T Nation

"Helping a Friend Get Stronger" Plan

Long story short, i’ve been on Starting Strength 3months or so now and although my numbers arent great, they have improved but i’m stalling all over now and just dont feel i’m progressing just doing reset after reset. My job doesnt help with recovery as its quite physical and roating shifts. I found Jim’s article “HELPING A FRIEND GET STRONGER” and find it appealing. I’m thinking of switching to 531 bodyweight assistance and just wondering if bodyweight assistance is enough to make strength gains? And if my set up looks ok for the week
Monday
Press 531 / dips / chins
Tuesday
Deadlift 531 / GHR / abs
Thursday
Bench 531 / push ups / bodyweight rows
Friday
Squat 531 / split squats / abs
Defranco’s Limber 11 will be done for mobility work along with 1 to 2 conditioning either 20mins on bike/tredmill/rowing.

use the original 5/3/1 programs, the program itself is to build strenght and size, so i don’t know how you can’t make strenght gain if you follow it correctly.

Yes. Jim has no reason to deceive you.

4 Likes

Thanks. I was just curious as in Starting Strength basically says bodyweight doesnt provide enough of a stress. What i will say is i tested the water with a few bodyweight bulgarian split squats yesterday and i most certainly felt it and my form even got sloppy so theres defo work to be done and alot of room for improvement.

Yes go for it, what you posted will work.

What it was saying was that body weight alone work won’t provide enough of a stress. It is a good compliment to your barbell strength work, and you can progress with the body weight stuff by wearing a weight vest or doing things like pauses or changing to a more difficult angle (decline pushups/elevating feet on inverted rows). I use almost exclusively body weight assistance work now with a weight vest, and it works very well.

Re-read what you write! Push the main lifts VERY hard, and yes…you can do bodyweight only assistance. GENERALLY speaking, we do 50-100 total reps of push (dips/push-ups), 100 reps of pull (chins/fat man rows) AND 100 reps of abs/low back/single leg (any ab work, lower back extension/reverse hyper OR single leg movement) PER workout.

THUS, change your above approach.

Thanks for all the feedback/advice.

Jim, I have a question with regards to your beginner programme. 5/3/1 for beginners. I am am a bit puzzled as to how this is ran. On your Jim Wendler site your beginner template is

Monday

Squat 5/3/1 5x5 FSL
Bench 5/3/1 5x5 FSL
Push
Pull
Single leg/core

Tuesday - Conditioning

Wednesday

Deadlift 5/3/1 5x5 FSL
Press 5/3/1 5x5 FSL
Push
Pull
Single leg/core

Thursday - Conditioning

Friday

Bench 5/3/1 5x5 FSL
Squat 5/3/1 5x5 FSL
Push
Pull
Single leg/core

Saturday - Conditioning
Sunday - Conditioning

My question is, with the Friday workout is the Bench and Squat 5/3/1 sets same as Monday as it appears Bench and Squatting twice in the same week at 5/3/1.

your doing one day Bench/squat , one day DL/Press day, then one Bench/squat day. The following week you will do DL/press, Bench/squat, DL/press. Week after will be same as you put. Your not using the same weights, the first two days are with 5’s week weight, then the next two sessions with 3s week, then the last two session with 1+. It makes a two week cycle and reasoning is “used for additional weekly exposures.”. Ideal for beginners since weights are low and tm is super low. Go with it for as long as you hit 5 reps on 1+. -all my opinion

Ahh got it. That makes sense now with ABA BAB workouts. Thanks for that.

How would the ‘Deload’ be used on the beginner template or would it not be rquired at such early stage?

7th Week Protocol would be fine. We use it all the time.

Thanks Jim.

Hey Jim,
So i’ve just finished my first week of the ABA split. Enjoyed it and the extra volume after coming from Starting Strength was challenging but great. I have question, i dont have as much time as i’d like for the gym and therefore had to cut a session short to get to work on time. So i’m thinking of running it over 4 days with one main lift instead of two. Basically the first plan i outlined in this post over the 4 days. I still hit all three catergories of bodyweight assistance (push/pull/single leg/core) just spaced over the 4 days.