Henry Rollins Spoken Word Tour

Has anybody else been to his shows? I went to his show here in Baltimore on Tuesday and it was fantastic. While it’s not a stand-up comic performance, he’s very good at making his interesting stories funny as well.

I think my favorite bit was him chatting it up with David Lee Roth circa 1983:

HR- “Yeah Dave I saw you guys open for Ted Nugent in '78 at the Cap Center. You guys rocked!”

DLR- “Oh yeah I remember that show. It was in Landover, Maryland where we sold 17,852 tickets. We also sold 1548 t-shirts, netting us $19,398 in profit! OW!!!”

HR(jaw dropped)- “How the hell did you remember all that?!?!?”

DLR- “I remember what I can, and what I can’t remember I make up. Sounds impressive doesn’t it? OW!!”

If interested you can find tour dates at his site- www.21361.com

Nothing in my neck of the woods, that’s a shame.

I have seen him a few times as he comes around to Minneapolis often. Definitely a great show and he gives great political and social commentary. He doesn’t really talk about his own opinions much but rather the perspective he has with regard to the world he sees on tour.

While I wouldn’t call it an objective commentary it cam be entertaining for both the left and right leaning…except for those that really, really like the Bush Admin.

Have not seen spoken word, but caught him during a Lollapolooza tour. Definitely intense.

He has a show on Independent Film Channel (IFC). I saw it when he has Iggy Pop on.

http://ifc.com/video/On-IFC/Originals/The-Henry-Rollins-Show/Teeing-Off/253595358

I suspect his spoken word performances are edgier.

He has a good rant at the end of this one:

If your into a good rant and rave about things you should check out Dennis Leary!

while i may not agree with all his political opinions, i still love his intensity, no bs view.

I just saw him last night in Brooklyn, NY! Awesome show! The part about DLR, and about the Van Halen concert he recently went to was very, very cool. The whole show was great. He actually spoke for 3 whole hours, and seemed like he could’ve gone on a lot longer, but thankfully recognized that the shitty little chairs we were all sitting in had made our entire lower bodies numb by that point.

He’s a fantastic story-teller, and is part stand-up comedian, and weaves stories together, interspersed by bits of different stories or thoughts on things, and then weaves back to the original story, all done many times over. And a lot of it is absolutely hilarious.

Tickets were only $29. I HIGHLY recommend catching him if he comes to your area.

[quote]Damici wrote:
I just saw him last night in Brooklyn, NY! Awesome show! The part about DLR, and about the Van Halen concert he recently went to was very, very cool. The whole show was great. He actually spoke for 3 whole hours, and seemed like he could’ve gone on a lot longer, but thankfully recognized that the shitty little chairs we were all sitting in had made our entire lower bodies numb by that point.

He’s a fantastic story-teller, and is part stand-up comedian, and weaves stories together, interspersed by bits of different stories or thoughts on things, and then weaves back to the original story, all done many times over. And a lot of it is absolutely hilarious.

Tickets were only $29. I HIGHLY recommend catching him if he comes to your area.[/quote]

There was one part of the show that pissed me off, and it wasn’t even anything Henry said but the reaction from the crowd. He was telling a story where he was in South Africa talking to some people who treat AIDS patients. He asked the doc how to fix this and he said “fix the poverty.”

While it made perfect sense, the cheer from the crowd annoyed the hell out of me. Why? Because there was a homeless guy that the entire crowd had to pass to get in the building, and only a few of us gave him any money.

People who spent $30 on tickets and $5 on beers and cheer about spreading the wealth can’t give the guy some change? Come on.

Not to start an argument, but many would argue that giving money to a homeless guy isn’t helping solve the problem of poverty (even that guy’s poverty) one iota, but is just feeding his problem. Eliminating or lessening poverty has to be done from a much more systemic standpoint (i.e., teaching a man to fish, not just giving him a fish). If the guy takes your five bucks and just goes and buys another crack hit, who is that helping?

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Damici wrote:

Tickets were only $29. I HIGHLY recommend catching him if he comes to your area.

There was one part of the show that pissed me off, and it wasn’t even anything Henry said but the reaction from the crowd. He was telling a story where he was in South Africa talking to some people who treat AIDS patients. He asked the doc how to fix this and he said “fix the poverty.”

While it made perfect sense, the cheer from the crowd annoyed the hell out of me. Why? Because there was a homeless guy that the entire crowd had to pass to get in the building, and only a few of us gave him any money.

People who spent $30 on tickets and $5 on beers and cheer about spreading the wealth can’t give the guy some change? Come on.

[/quote]

[quote]Damici wrote:
Not to start an argument, but many would argue that giving money to a homeless guy isn’t helping solve the problem of poverty (even that guy’s poverty) one iota, but is just feeding his problem. Eliminating or lessening poverty has to be done from a much more systemic standpoint (i.e., teaching a man to fish, not just giving him a fish). If the guy takes your five bucks and just goes and buys another crack hit, who is that helping?

[/quote]

Good point. Of course eliminating poverty is impossible. The poor will always be with us. It is a question of how we handle it in a humane manner.

[quote]Damici wrote:
[/quote]

I understand where you’re coming from and agree giving a dollar or two won’t help in the grand scheme of things. It’s just that the poor bastard was sitting there in front of everyone, and most of the people tried to pretend he wasn’t there. Seemed a little hypocritical at the time IMO.

Enough about that, how about Henry’s Bush impersonation? I thought it really was ol’ George W. for a second. Ha ha ha!

Letter to David Beckham

As much as I like HR, I just rather hear him with Black Flag from back in the day. To me, music speaks louder than words, cranked to the max.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
As much as I like HR, I just rather hear him with Black Flag from back in the day. To me, music speaks louder than words, cranked to the max.[/quote]

You know what I like about Black Flag? I can listen to “First Four Years” compilation in less than 30 minuets.

It’s awesome for a timing my workouts.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
DLR- “Oh yeah I remember that show. It was in Landover, Maryland where we sold 17,852 tickets. We also sold 1548 t-shirts, netting us $19,398 in profit! OW!!!”

DLR- “I remember what I can, and what I can’t remember I make up. Sounds impressive doesn’t it? OW!!”
[/quote]

Why does DLR say “OW!!” after each of his sentences?

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:

Why does DLR say “OW!!” after each of his sentences?[/quote]

You’d have to ask Diamond Dave, or Henry because that’s how he impersonated Dave, which was hilarious.

I would like to see him given the chance. I agree with much of what I have heard him say and like the way he expresses it.

D