Help with Thyroid Labs

Idk where else to post this so itll go here.

I got done with a bb show a month ago. Right after the show i dropped my t3 dose to 25mcg for 1 week. Then to 12.5mcg 1 more week then came completely off. T3 was ran for a total of around 3 months. So its been about 2 weeks off of t3 and here are my thyroid labs

Ft3. 2.61. (2.18-3.98)

Ft4. .6 (.76-1.46)

Tsh. .774 (.358-3.74)

Can someone help interpret these for me?

Hoping to hear from Bill Roberts or cyco. Thanks

Free T4 is not particularly important, as most activity of thyroid hormone is from the free T3.

In general, TSH values at the lower end mean that the thyroid is producing thyroid hormones efficiently. TSH release is being kept moderate because that’s all the TSH that’s needed to regulate thyroid levels to the level determined by the hypothalamus. High numbers mean the thyroid gland is working inefficiently.

When taking thyroid hormone, lower number indicates degree of suppression that’s resulting from the use. That wouldn’t apply to your previous T3 use as it’s long out of the system.

I expect the modest – not terrible, but modest – free T3 level despite this efficient functioning is a post-dieting consequence and it will go up.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Free T4 is not particularly important, as most activity of thyroid hormone is from the free T3.

In general, TSH values at the lower end mean that the thyroid is producing thyroid hormones efficiently. TSH release is being kept moderate because that’s all the TSH that’s needed to regulate thyroid levels to the level determined by the pituitary. High numbers mean the thyroid gland is working inefficiently.

When taking thyroid hormone, lower number indicates degree of suppression that’s resulting from the use. That wouldn’t apply to your previous T3 use as it’s long out of the system.

I expect the modest – not terrible, but modest – free T3 level despite this efficient functioning is a post-dieting consequence and it will go up.[/quote]

Thankyou so much for the reply bill. So lets just say these numbers stay the same, what would that indicate?

So far as I know the relatively low (within normal) TSH while having relatively low (within normal) free T3 would be due to relatively low production of TRH, the hormone that stimulates the pituitary to make TSH, or relatively low production of TSH for given amount of TRH.

Broadly, relatively low TRH would be from energy-sensing, or could be from asynchronized or disturbed circadian rhythm (the “clocks” within the body are not necessarily synchronized though they should be, and when not, there’s metabolic disturbance.)

There are various inputs related to energy-sensing, including leptin, neuropeptide-Y, and agouti-related protein. None of this helps to know really except for these being reasons why dieting and post-dieting there are effects on thyroid function.

Stress or high cortisol can decrease TRH and TSH.

If your values remained, I’d suppose the reasons would be any of, continued sensing of low energy state (not having returned to a point of bodyfat where your body can maintain high metabolic rate), disturbed circadian rhythm, high stress, or individual variation within the normal range.

What it wouldn’t be a sign of would be a problem with the thyroid itself or of iodine deficiency.

Loss of body weight, and particularly body fat, tends to depress thyroid function. It’s good news that your TSH is so good (low.)

So far as I know the relatively low (within normal) TSH while having relatively low (within normal) free T3 would be due to relatively low production of TRH, the hormone that stimulates the pituitary to make TSH, or relatively low production of TSH for given amount of TRH.

Broadly, relatively low TRH would be from energy-sensing, or could be from asynchronized or disturbed circadian rhythm (the “clocks” within the body are not necessarily synchronized though they should be, and when not, there’s metabolic disturbance.)

There are various inputs related to energy-sensing, including leptin, neuropeptide-Y, and agouti-related protein. None of this helps to know really except for these being reasons why dieting and post-dieting there are effects on thyroid function.

Stress or high cortisol can decrease TRH and TSH.

If your values remained, I’d suppose the reasons would be any of, continued sensing of low energy state (not having returned to a point of bodyfat where your body can maintain high metabolic rate), disturbed circadian rhythm, high stress, or individual variation within the normal range.

What it wouldn’t be a sign of would be a problem with the thyroid itself or of iodine deficiency.

Loss of body weight, and particularly body fat, tends to depress thyroid function. It’s good news that your TSH is so good (low.)[/quote]

Thankyou for your detailed responses bill, it means a lot that you help us. I think i can speak for everyone on this board and say your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I will retest in 2 to 3 weeks. Only symptom really is just being hungry all the time. Temperature at the dr office around 2pm was 98.6f

You’re very much welcome!

And congratulations on your first place finish!

You’re very much welcome!

And congratulations on your first place finish![/quote]

Thanks bill. I have another question if you dont mind.

Another thing that has been bothering me post contest is water retention. Its mainly in my ankles/feet and sometimes in my wrists, mainly around my joints. My joints have been a little more sore than usual too.

I started using 4iu gh during my prep and never experienced any of these things. But then post show i started experiencing these side effects. I have no idea what its from other than the hgh. During my prep i was very low carb for long durations. This is prolly a long shot but would adding in carbs make growth hormone side effects more pronounced for some reason? Or is it simply that my body is still out of wack from cutting water and diuretics for the show? I know i definitely binged on food more than i should have.

Blood pressure is fine

Kidneys and liver are still stressed from show

Potassium levels are on the low side of normal but still in range.

I can post up more bloodwork if needed. I just want to figure out what this water retention is from and if its unusual to experience edema 1 month post show. I just thought it would be gone by now.

I don’t know the specific cause of that but my thinking is similar: some still-remaining effects of the stress that will self-correct. I wouldn’t think it’s lingering effects of the GH.

The post-show edema’s been seen before but how common, I don’t know.

I don’t know the specific cause of that but my thinking is similar: some still-remaining effects of the stress that will self-correct. I wouldn’t think it’s lingering effects of the GH.

The post-show edema’s been seen before but how common, I don’t know.[/quote]

Ok got it thanks. One more question i swear lol. Would you recommend me to take a diuretic to get rid of the water? All labwork came back decent. Or is there anything else i can take? Would a diuretic cause a rebound effect?

I would leave it alone as the most likely way to speed the body’s self-correction.