T Nation

Help With Workout

Hey guys im in really desperate need for a new routine:

-I am a 17 year old male
-5'9 inches
-117 lbs
-been working out since November of last year but not got too serious until this summer
-My goals: Gain muscle mass about 5-8 pounds of muscle ( i know nutrition is a big part, and im working on it) increase strength of course also, I am a Cross country Runner
-This is the big reason im seeking help, Ive been on the same routine for a very long time. Im not too sure where to go with training as in sets/reps and what days to workout what
-ive made gains early when i first starting working out only bc that is what happens when u first workout
-my diet: i am a recovering anorexic. i try to get at a good 2000 calories in a day High protein; @ least 1 g/lb and good amount of carbs and eat a the daily recommendations of grains good fats etc.
-i currently take 100% gold standard ON Whey protein

my old training regime looks like this
monday: chest tris abs
tuesday: shoulders bis
wednesday: rest
Thursday: back and abs
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Chest Tris and abs
Sunday: Rest

i do about 8 reps with 3 sets with about every excercise..and really need to get some facts about good weight lifting to gain muscle amss about 5 to 8 pounds..thanks

Hey Serd,
Glad you found the site.

This thread should help get you going while you wait for the forumites to tune in.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Good to see you're making some steps in the right direction. Keep it up.

You sound just like me, minus the anorexia. Leaving high school I weighed 120lbs at 5'11".

You're definitely on the right track. Learning how to eat, and eat BIG, cannot be emphasized enough. I'm sure this is a struggle for you given your food issues in the past.

As for training, I would recommend sticking to big, compound movements: squat, dead, dips, and chins. And don't be afraid to go heavy. The "skinny" mentality can be brutal and very self-defeating - I've been there. Try a 5x5 program.

Lastly, I ran track and cross country and didn't make any good (muscle) gains until I hung up my competitive running shoes. I tend shy away from making blanket statements, but trying to add mass while running competitively is an uphill battle for sure.

Good luck!
Nick

thank you for your reply