T Nation

Help with Some Body Changes

I suppose these types of issues have been addressed before but I'm going to make a stab at them again. I am roughly 6'3" and my weight fluctuates between 218-225 with my latest bf being around 12-15%. My issues are that I have what seems to be small amounts of fat in my lower abdomen like most do I assume, my pecs, and my upper back which the latter two seem to be odd places.

I may just be overanalyzing and just need a better workout program to lose in those areas but it seems I've always had those issues and was curious if there was anything I could do for it. I would really like to stay in the same weight range with the body fat cut in half and didn't know if my body fat currently is part of the problem with the pec/back fat. It's taken me forever to get up to this weight range and would love to stay in it.

My second issue is considering I lose the fat I need help with my chest development then because it seems my chest has not been responding the way my back does to my workouts...actually it seems my back/delts/legs have been growing great but my chest/upper traps/calves don't exactly respond the way I would like. I may need a complete overhaul but I'm open to suggestions.

I have been doing the Darden HIT training to switch up from my typical 4-5 day a week workouts and have had good success with the transition. Actually my body has responded well to the reduction in training and just amping up the intensity. My diet is generally in the 2500 cal range currently but I do not have a problem with trying out other suggestions.

Yes I do drink, I would have to say that is my only vice when it comes to a diet but it's not a problem to lay off of it considering I don't do it often.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

how much protein/fat/carbs do you eat a day? and what does your workout look like? could you summarize your diet and training regimen so we may better assist you in this endeavor.

as of late my diet has been 3 eggs/juice for breakfast, almonds for snack, chicken breast lunch, almonds snack, beef jerky snack, baked potato/greenbeans/steak or chicken, tuna late night snack sorry its vague but I'm trying to change things around from what I was doing because 1500 calories was miserable starvation for me, and I'm happier than hell to be eating again. 1500 calories was what I did to start the HIT routine with a high carb/low protein intake, yes I know it sounds insane but the workout program worked the diet was stupid but that is what it all called for. I lost 12lbs in a week and a half on that and dropped to 208 and loved the cuts I saw but after lifting for a period I got up to 220 again and actually made it to 227.

As for my workouts, with the HIT it has been a total body type workout. Looking at the routine kinda left me sour but doing it I greatly benefited for about a month and a half but I pulled a hamstring playing baseball (weekend warrior crap) and I had backspasms in my lower trap from I don't know what. Long story short I did therapy for a short duration and have been barely lifting the past week and a half after I was cleared and plan to start up fresh on Monday.

Workout as follows:
Barbell Squat, Incline Bench Press with barbell, Reverse Grip Lat Pull Down, Overhead Press with Barbell, Barbell Bicep Curl, Tricep Pressdown or Dips, Dumbbell Front Raise, Leg Extension,Dumbbell Side Raise, Shoulder Shrug, ReverseCurl with Barbell, Low Back Extension, Trunk Curl, Hanging Knee Raise

Each exercise done with one set of 8-12 to failure, 3 days a week. I made good progress because it was a nice change of pace from my 5 days in long hours to a 3 day a week 25-30 minutes.

I'm open to suggestions on specific diet/specific workout.

By the way, other than the weekend baseball game I did absolutely zero cardio.

i think your diet looks good from what i can tell. if you like your current weight program, and are still progressing, by all means stick with it. if you feel you are stagnating, you could try a number of routines, such as Waterbury's Total Body Training template on the site, you can look up WS4SB which is really good or even Wendler's 3 day a week program.

As far as losing some of that fat, I suggest you read Alwyn Cosgrove's article "The Last 10 Pounds" http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article//the_last_10_pounds. I have done the program and it might be just what you need to get the leanness your after.

if you like your program and aren't stalling on it yet, keep with it. otherwise, you could try out WS4SB, a TBT template or Wendler's 5/3/1. As far as diet is concerned, you seem to eat pretty cleanly, my only question is do you get at least 1 gram of protein per lb.bodyweight? You eat alot of almonds, which is good for healthy fats. You should supplement with some fish oil, Flameout comes highly recommended.

as far as losing the fat, you don't do any cardio? may I ask why, not trying to be a dick. If you absolutely detest it I would suggest doing some barbell complexes after 1 or 2 workouts a week, and possibly doing some running or bike sprint intervals. A good article to read is Alwyn Cosgrove's "The Last Ten Pounds", which outlines a 4 week plan for losing 10 pounds through a combination of complexes/sprint intervals/steady state cardio.

well i feel stupid, I wrote the same post more or less twice... stupid forum interface.

ha, it's all good. I forgot to mention the supps I'm taking. I am actually taking rezv right now along with fish oil pills, with glucosamine/chondroiton (spelling, don't feel like looking it up), and I've been taking trib. I have not been getting anywhere near the 1 gram per lb of body weight and it absolutely pisses me off. I haven't adjusted to a day job yet, and I need some protein shakes in my life.
I will check out the other routines, but my problem is I lose what seems to be everything so quickly. I had gotten to 227 and my arms back and everything esle except my chest was jacked looking for me....gut included. Hell I had to quit wearing half my jeans cause they wouldn't fit through my thighs, the skinny jean look is not my cup of tea especially with the crotchal restrictions.
I don't do much cardio cause my diet was lower in calories and the workout program I had been on was very intense by itself. However I've turned bitter to say the least after seeing how much I've lost in my upper body in a matter of 2 weeks and how it didn't leave my gut. Other than the definate increase in protein I don't know if there was anything else to do in the supps/diet department.

ha, it's all good. I forgot to mention the supps I'm taking. I am actually taking rezv right now along with fish oil pills, with glucosamine/chondroiton (spelling, don't feel like looking it up), and I've been taking trib. I have not been getting anywhere near the 1 gram per lb of body weight and it absolutely pisses me off. I haven't adjusted to a day job yet, and I need some protein shakes in my life.

I will check out the other routines, but my problem is I lose what seems to be everything so quickly. I had gotten to 227 and my arms back and everything esle except my chest was jacked looking for me....gut included. Hell I had to quit wearing half my jeans cause they wouldn't fit through my thighs, the skinny jean look is not my cup of tea especially with the crotchal restrictions.

I don't do much cardio cause my diet was lower in calories and the workout program I had been on was very intense by itself. However I've turned bitter to say the least after seeing how much I've lost in my upper body in a matter of 2 weeks and how it didn't leave my gut. Other than the definate increase in protein I don't know if there was anything else to do in the supps/diet department.

yea a shake or two, particularly post workout will help.

Honestly OP, when I read your posts I have no idea what you were doing when to get what results.

Maybe it's just an issue of communicating it clearly, but you must be rational about your diet and training. Exactly what diet+training gave you what result?

I'm not sure what you're asking of me. I thought I was initially clear with the exception of the questions that were answered. The HIT training present by Darden has been addressed on this website. I do know I was vague on the diet side but I listed calorie content, in the last couple of posts I spoke on the content of the calories. Rational? I'm not picking up what you're putting down.

You were eating 1500 cals before and doing high volume? for how long? what were the results? But now you're eating 2500 cals and doing some HIT TBT routine? for how long? what results? Did you lose a lot of fat to get to 12-15%?

I apologize, I was at about 15% to begin with at 220. I went on a 1500 calorie diet for 2 weeks and dropped to 208 roughly maybe a little lower, I was out of town for work on a different scale than I had been used to being measured on.

After the 2 initial weeks I bumped up to around 2500 and have been staying on that routine until I pulled my hamstring screwing around with baseball and had to cut out legs, then I had back spasms and had to stop all together....minus the 2 weeks of dieting I had been on the routine for roughly 6 weeks before the injuries. I went from 208 back up to my initial weight and actually surpassed it to top out at 227.

The 12-15% body fat was my initial start up. I've never had issues with being over weight, actually on the other had I was always underweight until about 3 years ago and I increased my caloric intake to amounts my body had never seen and had phenomenal results but I began having some of the issues I currently deal with now.

Well, gaining 20 pounds while eating 2500 calories and not training doesn't sound good. If I'm understanding you correctly, you went off your extreme diet but also stopped training due to injuries, and put on more fat than you're used to carrying. Just get back on track to whatever cals you were eating when you were 15%/220, for now. But if you don't train on any given day, eat a couple hundred fewer, not more.

You've mentioned having good success/progress with the HIT, but what's the progress? Losing weight? The 1500 calorie diet was responsible for that, not the routine. And a low protein/low cal diet combined with drastic cuts in volume may have caused you to lose some muscle.

So I would go back to the type of routine you used to get your weight up to this range in the first place, just tweak your calories if you're gaining too much fat, or add some cardio (like 30 min) on your off days.

You are not reading what I said, I said I gained what I lost back and them some I was taking the supps I listed along with creatine. I had already written before that I had been on the workout routine for 6 weeks after the 2 week diet.

For the second point I stated I worked out on HIT and dropped the 12lbs, yes I know it was while I was on the diet and because of the diet change. Its obvious that the weight loss was because of the diet change and honestly I don't think that the low cal diet cause for muscle loss in a 2 week period, I don't think the body responds like that in a quick fashion...I may be wrong but that would suggest body builders lose a shit ton. I never said the diet wasn't beneficial.

You aren't reading the post apparently because I thought I came off clearly with the weight loss and the actual "issue." I thought I've been fairly clear with it for the most part. The fat was in certain areas that I was concerned that I thought were problems.