Help with the Texas Method

I’ve started the Texas Method as outlined in Ripp’s “Practical Programming for Strength Training”. I’m slightly confused about the Monday high volume/high intensity workout:

Is it a weight that is equal to a 5RM/1RM or a percentage? On Wednesday, which is the lighter workout, use 80% of a 5RM/1RM on exercises like squats, then Friday is the high intensity/low volume with single sets of 1,3, or 5RM for PR. I’m going to use 5RM for PR on Friday.

If anyone can help me clear this up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Brooks

on monday 5x5 at80%,on friday1x5 at 85%

you can’t do 5x5 with 80%. start with a weight you’re comfortable doing 5x5 across with, then build up by adding 5lbs every week.

[quote]FROGGBUSTER wrote:
you can’t do 5x5 with 80%. start with a weight you’re comfortable doing 5x5 across with, then build up by adding 5lbs every week.[/quote]

Says who? Work up to a balls out final set of 5.

On Mondays do a 5x5 with whatever weight you can do with good form. Your 5x5 weight and 1x5 weight are going to be different. On wednesday, what I do is a 3x3 with the same weight that I use on the previous monday’s 5x5.
You can also do a 2x5 on wed with the same weight too.

Here’s a link to the stronglift’s version:

They have a downlodable excel file that really clears things up.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit…

Would you apply the Texas method to only ONE lift you wanna improve the most?

Is it overkill if you apply it to two or more lifts?

[quote]daneq wrote:
FROGGBUSTER wrote:
you can’t do 5x5 with 80%. start with a weight you’re comfortable doing 5x5 across with, then build up by adding 5lbs every week.

Says who? Work up to a balls out final set of 5.[/quote]

oops, what i meant to say was you shouldn’t start 5x5 with 80% because you won’t be able to sustain progress for long.

and Texas method = 5x5 sets across, not ramping.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit…

Would you apply the Texas method to only ONE lift you wanna improve the most?

Is it overkill if you apply it to two or more lifts?[/quote]

it’s not overkill, you can apply it to 2 or more lifts. google “texas method”, i think there’s a writeup on bb.com somewhere…

[quote]FROGGBUSTER wrote:
daneq wrote:
FROGGBUSTER wrote:

Says who? Work up to a balls out final set of 5.

oops, what i meant to say was you shouldn’t start 5x5 with 80% because you won’t be able to sustain progress for long.

and Texas method = 5x5 sets across, not ramping.[/quote]

it worked for me,so yes he can.you should try it also.