Begin...The Rest is Easy

Got out of work for a bit and hit a back workout will do biceps at home tonight.

12 min walk
Pulldown: 90 (per side) x 10, 115 3x8
Tbar row: 95 3x10
Straight arm pulldown: 60 3x10
Back raises: 2x10, 25lbs 2x10

My pulldown machine has the least grippy grip ever, forearms were pumped from holding on for dear life. Below is the “Tbar”, not exactly that but my lats were feeling good

2 Likes

Walked a few more miles, went to the store then just went and did arms.

Didn’t feel like doing much so I did
Axle x100
But I did them unbroken for the first time ever, decided I was going for it at 70, pump is insane.

My overall uptick in activity is making it hard for my legs to recover even with improved protein intake. Been averaging 13k plus the last 3 days including a hike, squatted the day before those 3 and my legs are feeling fatigued. Might drop it back to like 7k tomorrow and do a bench session

3 Likes

Pro tip:

Every rubber handle makes straps basically impossible to use. Take a paper towel in each had and wrap it once (not rolling over it self) and you will have unlocked almost unlimited grip strength. It’s what I do with every rubber handle and it’s mind blowing how good it works

1 Like

My gym currently only has some clorox wipe thing available in my main space, might have to run to the bathroom to get some paper towels before next back day lol. I definitely used that trick for deadlifting before I had straps, might have to give it another shot!

1 Like

So I was walking down my stairs last night, heading to bed, in the dark and missed the last step. I normally have my toes hanging off the end of the stair (large feet) and so when I missed the step I just ended up putting my big toe down, folding it under and stepping on that. Hurt like a motherfucker and is bruised to shit but I think it’s just a sprain and isn’t too bad to walk on, calling it a win. Guess that was the easiest way to keep my steps down.

Bench:
Shoulder warmup
Tricep rope: 35 2 x15
Bench: 135 x 10, 205 x 5, 245 x 5 (wraps), 275 x 3, 315 x 2, 345 x 3 (slingshot), 365 x 3 (ss), 375 x 2 (ss), 225 2x5 (close grip), 225 2x5 (wide grip)
Overhead band tris: 3x10
Pullups: 1x3 (unassisted), 2x6 (assisted)

Haven’t used the slingshot much since I’ve had it, was pretty fun. I need to train with a wider grip occasionally to get more chest involvement, my triceps dominate the movement which is fine but not ideal. Feel confident I could get 405 with the slingshot but don’t plan on it anytime soon. Haven’t had much in the way of carbs, except through veggies (tomatoes, onions, peppers, zucchini), and am guessing that’s why this workout kicked my ass.

Going to go take a short walk and test out the toe some more.

3 Likes

Toe is feeling pretty much normal!

Jumped out of work and got some legs done

10 min walk
Shoulder Warmup
Duffalo Squats: 145 x 5 195 x5 245 x 5, 285 x 3, 305 x 5, 325 x 5, 345 x 5 (rough), 235 x 10 (short rest, rougher)
RDL: 115 x 10, 205 2 x 8, 255 x 6
Leg extensions: 90 x 15, 110 x 15, 130 x 15.

Already at 8k steps, might run tonight depending on how the gf is feeling will probably make it to 12k steps either way. Really pleased with how my training and diet are going at the moment

3 Likes

Wanted to take a day off lifting, probably needed it. Decided to run instead, got about 100 plods in and decided I was going to do a 5k today.

Ran it at 11:01 pace, first 2.6 miles we’re about 11:15 so I picked it up the last half mile. Probably should’ve just stayed at an easy pace but I’m happy I did it. PRs set are slowest 5k I’ve ever run and heaviest I’ve ever run a 5k (296 lbs). Hoping to not duplicate that again lol

Parents are coming into town from tomorrow until Tuesday then I head to NYC for some debauchery the rest of the week, will try and keep the training up until I leave and count my vacation as a deload

3 Likes

Had a few ciders and pizza last night, really cool place on the west side of Cayuga lake called Finger Lakes Cider House.

Walked a couple miles in the rain this morning then
Shoulders
Warmup
OHP: 90 x 8, 135 x 5, 3, 155 x 3, 175 x 5, 195 x 3, 215 x 2, 165 x 10 (last two were push presses)
Lateral raises: 20x 12, 25 x 10, 30 x 8
DB shrugs: 40 x 12, 50 x 10, 60 x 8
Face pulls: 70 x 12, 80 x 10, 90 x 8

Grip was a little wider to start and my shoulders don’t really enjoy that, going to stay more narrow, pressing just felt a bit off today but still had decent results. I keep doing db shrugs because they’re the same place as I do lateral raises but I get nearly nothing out of them, high pulls/rows/cleans all hit the traps better for me.

Parents flight got cancelled into Ithaca so they’re flying to Rochester and I’m picking them up in a few hours, not exactly how I was intending to spend my Saturday but such is life.

5 Likes

Damn dude this is some STRONG press work!!! Super jelly

1 Like

Didn’t lift yesterday but got 20k steps and went to a concert, venue was cool but kind of sucked (large, seated).

Ran 1.5 miles in 14:30 (9:40 average), actually ran for a minute or two longer but forgot to press start, pretty insignificant. Run felt pretty good though.

Waited about an hour and did a quick back session

Rope curls: 25 x 15
Rows: 135 2x10, 165 x 8, 225 2x8
Axle curl: 60 3x10
Trap DL: 240 x 8, 310 2x8

Was planning on doing more but was just gassed, still a pretty good day

4 Likes

NYC was a blast, didn’t actually go on a complete bender (Wednesday got a little squirrelly but other than that pretty relaxed). Walked around Central Park, large parts of Manhattan, ate a ton of good food, met up with a cousin I hadn’t seen in 5 years, checked out a Gustav Klimt exhibition, and saw To Kill A Mockingbird, which was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, one of my friends was coming down with a cold and I got it, it’s clearing up now (9 days later) but I’m still not at 100%, will try and do something super easy today to see how it feels. Excited to get back at it, going to try and push really hard through the winter.

3 Likes

BB Row: 135 3x10
Band hammer curls: 2x10
Band straight pulldown: 3x15
Axle curls: 60 2x10

Didn’t feel great, hopefully tomorrow will be closer to normal.

3 Likes

Still congested but feel 95% normal otherwise, worked up to a few sets of 10@185 on bench today and did some tricep work, think I’m in the clear to start going back at it with some effort.

3 Likes

Made it to the gym for the first time in 3 weeks, didn’t feel great but I got a passable shoulder workout in!!

10 min walk
Seated DB Press: 20 x 10, 40 x 8, 60 x 5, 70 3x8
Lateral Raises ss w/front raises: 20 3x8
DB Shrugs: 40 x 15, 50 x 15

Had a few hard coughs in the middle and toward the end, figured that was a signal to get out of there. Will try and get a short leg workout in and then I’m driving up to Buffalo to watch a hockey game tomorrow night.

2 Likes

Got a quick leg session in, probably still going to be sore

20 min incline walk
Leg press: 200 x 15, 380 x 10, 470 x 10, 560 x 10
Reverse hack squat (kinda like an rdl): 90 x 8, 180 x 8, 270 2x8
Standing calf raises, on edge of hack machine: 2x30

Was going to do quad extensions but someone was on it so I left, this definitely felt the best of anything over the last few weeks.

3 Likes

Fun weekend in Buffalo, ate too much and drank a bit too much but managed to stay pretty active.
Got back just before noon and ended up getting a workout in around 2

30 min walk
Pulldown: 90 per side x 10, 115 2x8
Straight arm pulldown: 80 3x10 ss w/ cable bicep curl 50 3x10
Low cable row: 80 x 10, 90 x 10, 100 x 10

Pretty happy I made the gym and pretty happy with my energy through the workout, getting back in the flow.

4 Likes

Took yesterday off, stomach was messed up from the long weekend.

Back at it today

30 min on treadmill, 18 walking, 12 jogging. 2.2 miles total
Seated DB press: 80 3 x 6
SS lateral raises/rear delt flies: 20 2 x 8
Front DB raises: 25 2 x 10
High row: 50 x 10, 80 2 x 10

I finished the jog with about 2 min ~7mph, took me much longer than it should’ve to recover from that. Those 3 weeks took a bit out of my ability to recover, should be back soon enough, though.

2 Likes

Got a leg session in today

20 min incline walk, 1.2 miles
Shoulder/leg warmup
Buffalo bar squat: 145 2x5, 185 x 5, 235 x 3, 275 2 x 5, 305 x 5
Leg Press: 200 x 20, 380 2 x 20
Hack squat rdl: 180 x 8, 270 2 x 10

Woke up a bit earlier than normal, around 6 am. Ate breakfast (eggs) around 7:30, ate lunch (rice, veg, ground beef, sour cream) at around 11, went to the gym a bit before 12. Felt great mentally and energy wise for the first time in a bit, squats were a bit rough to start but the 2nd set of 275 moved well so I jumped to 305 and attacked the set, it flew. Promising stuff.

3 Likes

I would feel ill if I ate that much filling food before squats and RDLs!

My digestive system is a mystery! Did a similar thing yesterday and it worked out well again lol, I think the key is to not squat too hard /s

1 Like