T Nation

Help with ROM on Bench

My bench has been stuck for a very long time at a very puny weight, around 120, and I really have noticed lately that my elbows are going about 3-5 inches lower than the bench. I know that i need to have them at around the top of the bench in the bottom position, but can’t arch or inhale nearly enough to change it. I tried using a 2" board today and my bench automatically went up but i don’t want to use this crutch for very long. What should I do? Btw my grip is just narrower than pinky on the rings.

What do you mean you “know” your elbows have to be at the top of the bench? (no offence but) Someone benching 120 doesnt “know” anything. You may have READ something, and likely misinterpreted it but you cant say that you actually KNOW that what youre saying is a fact. But if you bench with proper form, shoulders tucked and feet planted, let your elbows go where they naturally go.

Your bench is stuck because you arent eating enough on a daily basis. At 10oz of ground beef to your diet, DAILY, and see what happens.

Thank you for that thorough kick to the ass Bonez, it probably was just a misinterpretation. I’ll add some beef and see what happens.

Assuming that you are eating enough, getting un-stuck at the bench is usually a matter of working on your weaknesses. Stop worring so much about elbow position, and make sure the rest of your form is good (feet planted, back flat against bench, etc.).

Then it is a matter of determining what is holding you back and working those areas. I had the hardest time progressing until I worked my triceps by doing bodyweight dips twice a week. After a month of that, my bench went up 20 lbs.

Your back also comes into play, so make sure you are doing plenty of back work. Strong abs are required to stabilize, etc. Work your entire body and your bench will follow.

[quote]pcdude wrote:
Assuming that you are eating enough, getting un-stuck at the bench is usually a matter of working on your weaknesses. Stop worring so much about elbow position, and make sure the rest of your form is good (feet planted, back flat against bench, etc.).

Then it is a matter of determining what is holding you back and working those areas. I had the hardest time progressing until I worked my triceps by doing bodyweight dips twice a week. After a month of that, my bench went up 20 lbs.

Your back also comes into play, so make sure you are doing plenty of back work. Strong abs are required to stabilize, etc. Work your entire body and your bench will follow.[/quote]

Your back shouldnt be flat while bench pressing. Some sort of arch is needed to maintain proper form.