Hemp Protein - WTF

My wife received a free sample of a protein powder and a protein bar from a Canadian company called Sequel Naturals Ltd.

The protein powder’s first ingredient (and the protein bar’s second) is Hemp Protein. Yep, that is how it is listed!

-Has anyone heard of this stuff?

-Is it any good or some marketing gimmick?

-But the biggest question I have is will this stuff (Hemp Protein)cause a positive results on a drug test???

Anyone have any ideas, information or thoughts on Hemp Protein?

Fred

^SEARCH^

This has been discussed in-depth before.

IMO another inferior plant protein. much like soy. Its an attempt to make money off of both a gimmick and really a waste product. Hey its throw it away or make it a gimmick and feed it to the gullable consumer as the next big thing.

Hemp is good for one thing, ROPE.

Thats my take,
Phill

No.
Hemps isn’t a gimmick.
It’s pretty damn healthy actually.
It has some probitoics,and it is pretty high in omega 3.
I use that and whey protein powder called “whey healtheir”,which gives you the benefits of raw milk.
Hemp protein is MUCH safer than soy protein isolate for
vegetarian and vegan body builders.

[quote]Irish Grip wrote:
My wife received a free sample of a protein powder and a protein bar from a Canadian company called Sequel Naturals Ltd.

The protein powder’s first ingredient (and the protein bar’s second) is Hemp Protein. Yep, that is how it is listed!

-Has anyone heard of this stuff?

-Is it any good or some marketing gimmick?

-But the biggest question I have is will this stuff (Hemp Protein)cause a positive results on a drug test???

Anyone have any ideas, information or thoughts on Hemp Protein?

Fred
[/quote]

Well, now that Phill gave some fucked up information (dammit all), I guess I will have to chime in again on this subject.

Hemp seeds are not only a complete protein (all essential amino acids, and some others to boot), but also complete in fats (3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3). This makes it BETTER THAN WHEY, nutritionally speaking. That is, it would make a better MRP.

Note that it’s likely not as bioavailable, but that’s really just a matter of eating more than you would of whey. And as Cthulhu mentioned, it’s the best bet for those who don’t want to eat factory farm dairy, or vegans.

In case you haven’t got from the convolued answers: The answer is NO on the drug test part.

[quote]Phill wrote:
IMO another inferior plant protein. muck like soy. Its an attempt to make money off of both a gimmick and really a waste product. Hey its thorw it away or make it a gimmick and feed it to the gullable consumer as the next big thing.

Thats my take,
Phill[/quote]

A Waste product? Since when? Check out this link for some historical facts regarding hemp cultivation and usage. If you want to talk waste product… well that’s exactly what whey was once considered as part of the cheese making process.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
Well, now that Phill gave some fucked up information (dammit all), I guess I will have to chime in again on this subject.

Hemp seeds are not only a complete protein (all essential amino acids, and some others to boot), but also complete in fats (3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3). This makes it BETTER THAN WHEY, nutritionally speaking. That is, it would make a better MRP.

Note that it’s likely not as bioavailable, but that’s really just a matter of eating more than you would of whey. And as Cthulhu mentioned, it’s the best bet for those who don’t want to eat factory farm dairy, or vegans.[/quote]

I’m going more with what Phil said, at least on the protein side. Hemp protein might contain the essential amino acids, but its all about the amounts and the profile.

As it happens the BV (if we use a more comparable term than the other scores) of Hemp is under 70. So its lower than mixing rice and beans for instance, below Soy, way below milk and below any meat you might stumble upon.

When you get beyond the BV and go to the digestibility factors and actual value(more like pdcaa), you’ll find Hemp is pretty much low verging on pretty useless as a protein source for the simple reason its high in cellulose and has a distinct fibrous coating to the plant proteins. This lower’s the digestibility drastically.

The actual value of Hemp in real terms is well below Rice and Potato protein when ingested.

So as the man said, its hype (protein wise).

[quote]Jason32 wrote:
Phill wrote:
IMO another inferior plant protein. muck like soy. Its an attempt to make money off of both a gimmick and really a waste product. Hey its thorw it away or make it a gimmick and feed it to the gullable consumer as the next big thing.

Thats my take,
Phill

A Waste product? Since when? Check out this link for some historical facts regarding hemp cultivation and usage. If you want to talk waste product… well that’s exactly what whey was once considered as part of the cheese making process.

Hemp is a poor protein source, but so is a piece of wood, but both are far from waste products yes.

[quote]
Hemp is a poor protein source, but so is a piece of wood, but both are far from waste products yes.[/quote]

Thank you Good doctor. a watse source OK no sure it makes Uber damn good rope, fancy trendy clothes and necklaces, and hell if you eat it you’ll get some fats and maybe a little protein if it gets out of the fiber its in.

So for diet use use it like metamucil with a hopefull little kick of NOT quality protein and a little fat.

Thats my take. Im stick to my Curds and whey, as well as meat, eggs, etc.

Oh and whey was only a waste in cheese making not in milk.

Lets all go smoke some rope and think this over some more.
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:

Thats my take,
Phill[/quote]

Pretty much. Oh, and some clothing.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:

Note that it’s likely not as bioavailable, but that’s really just a matter of eating more than you would of whey. And as Cthulhu mentioned, it’s the best bet for those who don’t want to eat factory farm dairy, or vegans.

I’m going more with what Phil said, at least on the protein side. Hemp protein might contain the essential amino acids, but its all about the amounts and the profile.

As it happens the BV (if we use a more comparable term than the other scores) of Hemp is under 70. So its lower than mixing rice and beans for instance, below Soy, way below milk and below any meat you might stumble upon.

When you get beyond the BV and go to the digestibility factors and actual value(more like pdcaa), you’ll find Hemp is pretty much low verging on pretty useless as a protein source for the simple reason its high in cellulose and has a distinct fibrous coating to the plant proteins. This lower’s the digestibility drastically.

The actual value of Hemp in real terms is well below Rice and Potato protein when ingested.

So as the man said, its hype (protein wise).
[/quote]

Dr. Stig is right on here. Hemp does have all the essential aminos, but unlike whey, it contains very low amounts of the BCAAs (which whey is very high in). Not only that, it is extremely low in tryptophan and cysteine making it a borderline complete protein at best. You really need to mix it with something to be complete.

And then as Dr. Stig mentioned, there is the digestibility factor. Hemp protein is surrounded by undigestable cellulose. I’m sure a powdered protein version is much more usable than the plant itself, but add all this together and it’s probably worse than combining two incomplete sources. And that’s no way to feed your body for muscle growth and/or body composition chnages. For that you need the highest quality proteins.

So the lesson is to smoke the weed and drink the whey.

[quote]greatgro wrote:

You really need to mix it with something to be complete.

[/quote]

Like a pork chop or an egg sandwhich. Uh huh