed right now.

[quote]kenny-mccormick wrote:

How did you go getting back to lifting after the surgery. My back doesn’t hurt while lying down it usually sitting and stand that give me a bit of pain. Who should I go see for treatment im a bit lost with all the medical professions as I have never really had an injury, shit I have never even broken a bone…[/quote]

I just saw your question. I had a home gym at the time of surgery and I just started lifting really light probably within 6 months or so after surgery, and I just kept lifting. If something hurt I didn’t do it. No squats for probably a few years, and I can remember doing squats before surgery if that can be believed. I fully remember how comfortable lying down on my back felt, and how incredibly painful lying on my stomach felt, before the surgery. I have found that over the years a lot of sitting or a lot of standing for excessive periods will cause a slight pain to reappear. That’s when I go into self treatment to cure it. You seem to have a repeat of my symptoms. I was told my disc was totally demolished, so the surgeon cleaned it out to let scar tissue fill the area. Nowadays I understand neurosurgeons or ortho guys don’t favor surgery, but if they do it is done about as an outpatient procedure. Amazing. Go see a neurologist first and he may send you to an ortho guy for surgery. I had lost 2 reflexes before I decided to have them cut. That’s the risk.

Just to update I havnt had any pain for about 2 weeks now today I pulled sets 140kg for 10 reps easy as no pain nothing. Basicly I avoid heavy squats and deads for awhile lots of back extensions working up in weight stretching twice a day and basicly lightly working my lower back hips and abs every second day seems as if I have made a full recovery and my lumbar flexibility is better then it was before. Thankyou all for your help

Glad to read you’re pain free at moment. I don’t remember ever having a time like that in my agony experience. This stuff can come and go. I know people who have never had surgery and who live well with the recurring pain. You’ll get back to heavy deads and squats, just go easy awhile on those.

At my best after surgery I was doing 455 squats/deads with no problem other than I was almost 50 at the time. Stretching the back on a roman chair or anything else handy between sets of squats/deads works. Even when you don’t have any pain, try to not drive a lot, sit still in one place too long, or stand up for excessive periods. Stay loose. Walk.