Hemp Protein?

Anyone here use or have experience with hemp protein? It is said to be complete like soy - any side effects/ concerns/quality issues anyone knows about?

I have reactions to whey/casein in my protein powder that I normally just live with - these go away with soy - but I want to keep my manhood!!

Any thoughts on using hemp protein?

Amino Acid Profile per 100g
Aspartic Acid 4.36 g
Glutamic Acid 7.10 g
Serine 2.14 g
Glycine 1.34 g
Histidine 1.24 g
Arginine 6.15 g
Threonine 1.65 g
Alanine 1.39 g
Proline 1.53 g
Tyrosine 1.00 g
Valine 1.64 g
Methionine 0.79 g
Cystine 0.60 g
Isoleucine 1.22 g
Leucine 2.02 g
Phenylalanine 1.29 g
Lysine 0.96 g
Tryptophan 0.38 g

I use it in addition to whey and casein, but I use a lot less hemp. It’s a great way of getting another form of protein, it’s got a healthy balance of polyunsaturated fats, but it’s very, very strong tasting, so I use it as a complement to my other protein sources, just to add some variety to my diet. hemp seed is great too.

[quote]Jinx Me wrote:
it’s very, very strong tasting, [/quote]

He’s not kidding. Yeesh.

Well I don’t know much about the amino-acid breakdown but I have used hemp protein in the past, thought it would be good for variety. My brand ‘Living Harvest’ was high quality, organic, digested very easily and overall my body felt great after taking it.

Hemp protein tends to be high in carbs (mostly fiber)which turns some people off of it. Cost is also an issue but I found it for about the price of other high quality protein. The biggest issue for me was the taste, its pretty bad and after a few weeks I had to cut it with a fair bit of stevia to keep from gagging.

I have no experience with hemp products. I cannot verify the accuracy of this, but I have heard from multiple sources that ingesting hemp products such as oils, will show up on drug tests as THC. I don’t know if this is a concern for you, but I thought I should mention it. Hell, if anybody can find an accurate answer, please share, I would like to know for certain.

The hemp I use has flaxseed oil in it.I love it.

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
I have no experience with hemp products. I cannot verify the accuracy of this, but I have heard from multiple sources that ingesting hemp products such as oils, will show up on drug tests as THC. I don’t know if this is a concern for you, but I thought I should mention it. Hell, if anybody can find an accurate answer, please share, I would like to know for certain.[/quote]

I would highly, highly doubt this is possible, since hemp doesn’t contain THC. Sounds like a rumour fueled by ignorance to me.

[quote]Jinx Me wrote:
combatmedic wrote:
I have no experience with hemp products. I cannot verify the accuracy of this, but I have heard from multiple sources that ingesting hemp products such as oils, will show up on drug tests as THC. I don’t know if this is a concern for you, but I thought I should mention it. Hell, if anybody can find an accurate answer, please share, I would like to know for certain.

I would highly, highly doubt this is possible, since hemp doesn’t contain THC. Sounds like a rumour fueled by ignorance to me.

[/quote]

Hemp DOES contain THC and todays drug tests can register even the smallest amounts.

It would be hard to prove that you did NOT smoke a joint two weeks ago, but instead used a hemp product 1 day ago.

Maybe you used one to hide the use of the other?

Hemp = cannabis, the “normal” hemp plants usually contain less then 2-3 % THC.

Thanks to the prohibition the psychoactive strains have crossed the 20% barrier in the late 80s, early 90s.

Berardi told me not to worry about failing a drug test while using hemp oil. I doubt the protein would be any different.

Think about it: If there was any significant amount of THC in it, do you think it would be sold commercially?

http://209.204.155.254/thc.htm

this is a pretty messy webpage but it explains how commercial hemp supplements are cleared of all THC. It even lists several brands that have been tested for THC and passed. Perhaps in the past the manufacturing processes weren’t up to snuff for this kind of quality, but nowadays there’s no way you’re going to have any detectable THC from hemp protein.
The page is put up by a supplement company, but here at T-Nation I think we can all agree that doesn’t mean the info isn’t valid.

Sorry, I don’t mean to add fuel to the fire, or spread disinformation. It would make sense that hemp food products don’t contain THC. I have heard about guys pissing hot and blaming it on hemp oil, but for all I know, they could be smokers making an excuse.

I also know for a fact my division commander has put out a memo banning these products from soldiers consumption. But Army policy is not always the wisest or the most researched.