T Nation

Help! Zinc Makes Me Feel Like Sh*t!

Hey, to start off I have been trying to take Zinc to improve my libido/testerone (which is low due to taking a medication, lithium)

The few times I’ve taken it for a small period of time I’ve noticed that it really DOES help my libido.

The problem is… whenever I take it makes me feel like SHIT. Irritable… just an overall feeling of like I’m dying lol.

I’ve tried all different kinds of zinc, natural zinc from vegetables, liquid zinc ect. It all makes me feel like garbage.

any ideas?

thanks

[quote]dstrel wrote:
Hey, to start off I have been trying to take Zinc to improve my libido/testerone (which is low due to taking a medication, lithium)

The few times I’ve taken it for a small period of time I’ve noticed that it really DOES help my libido.

The problem is… whenever I take it makes me feel like SHIT. Irritable… just an overall feeling of like I’m dying lol.

I’ve tried all different kinds of zinc, natural zinc from vegetables, liquid zinc ect. It all makes me feel like garbage.

any ideas?

thanks [/quote]

How much are you taking?.. You might want to try very small doses spaced through out the day.
I’ve gotten sick, and almost threw up from taking to much zinc before, but it was like 250-300 mg a day for extended periods of time.

How much a day are you taking? Have you tried something like ZMA or elitepro minerals?

I think you’re better off to stop taking Zinc supplements and just eat more foods that
are naturally high in the nutrient instead.
Pumpkin Seeds are very good and inexpensive, and they HAVE helped with libido AND climax with noticably a little more volume of life giving substance released…:slight_smile:

“How much are you taking?”

I can feel the effects of even just 25 mg.

“Have you tried something like ZMA or elitepro minerals?”

Don’t thing these would help. I’ve tried a lot of types of zinc. I’ve even tried liquid zinc and zinc that has come from raw vegetables.

" think you’re better off to stop taking Zinc supplements and just eat more foods that
are naturally high in the nutrient instead.
Pumpkin Seeds are very good and inexpensive, and they HAVE helped with libido AND climax with noticably a little more volume of life giving substance released…:slight_smile: "

This is a good idea, I will try some tahini. The only problem is that it contains little few zinc, for 85 pumpkin seeds you get 3mg of zinc… which is miniscule.

“3mg (19% DV) per ounce (~85 seeds)
Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.php#l8GiuU51CRZFV7Dg.99

Anyone have any other ideas? The thing is… when I do get some zinc in me (even painfully) it works so well…

I’m trying a cereal fortified with zinc atm… I’m sure it won’t work considering even the zinc from raw veggies made me feel bad.

Are you allergic to Zinc? Have you spoken to a doctor? You’ve basically said any form of zinc makes you feel like crap, even veggies.

I’d see a doctor.

I think that you are working on the wrong target. Lithium is probably the main source of your problem.

Do you have a recent lithemia (mesure of lithium in your blood) ? Fatigue, dysguesie, mood swings, dehydratation, nauseas are all side effects of lithium when the dosage is non optimal.

Zinc deficiency is quite frequent in users of lithium, so zinc should improve your genral wellness.

thanks, all superb answers, I’m currently working on switching my lithium to lamictal, hopefully that will help my libido

are you taking the lithium for depression?

if so, that is much more likely to be the cause of your loss of libido, energy, etc. a good friend of mine is depressed and exhibits similar symptoms. I would try and address that issue first and foremost. getting that squared away will probably make the most difference in how you feel

good luck, stay strong

ZMA is rumored to have been nothing more that a money laundering tool for balco (yep, ZMA was invented by victor conte)

i take the stuff every night and i could swear that my dreams are far more vivid on ZMA than off (takes about 3 weeks for it to become apparent) but i’ve never really noticed anything else (although i wouldn’t expect to as it’s just a couple of minerals, not a magic bean)

Well, there are rumors of many kinds.

I knew Victor a bit back in the mid 90’s and while very much having only a particular snapshot of the entire situation, my take was that at the time, he was making his money with incredibly high-priced zinc testing, and was earning a spot as a trusted advisor of athletes with this work and enjoying these relationships. I have what is to me personally enough basis to believe he had nothing to do with steroids at that time. The ZMA was the product of his work with improving blood levels of zinc, and rather than the ZMA being a major revenue item in itself let alone one enabling covering up other monies, the thing was monitoring clients’ blood levels over time at truly high prices.

When I take ZMA, I feel more rested when waking up and less groggy or sluggish. I sleep about 7 hours a night on a regular basis. It is really night and day difference for me when I am not taking it.

That doesn’t mean this will affect you the same way it does me. Supplements are not universal. You either need a professional helping you along or do a lot of trial and error by yourself.