Hernia: Any Relevant Anecdotes?

I seem to have developed an umbilical hernia, I’d like to hear anecdotes from those who have acquired hernias and some other unspecified issues that I’m not getting into because I don’t feel comfortable doing so on a public forum (the last year has not… been… easy) I’ve finally gotten back into lifting over the past six months as I had been sidelined due to issues I won’t delve into on here (switched to cardio during this time)

Lifting weights, particularly heavy loads for high volumes makes me happy. Doing unfortunately so puts me at risk of injury moreso than the average individual, though by being relatively careful I’ve managed to avoid anything seriously incapacitating for the better part of six months or so.

As of recent, an umbilical hernia appears to have popped up out of the blue. This is upsetting to me as weightlifting is currently my prime method of stress relief. I’m aware hernias don’t go away on their own, and most eventually require surgery. I have an appointment with my doc scheduled for the near future and will be going from there.

My question is, does anyone here have any relevant experience/anecdotes. The thought of being put out of action for six months is admittedly an unsettling and upsetting one. It would appear eventual surgery may be inevitable. If I think logically, I’d rather have the surgery prior to acquiring strangulation or a ruptured hernia (rare) as this would put me out for even longer.

it’s taken me the better part of 4-5 months to get my strength back to where it used to be, the thought of having to wait 6-12 months without any additional progress is… well upsetting.

Not sure I’ll be helpful but am in similar situation and have been for about 10 years. I showed my Doc and he said he could fix it but that there’s no guarantee it will keep; to go on with my life until it becomes an issue. So far, it’s a little bigger but no real problem except I’m tired of looking at it. I’d say see the doc and do what you’re told; get over being ‘disappointed’ or whatever and when ready, get back to the weights as the doc allows/prescribes. I’m pretty sure you can lift in 8-12 weeks after but you won’t be setting any deadlift records in any case so why worry? It doesn’t sound like you’re a lifetime lifter (same here) so just look at it that way. FWIW, I’m setting an appointment and moving forward and recently was as strong as I’ve ever been at 58yo so I totally get what you’re saying but health and longevity wins the day.

3 Likes

@T3hPwnisher

Didn’t know where I should ask this but I feel as if you have quite a bit of relevant experience. So it looks as if I’m going to require surgery, I’ll find out for sure in a few days

If I truly do require a triple/quadruple repair the recovery may be rather arduous, and from what little research I have conducted it appears complications following hernia repair in young, physically active men aren’t all that uncommon; particularly relating to post operative chronic neuropathic pain at the site of surgery.

I don’t wish to loose ALL of my muscle mass following surgery. I’m aware I’ll lose some, and I’ll probably lose most of my strength if I can’t deadlift/squat heavily for 6+ months.

Rather I’m wondering what supplementary exercise/dietary modifications I can undertake to do my best to maintain my frame. I believe one is cleared to swim fairly soon after surgery, swim fast enough and the workout is primarily anaerobic.

Other activities that will be on the table rather quickly are cycling… that’s probably about it. HIIT intervals perhaps?

any advice?

I appreciate you reaching out dude. I’ve never had a hernia operation before. I can’t really speak to what to do while recovering from one, but in regards to losing strength/mass I can say that anything that is lost quickly is regained just as quickly, and anything that took a long time to gain takes a long time to lose. I looked pretty skinny immediately post ACL surgery, but it all came back pretty quick.

1 Like

Well shit… Had the surgery.

Was told it’d only be a small incision, I was also told the discomfort would only be minor

I have very obvious incisions across the sites of surgical intervention of which have been stapled/stitched shut.

(I’m about to rant, whine and complain like a little bitch)

Walking hurts, going from sitting to standing hurts, putting on socks in the morning hurts the most, one of my testicles has swollen up to double it’s normal size… I’m constantly inebriated due to the high dosage of painkillers they’ve been prescribed for post-operative pain management. I’ve had to come home because I’m not insured to drive for 5 days post op, either way I wouldn’t be able to go to college as I wouldn’t be able to walk up the stairs to my dorm.

I can’t feel anything around the site of one incision, I’ve been told sensation may never come back within this region. If the discomfort was only going to be minor, why would they prescribe post operative opiates. Should’ve picked up on that as a red flag.

I remember waking up from the surgery, I tried to look up in effort to see what my stomach looked like and almost instantaneously I realised “wow, this hurts quite a bit”. They had to repair more than one hernia, so the pain is far more widespread as opposed to surgical intervention being conducted on one region of the body.

This sucks… DAMMIT… I’m walking as much as possible to avoid excessive de-conditioning. When the severe pain subsides i’ll start cycling/swimming. From thereon it’s physiotherapy and a practical, pragmatic incorporation of weight lifting

How many days post op?

Currently on third day

I’m cleared to drive soon, then I can go back to college. Dragging my suitcase up all those stairs might be a challenge though :sweat_smile:

At the moment I’m lying in bed. I’m going on regular walks/implementing VERY minimally intensive abdominal exercises + physiotherapy. Tommorow I’ll go for a short cycle and do some elliptical.

I’m doing whatever I can, whenever I can. The sooner I’m back up on my feet, the sooner I can recover coupled with a lesser chance of my chronic pain flaring up to unbearable proportions. Inactivity always tends to make things worse.

1 Like

You are going to be FINE. Give it a little time. Don’t get carried away doing too much too soon.

1 Like

Yeet

Getting carried away with lifting heavy (relative to my size) weights was what got me into this situation to begin with :laughing:

Shit happens! The important question is… did you learn anything?

I learnt that I need to achieve my goals even QUICKER before my body gives out on me! Jokes

It was fun while it lasted, my DL 1RM was around 470-480lbs at a BW of 16, I consider that fairly respectable. I’ve been told due to genetic predisposition if I keep lifting like that I’ll acquire another hernia in rapid succession, so I’ll be switching back to bodybuilding as opposed to primarily strength based training.

Training to lift weights like that didn’t appear to have many advantages. Aesthetically I looked better when I couldn’t even deadlift 415 for one rep… I looked better when I didn’t even do squats but substituted squats for leg press, hack squats, leg extensions, lunges and leg curls!

A muscle doesn’t know how much weight is under the bar, rather it knows it’s working under resistance. With enough TUT, adequate stimulation etc one can build a nice, athletic and injury proof physique without resorting to lifting stupid weights for the sake of satisfying ego.

I’ve learnt to be more careful as to avoid dealing with this conundrum again. I’d assume normal young adults generally don’t have to deal with this, but I have a genetic predisposition for hernias due to my connective tissue abnormalities. I guess that’s just the way it is, life isn’t always fair. At least I’m not blind, paralysed or crippled, I’m grateful to have come as far as I’ve gotten considering I was told I’d never be able to lift weights again back in my mid teens.

1 Like

That’s the spirit! You did not come this far, just to come this far. Keep on, keeping on!

1 Like

How have you been? How has the hyperthyroid situation panned out?

I have been mostly good, once in a while I will do something that causes a flare up but no major meltdowns for a while now.