Help with Vertical Jump

I need to jump 5 centimeters more in the vertical jump. Any advise for me? it’s very important for me, I need to jump more than 48 centimeters and I’m jumping about 43 or 44 centimeters.

Thank you all

5cm? Its time to “cheat”! When you stand and reach before you jump, don’t reach so high!

During workouts, work your hamstrings with “hinge” movements like Romanian deads, pull thrus, stiff leg deads with dumbbells, etc. Focus on generating tension in your hamstrings, not just moving weights. When you bend over, make it “feel” like when you dip before a jump.

When you practice your vertical, make sure its practice. Jump smooth and perfect! Don’t tire yourself out and jump around sloppy.

interesting study by the university of Saskatchewan done 15 years ago or so compared the increases in vertical jump in a group of 5000 athletes, mostly rugby players.

1 group did no additional training at all-only practices
1 group trained only legs
1 group trained only core muscle(don’t have the program in front of me)
1 group trained legs and core in equal volume and workloads as the other legs and core groups.

the group that trained core exclusively achieved the biggest increase in vertical jump over a 12 week period by a significant amount.

Reasoning: people commonly lack sufficient core strength and control to properly stimulate and recruit the necessary muscles for a truly maximum body weight effort.

Power cleans! REALLLLY focus on hip extension.

[quote]divertido8 wrote:
I need to jump 5 centimeters more in the vertical jump. Any advise for me? it’s very important for me, I need to jump more than 48 centimeters and I’m jumping about 43 or 44 centimeters.

Thank you all[/quote]

How long do you have to achieve this goal?

A vertical jump is just a plyometric squat. Use the same CNS pattern when you jump to fire off the squat muscle sequence only explosively. And squat heavy low reps for strength and keep doing vertical jumps. I use weighted plyometric squats as part of my training but I don’t aim for height instead I try to release a huge amount of explosive force early in the jump. For height you want a kind of longer release of force that continues even after you leave the ground in a sort of “follow through” like a pool cue after it hits the ball. It’s a totally different technique even though we’re both doing the same thing.