Here Is How To Get Big

After spinning his wheels (15 years…) he’s still going round and round. I think as far as body composition and trying to change it, you have to do what works for you. The simple truth is you can’t do one particular program indefinitely. A year with the same program? Trying to maintain the intensity workout to workout? 2x a week and all that cardio? "Bench Press: 4-10 x 6-10 " What the hell? 4-10 sets? How is the neophyte suppose to decode this simple routine? There are too many unsupported varialbes in the works here.

If you are a “hard gainer” doing cardio at every opportunity will eat at any muscle gain. You need to seriously look at yourself in the mirror and decide “Hey I’m fat I need more cardio” “I’m kinda in shape but I need more muscle… hit the weights harder” I will say that a good compound type of routine will hit the arms, more so for beginners and a full body 3x a week will be OK for most. There are times when a split will do wonders if anything a good change up from a boring or plateaued situation with the training. You see training is not really that simple, you can’t will muscles to grow however you can have the will to train.

How about:

Monday

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

Wednesday

Deadlift 5x5
Bench 5x5
Push press 5x5

Friday

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

I’ve posted this before, it’s as simple as you can get to build size and power. Do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday if you think you need to, HIIT 20 min would be alright. Low intensity cardio is good for the heart once in a while as well 30 min sessions.

Every other week if you think you need arm work then Friday could be:

Squat 5x5
Dips 4x12
Chins 3x max

If you complete all sets with good form and some reps left in the tank then add 5 lbs incriments as you go or gradually add in such as:

set 1 - 100 lbs
set 2 - 105 lbs
set 3 - 110 lbs
set 4 - 115 lbs
set 5 - 120 lbs (easy? then add)

set 1 - 105 lbs
set 2 - 110 lbs
set 3 - 115 lbs
set 4 - 120 lbs
set 5 - 125 lbs (couldn’t complete the set or form a little off? Then keep this weight for the next workout).

Simple progression overload, you could also keep the weight the same for all sets and just increase by 5 lbs when all sets are completed and the final set is done with reps in the tank per se.

Just a suggestion, not saying it is for everyone however it is simple and effective and might work for you. I would also look at splits such as move to an upper/lower split from this full body routine, then eventually you can go to a 4 day split, 5 day etc. You can then revisit a full body such as this and in a year you’ll see terrific gains. Eat clean 90% and rest (recovery) there should be no problem.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:

If you’re able to squat 5x5 and deadlift 5x5 in the same workout, with any appreciable weight, you’re either incredibly gifted or incredibly stupid. [/quote]

Why?

[quote]The Savage wrote:
After spinning his wheels (15 years…) he’s still going round and round. I think as far as body composition and trying to change it, you have to do what works for you. The simple truth is you can’t do one particular program indefinitely. A year with the same program? Trying to maintain the intensity workout to workout? 2x a week and all that cardio? "Bench Press: 4-10 x 6-10 " What the hell? 4-10 sets? How is the neophyte suppose to decode this simple routine? There are too many unsupported varialbes in the works here.

If you are a “hard gainer” doing cardio at every opportunity will eat at any muscle gain. You need to seriously look at yourself in the mirror and decide “Hey I’m fat I need more cardio” “I’m kinda in shape but I need more muscle… hit the weights harder” I will say that a good compound type of routine will hit the arms, more so for beginners and a full body 3x a week will be OK for most. There are times when a split will do wonders if anything a good change up from a boring or plateaued situation with the training. You see training is not really that simple, you can’t will muscles to grow however you can have the will to train.

How about:

Monday

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

Wednesday

Deadlift 5x5
Bench 5x5
Push press 5x5

Friday

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

I’ve posted this before, it’s as simple as you can get to build size and power. Do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday if you think you need to, HIIT 20 min would be alright. Low intensity cardio is good for the heart once in a while as well 30 min sessions.

Every other week if you think you need arm work then Friday could be:

Squat 5x5
Dips 4x12
Chins 3x max

If you complete all sets with good form and some reps left in the tank then add 5 lbs incriments as you go or gradually add in such as:

set 1 - 100 lbs
set 2 - 105 lbs
set 3 - 110 lbs
set 4 - 115 lbs
set 5 - 120 lbs (easy? then add)

set 1 - 105 lbs
set 2 - 110 lbs
set 3 - 115 lbs
set 4 - 120 lbs
set 5 - 125 lbs (couldn’t complete the set or form a little off? Then keep this weight for the next workout).

Simple progression overload, you could also keep the weight the same for all sets and just increase by 5 lbs when all sets are completed and the final set is done with reps in the tank per se.

Just a suggestion, not saying it is for everyone however it is simple and effective and might work for you. I would also look at splits such as move to an upper/lower split from this full body routine, then eventually you can go to a 4 day split, 5 day etc. You can then revisit a full body such as this and in a year you’ll see terrific gains. Eat clean 90% and rest (recovery) there should be no problem.[/quote]

Good suggestions for workout progression. I like the full body/compound lifts approach.

[quote]The Savage wrote:
After spinning his wheels…should be no problem.[/quote]

This post >> the OP’s routine

[quote]Epimetheus wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
JBMan wrote:

Squats: 5x5
Bench Press: 5x5
Behind The Neck Press (or front): 5x5
Dips: 5x5
Deadlift: 5x5
Hammer Curls: 4x8
Calve Raises
Heavy Ab Work

Now get to work!

If you’re able to squat 5x5 and deadlift 5x5 in the same workout, with any APPRECIABLE WEIGHT, you’re either incredibly gifted or incredibly stupid.

Bill Star 5x5 calls for deads and squats in the same routine twice a week, it’s a proven ass method.

appreciable weight is the key term here. Anyone can squat and deadlift in the same session, but you will just end up burning yourself out if you use a weight that is challenging on both exercises.

to the OP, you have a grand total of 5 pushing movements and 2 pulling. In a perfect world, people would use a 1:1 ratio, but, from the looks of this routine, you should probably being 2 pulling for every 1 pushing for a while. By doing bench twice a week and rows once a week, your bench will grow out of proportion to your row, and you’re progress will begin to stagnate.

I can tell you that recently I’ve been very successful using 1:2 pushing:pulling ratio and it has done great things for my bench, which hasn’t seen a PR in over a year. I think it’s great that you are trying to simplify the whole process for people who don’t understand, but you have to realize that your way is not necessarily the best way.

Also, you joined the forum less than a month ago and you have a grand total of 5 posts. No one has reason to trust your credibility because you have yet to build any. If anything, YOU should be the one asking questions, not giving answers. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

i agree to an extent but if you have the time to do a dead in the morning nd squats at night, or vica versa, you could probably use a substantil amount of weight if not your normal amount. Plus the fct that he has only posted 5 times is completely irrelevant.

[quote]JBMan wrote:
<<<

And this was after training for 15 years spinning my wheels.

[/quote]

I got hung up right here.

I sincerely hope you are doing well and that you achieve all your goals in full. It appears you’ve found something that works. However, it’s tough to become glued to the screen on the words of somebody who took 15 years to find it. No offense, just an honest reaction.

so he pretty much gained his bulk after changing his program after 15 yrs. mt OP Two times a week no matter what training i dont think is enough seems to reinforce the idea of change is good but i think 15 yrs was a bit too long…

What was going on for those 15 years???

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Epimetheus wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
JBMan wrote:

i agree to an extent but if you have the time to do a dead in the morning nd squats at night, or vica versa, you could probably use a substantil amount of weight if not your normal amount. Plus the fct that he has only posted 5 times is completely irrelevant.

[/quote]

I was just commenting on his credibility as far as this site goes. Nobody knows if this guy is someone who knows what he’s talking about, and he’s already posting programs saying it is the way to get big. I understand that he more than likely isn’t so closed minded as to think this is the ONLY way to get big, but I think he needs to take a step back and observe before making such giant claims.

I also agree that squats and deads could be done on the same day if spaced far enough apart. I don’t believe that is what he was talking about, however. Guess we’ll wait to see if he ever replies on this thread again.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
JBMan wrote:

Calve Raises
Heavy Ab Work

Now get to work!

If you’re able to squat 5x5 and deadlift 5x5 in the same workout, with any appreciable weight, you’re either incredibly gifted or incredibly stupid. [/quote]

I have done it and it was stupid.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
JBMan wrote:

Calve Raises
Heavy Ab Work

Now get to work!

If you’re able to squat 5x5 and deadlift 5x5 in the same workout, with any appreciable weight, you’re either incredibly gifted or incredibly stupid.

I have done it and it was stupid.[/quote]

And I think I might do it again.

Don`t forget the compounds is a pretty important thing to remember.

Pffft - food doesn’t matter.

Totally disagree with this point.

No offense to anyone, but this is as simple as it gets:

1. Use the search function to select a program that suites your goals, written by one of the fine professional trainers on this site.

2. Complete the program, usually 8-12 weeks, then see rule 1.

You’re welcome…and yes, I am a genius

[quote]animalmj wrote:

1. Use the search function to select a program that suites your goals, written by one of the fine professional trainers on this site.

You’re welcome…and yes, I am a genius[/quote]

when you’re not a beginner it is better for you to design your own program to suite your own needs. Just incorporate ideas from other workouts on this site.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
animalmj wrote:

You’re welcome…and yes, I am a genius

when you’re not a beginner it is better for you to design your own program to suite your own needs. Just incorporate ideas from other workouts on this site.[/quote]

I really don’t know about that. Who tells you when you’re not a beginner?

The vast majority of people I see are self trained and have been for many years.

And they have always completely fucked up posture and have almost no idea about how to train for their goals.

They usually have never deadlifted and although they squat, it’s not the kind of technique that you want to see.

But all of them describe themselves as knowing what they are doing. However, even with their years of experience, they are beginners in regards to their knowledge.

Oh brother…