Here's Your Torture Thread

Hey Push, thanks for the torture thread!

Lets get to it :smiling_imp:

I realized the other day that if I was ever being tortured by terrorists they would simply have to lock me in a car with a screaming infant and within about 3 minutes I would tell them anything. If I had the nuclear codes I would give them the nuclear codes, not gonna lie.

1 Like

How dare you talk about something, when you had the gall not take a class on it freshman year.

How arrogant and presumptuous of you.

1 Like

different cultures have used different torture methods over the years,as a method of punishment,and or a method of getting information
morality of torture is questionable
or is it?

Check out the movie “Unthinkable” with Samuel Jackson. I liked it and was suprised it was one of those direct to video movies.

I feel pretty much the same way. He apparently does every film that is offered to him. And on top of that he has always had very limited acting skills, at least in my opinion.

Is he more or less played out than Paul Giamatti?

I’m no Jackson fanboy -I thought his character in Pulp Fiction was the typical way over the top stuff that everybody loves to rave about. I was flipping TV channels and this flick caught my eye. The guy being tortured is the actor of note; looked him up -Michael Sheen, married to Sarah Silverman recently so his tolerance for pain is real LMAOOOOOO!!!

(I mentioned Jackson because the title is a common word, and he is an easily recognizable name.)

Range in actors is overrated imo. Samuel L Jackson, Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson - they are the same pretty much every damn time. If the thinkers/makers behind the movie can use the actors wisely, then the movie will be well done

Unthinkable is well done. Samuel L Jackson works well for the role he plays. I didn’t like the movie personally because in the middle of watching I got a sense that I was being led down a dark path by dark forces, blah blah - I’m paranoid like that.

It’s thought provoking and most of you that read this would probably enjoy watching. It’s been years - I might try watching it again and see if my vision has changed much

Dr. Peter R. Mansoor, Colonel, U.S. Army (Ret.), is the General Raymond E. Mason Jr. Chair of Military History at The Ohio State University. He served in the Iraq War as the commander of the 1st Brigade, 1st Armored Division (2003-2004) and as executive officer to General David Petraeus, command of Multi-National Force-Iraq, in 2007-2008.

Another desk warrior (whatever those are).

Bump. Anyone willing to address McChystal or Mansoor?

I think there are three questions that need to be answered.

First, how do we define torture,
Second, is torture morally acceptable, and if so
Is torture effective?

Personally, while I believe in the objective value of every human life I tend to take a utilitarian, tribalistic view of torture (I’ll waterboard 10 of them to save one of us).

That being said, the efficacy of torture is so questionable that I think it needs to be ruled out in all but the most clear-cut of cases and I think those cases are incredibly rare and mostly seen in movies, not real life.

1 Like

dr_lyle_chipperson wrote:

“…Torture does work…”

So you’re saying it works…