Henry Rollins on the Iron

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
SamuraiWannaBe wrote:

He still looked fit and healthy for sure; but hell, he’s almost as old as my parents so more power to him!

Yeah. Old people have no business lifting. Or playing rock and roll.
Just ain’t right.

[/quote]

You tell 'em Momma.

[quote]JASE72 wrote:
does anyone know if Henry Rollins has writers or does he actually write his own stuff? thats pretty good & really has me interested in reading more, if hes the actual writer.[/quote]

If Hank had writers… he would not be Hank. Having writers goes against practically everything he stands for

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
SamuraiWannaBe wrote:

He still looked fit and healthy for sure; but hell, he’s almost as old as my parents so more power to him!

Yeah. Old people have no business lifting. Or playing rock and roll.
Just ain’t right.

[/quote]

Yeah, i wish more people had an active mentality rather than, “i’m over 30 now, i’m not supposed to or allowed to be fit, active, and healthy anymore”

Seeing Hank with his graying hair and creases in his face inspires me to keep it up will i can’t keep it up no more.

I also just reminded myself of something kinda related- I met an older cowboy on vacation and he was telling my girlfreind and i about when he had a heart attack, the first thing he did was call his girlfreind and tell her to call the ambulance and to get to the barn stat,

When she got there he said “first get me off the floor, then go get my horse becasue If i die i’m not dying here on the floor!” Thats the attitude more people need to have.

[quote]SamuraiWannaBe wrote:
JASE72 wrote:
does anyone know if Henry Rollins has writers or does he actually write his own stuff? thats pretty good & really has me interested in reading more, if hes the actual writer.

If Hank had writers… he would not be Hank. Having writers goes against practically everything he stands for[/quote]

awesome, any recomendations for good reads by him?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
.[/quote]

Classic Rollins.

Great pic, Yo Momma.

Rollins gave me inspiration and traits for which to strive towards.

overcoming self imposed hardships makes life much more worthwhile

Bump.

[quote]reidit wrote:
Bump.[/quote]

Thank you

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
reidit wrote:
Bump.

Thank you[/quote]

x2. I missed this first (second and third) time round. Good read though, makes me want to leave the office and hit the gym right now.

Don’t know about anyone else, but I hope one day I can inspire someone as much as his teacher inspired him.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Does he still lift? He’s gotten a lot smaller over the years.

He still seems to be very angry though. Mostly with republicans. [/quote]

Seems he has his anger focused properly.

Always inspiring article. If anything if you ever invite anyone to this site this article should be recommended or required reading to at least get to what IMO is a big part of the lifting mindset.

I’ll admit this article affected me deeply when I was in my early twenties when it came out (yeah, flame me, I used to buy Details when it was a halfway decent magazine) & during my time of depression I identified with not so much his highschool angst but rather a need to find my own purpose, & I found it in my university gym amidst the weights. I’ve never looked back & I think I’m a better person for it (it being weight training)

As much as I do not know Rollins or much about his band, other writings, etc. per se this piece became a big part of why I lift.

Lifting = feels good about self = commitment to continuing lifting

When people ask me or a general thread comes up every month on T-Nation under the premise “What got you into lifting?” I’ll post a quote or link to this article.

Thanks to the OP for reposting it & I for one never get tired for the gems the article is riddled with throughout, & his closer “200 lbs is still 200 lbs” never fails to inspire me.

As for posting a pic to keep this relevant check out my avatar. I like the chair. I think it’s full grain leather.

I saw him speak once and I just don’t get what people see in this guy.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
I saw him speak once and I just don’t get what people see in this guy. [/quote]

you’re blind

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
Hagar wrote:
I saw him speak once and I just don’t get what people see in this guy.

you’re blind[/quote]

Yeah, but Hagar’s got a great back.

I’ve seen his spoken word performance twice. Always hilarious and insightful. The guy talks for a straight 2.5 hours and, believe it or not, the time flies.

I love hearing him rant about the band U2. He absolutely HATES them. Referred to their recording studio in Dublin as “a Mecca for complete shitheads”

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Didn’t he tatoo one of the jackass crew while in a 4x4 going over bumps and shit. If that was him he is still in good shape[/quote]

Yeah, he did a tat for Steve-O in Jackass The Movie.

Thanks for bumping this article. Reading it really put me back into the perspective about why I started lifting in the first place.

Henry needs a bump.

Always liked this song