T Nation

Hepatotoxicity?

Hey Guys,
I was browsing an article on the role of anabolic steroids in the rehabilitation of patients with COPD, and I came across an interesting point. The study said that “Anabolic Steroids are predominantly excreted by the kidneys; therefore hepatotoxicity is negligible.” Any thoughts or comments on this? Could it have anything to do with the fact that they used Deca for the study? And…why is deca so commonly used in medical experiments for treatment of diseases and such even though it shuts down the HPTA quite strongly?

C1ipse

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
They use Deca because they belive the medical books, which tell them that it was designed to be minimally androgenic, and maximally anabolic. Thats my opinion anyway.[/quote]

So could they be wrong or outdated with regards to the kidney excreting the juice and not the liver?

Nandrolone is, after all, a compound that occurs naturally in the human body. That could be one reason it’s so often used. In general, apart from the HPTA suppression, it’s arguably the steroid with the mildest side effects of any.

But I suspect the real reason is simply because previous researchers used it, therefore subsequent researchers also use it.

As to the liver vs. kidney question, the statement in the study would seem false if applied to all anabolic steroids. There are steroids which are primarily metabolized by the liver and yet not hepatotoxic. And there is one steroid, oxandrolone, which is primarily metabolized extrahepatically and/or excreted by the kidneys unchanged, and is nevertheless somewhat hepatotoxic. Was the study perhaps referring to a particular steroid?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]jwillow wrote:
Nandrolone is, after all, a compound that occurs naturally in the human body. That could be one reason it’s so often used. In general, apart from the HPTA suppression, it’s arguably the steroid with the mildest side effects of any.

But I suspect the real reason is simply because previous researchers used it, therefore subsequent researchers also use it.

As to the liver vs. kidney question, the statement in the study would seem false if applied to all anabolic steroids. There are steroids which are primarily metabolized by the liver and yet not hepatotoxic. And there is one steroid, oxandrolone, which is primarily metabolized extrahepatically and/or excreted by the kidneys unchanged, and is nevertheless somewhat hepatotoxic. Was the study perhaps referring to a particular steroid?[/quote]

I think they were probably referring to injectables like bushy said, because they used the deca for the study.