T Nation

Help With Sumo Deadlift Form

Hi guys, I need some help with my sumo squatting form. I used to be able to do them without trouble, then switched to covnentional deadlifts for 3 months, and once i finally got back to sumo deads yesterday I found that I started falling forward once i went passed the 80% range.

Any pointers?

These two articles were posted in the last 2 weeks, on Elitefts.com, dealing with Sumo Deadlifts:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/go_sumo.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/on_chicken_sacrifice.htm

They should definitely be of use to you right now.

thanks!

[quote]Sir Crimson wrote:
Hi guys, I need some help with my sumo squatting form. I used to be able to do them without trouble, then switched to covnentional deadlifts for 3 months, and once i finally got back to sumo deads yesterday I found that I started falling forward once i went passed the 80% range.

Any pointers?[/quote]

Need to keep your weight on your heels, what kind of shoes are you wearing?

They’re cross-trainers unfortunately, maybe I should start deadlifting bare-foot… but with my stance i tend to have the tips of my shoes touch the weights (i actually put the bar down on my toes yesterday lol), so without shoes i guess i’d be pretty scared to crush my toes.

[quote]Sir Crimson wrote:
They’re cross-trainers unfortunately, maybe I should start deadlifting bare-foot… but with my stance i tend to have the tips of my shoes touch the weights (i actually put the bar down on my toes yesterday lol), so without shoes i guess i’d be pretty scared to crush my toes.[/quote]

A cross trainer with a heel puts you forward a little bit anyway, which for a sumo pull especially, can be a problem.

Try converse, some adidas etc.

You can also put collars on the bar first and the plates against the collars to give yourself a few more inches.

Thanks a lot for the help! I especially like the idea of putting a set of collars before the weights. I’m thinking of tidying up my form for a few weeks and then I want to work up to a 400lbs deadlift. I know it isn’t much on this forum, but it’s a huge milestone for me, and I can’t wait to reach it. Once again, thanks for the advice.

Drive your knees out hard on the way down. This will keep your hips from getting too far back.

Wrestling shoes are nice for deadlifting.

Wrestling shoes? how much money can i expect to pay for a pair?

Personally, I paid about 25 bucks for my wrestling shoes (on sale).