Help with Shoulder MRI Results

I had barbotage on my shoulder in December to remove calcific tendonitis. Since about March I have had severe pain at night. Had an MRI and here are the results… From my limited research looks like I’ll beneeding surgery to remove the cyst. Nit sure what else. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Intact rotator cuff tendons.

Severe chronic fatty replacement and significant fatty atrophy of isolated supraspinatus muscle secondary to 5 x 10 mm bilobed cyst in suprascapular notch

No definite labral tear however.

** FINDINGS **:
A-C JOINT AND CORACOACROMIAL ARCH: There is a type 2 undersurface acromion. No significant degenerative changes of the acromioclavicular joint. Minimal undersurface bony spurring distal clavicle. Coracoacromial and acromioclavicular ligaments are intact. No os acromiale.

ROTATOR CUFF: Supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis and teres minor tendons are intact. Mild tendinosis of the subscapularis tendon.

Severe chronic fatty replacement and significant fatty atrophy of isolated supraspinatus muscle is noted. Infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis muscles are normal in muscle volume.

There is a bilobed 10 x 5 mm cystic fluid containing structure near the suprascapular notch most compatible with cysts likely impinging on to a branch of suprascapular nerve innervating the supraspinatus muscle.

BICEPS TENDON AND ANCHOR: Intact.

LABRUM: Limited evaluation secondary to lack of joint distention. No evidence of displaced labral tear or paralabral cyst.

FLUID/OTHER: No significant fluid within the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa. No significant joint effusion.

BONES AND CARTILAGE: Bone marrow signal is normal. No focal cartilage defect.

1 Like

I’m not a medically trained person, but I did a quick internet search.

Apparently the type of cyst you have pressing on your nerve causes about 2% of shoulder pain. The nerve issue can impact both the infraspinatus and the supraspinatus, or just the supraspinatus. It looks like it’s just messing up the 1 muscle for you, so that’s good.

The internet also said that these cysts often form after a tear in the tissue around the shoulder joint (Labrum Tear). But your MRI didn’t show a labrum tear, so that’s good.

It looks like the other 3 muscles of your rotator cuff are good, your bicep is good and the cartilage and bones of your shoulder are good.

It says that you’ve got a little tendonitis issue with your subscapularis, one of the internal shoulder rotators, kinda under your armpit. I think that this is pretty common and that you shouldn’t worry too much.

Thanks. Its not that im worried about it, I just want the pain to go away. It only hurts at night once I lay down. It wakes me up all night. I hope to talk with the Dr soon so we can get this done.