Herniated Disc

Heed the warnings: if you have a degenerative problem it means it’s only going to get worse. You can hasten this process by weight training. That is the stark reality. We all love lifting iron but sometimes you have to appreciate that it can fuck you up.

I’ve have two prolapsed discs, L5 also having an annular tear. Time, as well as an acceptance of what I can and can’t do, has ensured I can keep training. For me, this has meant an end to BB squats and deadlifts. I switched to unilateral work, e.g. lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc, as well as goblet/DB squats. DBs and KBs also help to reduce spinal compression. I also need to watch movements that promote spinal flexion.

Can’t emphasise enough core strengthening. Simple planks are great, especially using the Swiss ball.

What’s encouraged me throughout this process is you don’t need to lift super heavy to get size and/or comp progress. I’m personally making good progress at the moment with a set of 20kg KBs. Full body circuit sessions x3 per week. Trying to throw in GPP in between. All done keeping the lower back happy.

Good luck brother.

thaks guys for u’re advices

Look into belt squats buddy. I met a strong as hell guy who was 58 years old a few years ago, and he recommended these. This is just a suggestion, something to add to your tool belt. I know Iron Mind sells these belts if you’re interested.

to JamesBrawn007:You ended squats and deadlifts cause u can’t do them cause of the pain of the back?Or you ended them to prevent more damage?And you said you dont have to lift super heavy,does this mean i can deadlift and squat with lighter weights,and more reps and of course with perfect form?