T Nation

Herniated Disc, Squats, Power Training.

Im a football player who suffered a herniated disc (l5 s1). I want ask if it is posible with this type of injury to squat deadlift, and do power excesices like snatchs and cleans.

I know I have to build a very strong core specially the abs, glutes and lumbar muscles.
Some said not to ever squat again, others told it can be done with some precautions. What do you think???
Cheers

Ignore the folks telling you can never squat again.
Read this thread.
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2296632&pageNo=0#2303917

Gi2eg’s plan is excellent.

You need to get glutes fireing, stretch your hip flexors, do tons of back-sparing unilateral work, get a much stronger core, and practice squatting with your lumbar spine in neutral extension.

It will take time, but, with patience and a level head, you will get there.

thanks flow.

and yeah i had to stay away from conventional for even longer, only recently started going a bit heavier.

last week i went 415lbsx5 off a 3 inch block, no pain in my back, recovery was fine.

you can never get your midsection too strong, and pay attention to the little things throughout the day (never flex/twist, even if youre picking up a piece of paper. sleep with a pillow underneath the knees. birddog/plank often).

good luck, and play it smart/slow

Find the best chiro you can afford and get intermittent treatment( say once a month+) for at least a year

Thanks a lot guys, Ill try to follow the lumbar stabillity thread and see what can I achieve.
Cheers and thanks again

[quote]matibu wrote:
Im a football player who suffered a herniated disc (l5 s1). I want ask if it is posible with this type of injury to squat deadlift, and do power excesices like snatchs and cleans.

I know I have to build a very strong core specially the abs, glutes and lumbar muscles.
Some said not to ever squat again, others told it can be done with some precautions. What do you think???
Cheers
[/quote]

I did the same thing last December. I am now squatting and pulling more than I did preinjury and I love power cleans.

I’ll second that - blew out L4-L5 November 06, got surgery last September and was back to serious lifting within 6 months. I did a lot of core stability work before I got back to the big lifts but it worked out and I haven’t had a problem with the Disc since (other back isssues, but not from the Disc).