Help with the Captains of Crush

rather than starting a new thread… i recently bought the trainer figuring it to be a good starting point. the first time i tried, i closed it 20x w/ my non-dominant and more w/ my dominant, so i was wrong (in a good way). should i skip the 1 and go for the 1a?

The trainer would be a good investment for you IMO.

Like anything, the grippers take practice. Once you can bang out reps on the trainer, you can probably close the #1 with ease. Can’t remember if this was mentioned, but you can also use your other hand to help close the gripper, and then try to hold the closed position with your dominant hand.

Monopoly

Look up the gripboard and gripper mania.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Look up the gripboard and gripper mania.[/quote]

I’m on the GripBoard most of the time, and GripperMania closed it’s doors, so that’s no longer an option.

Here’s a suggestion that most people don’t think about - but it’ll get them to closing the big grippers - it did for me, and it’s this: get and use a grip machine.

Either buy one or make one; making one is easy if you have all the right materials and can weld one together or find someone who can. I can’t weld to save my life, so I either buy it if I can’t weld or I make my own if it doesn’t involve it.

I got nowhere on the #3 until I got and used a grip machine. It took me from coming close to absolutely dominating that gripper! I never would have certified had it not been for grip machines; I own 7 different grip machines now.

[quote]Sybersnott wrote:
Old Dax wrote:
Look up the gripboard and gripper mania.

I’m on the GripBoard most of the time, and GripperMania closed it’s doors, so that’s no longer an option.

[quote]

Syber, grippermania is back up, though not as good as it was I’m sure it will mature.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Syber, grippermania is back up, though not as good as it was I’m sure it will mature.[/quote]

Boffin, right you are! It’s over on the StrengthMill.com site - George told me that he shut it down, but didn’t go into detail about it. So I thought it was dead. My bad.

Instead of purchasing the Trainer COC how about the VG-2 Shugart recommended? http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_consumer/consumer_reports_for_physique_athletes_vol_1 I bought one and although it is not exactly like the COC gripper, it is allowing me to progress a little at a time.

Plus it cost only a little more than the COC gripper.

Just thought I would update…

I can close it in both hands now.

I put down the grippers for a while and got my deadlift #s up. Once I got to 380 dl, I tried to close it and it clicked! A few weeks later and my left hand was closing it. Horray deadlifts!