Help With Routine

Hey I would like to hear some comments on my routine, feel free to point out any issues u may have with it. Im just aiming for General strength and Lean mass.

Monday
Bench Press 4 x 80%
Incline Bench 2 x 80%
Flys 4 x 75%
Dips 2 x max

Tuesday
Deadlift 5 x 90%
Good Mornings 4 x 70%
Bent over Row 4 X 80%
Chinups 4 x max
Pull ups 2 x max

Thursday
Crunches 5 sets 20
Sit-ups 2 x Max per Minute
Shoulder Press 4 x 80%
Side Lateral 2 x 80%
Bent Over Lateral 2 x 80%
Rear Delt Row 2 x 80%

Friday
Squats 5x 90%
Straight leg Deadlift 5 x 90%
Calf Raises 5 x 80%

Thats an ODD ass split. Still trying to grasp your thinking, rhyme and reason behind the mix of days BUT all in all when taken as a whole day it looks pretty balanced.

I would prob add some more quad dominant work. you have i think it was 14 ham and glute dominant sets and only 5 quad dominant and that largely depends on your choice of squat stance and depth. Id think about something unilateral Like step ups, lunges, split squats etc. Maybe even a few sets of front squats on the DL day. Those IMO are a great addition to dl day putting an almost exact opposite load on the core etc taht the pulling does.

Best of luck,
Let us know how it goes,
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:Id think about something unilateral Like step ups, lunges, split squats etc.
[/quote]

I’m gonna throw-in a big Me-Too on adding lunges/step-ups/split-squats. They are an underappreciated movement that can not only build muscle/strength, but also stability and balance.

I’m a big fan of starting every workout with squatting and/or deadlifting. Those two are much too important to only do once a week. For instance, on your Monday workout, I would drop either the incline-bench or flat-bench and do squats instead.

Other than that this is a pretty solid beginner routine. Remember, no routine will work forever, after 6-12 weeks (depending on the person) you’ll probably want to change to a different program. Search around here on T-Nation for some good programs to try out once you’re passed the beginner stage.

[quote]I_am_here wrote:
Hey I would like to hear some comments on my routine, feel free to point out any issues u may have with it. Im just aiming for General strength and Lean mass.

Monday
Bench Press 4 x 80%
Incline Bench 2 x 80%
Flys 4 x 75%
Dips 2 x max

Tuesday
Deadlift 5 x 90%
Good Mornings 4 x 70%
Bent over Row 4 X 80%
Chinups 4 x max
Pull ups 2 x max

Thursday
Crunches 5 sets 20
Sit-ups 2 x Max per Minute
Shoulder Press 4 x 80%
Side Lateral 2 x 80%
Bent Over Lateral 2 x 80%
Rear Delt Row 2 x 80%

Friday
Squats 5x 90%
Straight leg Deadlift 5 x 90%
Calf Raises 5 x 80%
[/quote]

Look good, just scrap the isolation for the meantime

Looks okay.When someone posts a program on the newbie forum I tend to be a little reserved about them simply because if your posting for advice in the newbie forum it means your a newbie. I’ve rarely ever seen a newbie that can put together a decent program or know how to train themselves properly as is relative to their goals. Though yours looks okay there are a ton of articles on this site that are written by people who do this for a living. Try them for a while then when ya get the hang of what your doing modify and go from there…