T Nation

Help with Thyroid Results

Hi folks. I had my thyroid checked recently due to some problems I’ve been having (heart thumping at night, cold sweats, lethargy, insomnia).
The results were -
TSH - 0.74 (reference range 0.35-4.94)
Free T4 - 15.7 (reference range 9-19)

Can anyone that is clued up on the subject give me a little help, as surely the free t4 result is high? (These are UK measurements)

I suffer from Congestive Heart Failure, and it’s been ruled out that it’s a cardiac issue, but whatever it is it’s having a knock on effect on my heart.

I was put on a long course of Amiodarone last year due to a bout of Atrial Fibrillation, which I know can damage the thyroid.

I’ve tried a number of supplements recently that I’ve had a poor reaction to, and from what I’ve read the supplements in question can have a negative effect if your adrenal system and/or thyroid is out of whack. The supplements were - Ashwaghanda, Rhodiola Rosea & L-Carnitine.

I also have negative effects to Lugols Iodine, even with doses as low as 150mcg, which includes more night sweats, and a hungover feeling the next day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Very insuficient tests. Please get also Free T3, Reverse T3 and Anti-TPO. FT4 looks fine but FT3 is more important.

TSH looks a little low, not sure why

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve just put in a request to have those bloods done, so hopefully the doctor will allow it. They can be pretty strict with what they allow on the NHS.

Yes man I know how this system works. If they don’t want to cover them better pay them out of your pocket, you need those tests

TSH is low can only be a good sign, but really you need more testing as others have suggested. It would seem doctors in the US or UK are in the belief TSH and Free T4 paints a big enough picture for thyroid status and just because they were taught this in medical school doesn’t mean it’s accurate, in practice this belief falls on its face and is not always the case.

Do you have any testosterone labs including the free portion of testosterone circulating in the bloodstream to which interacts with your tissues? Your body doesn’t respond to Total T, only Free T. We see men everyday on T-Nation with high Total T, high SHBG and low Free T.

I had palpitations when Free T was low, my heart seemed to be pounding unusually hard. You cannot trust the NHS with doing things right when hormones are concerned. Those with Congestive Heart Failure have a poor help prognosis and increased risk of dying sooner rather than later.

Testosterone and the Heart

Low T levels in men may increase their risk of developing coronary artery disease (CAD), metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. Reduced T levels in men with congestive heart failure (CHF) portends a poor prognosis and is associated with increased mortality. Studies have reported a reduced CV risk with higher endogenous T concentration, improvement of known CV risk factors with T therapy, and reduced mortality in T-deficient men who underwent T replacement therapy.

My last blood results were just for total test, which was at 19 (22 before that). I’ve rang and requested more detailed testosterone bloods doing before and got denied, so I’m thinking I’ll have to go private.

This is what one must do to escape a system that does things halfass, funding isn’t unlimited. Most doctors believe in range is normal, expect we have men with abnormally high SHBG where normal isn’t good enough.

You do not know where you stand, I would test Free T and SHBG. You can compare calculated Free T with the directly measured Free T.

TRT isn’t like any other area of medicine, it seems doctors have no care in the world to educate themselves on proper treatment for men on TRT.

For all we know your SHBG is elevated and free T low, if so you have an answer to the why your heart is thumping and your life is at risk.

So, I got some more Thyroid tests done…

TSH - 0.70
FREE T4 - 12.8
FREE T3 - 4.5
THYROID ANTIBODIES - 0.50

I also requested Total Testosterone, Free Testosterone and SHBG, but only geot testted for total and SHBG so I’ve had to ask again. Those results were…

SERUM TESTOSTERONE - 19
SHBG - 21.8

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

you ought to include the units and lab ranges, although this panel seems to be fine - reverse t3 still missing though. Your body temp and pulse and LDL are better indicators of intracellular thyroid function anyway.

Nothing looks off regarding serum T and SHBG. Your issues could be related to cortisol, prolactin, iron, insulin, dhea/adrenals… there are more pathways to explore than thyroid/T