Help With Resume

Could you guys give me some pointers on making my resume? I’ve never made one before, and my work experience is relatively unimpressive. Just looking for some tips from people that have some more knowledge about these things, thanks!

First of all it can be one page or two, just not greater than two pages. Make sure that you pay a lot of attention to detail. Margins perfect on all sides. If you go two pages, be sure you fill the second page all the way up. Don’t use abbreviations or acronyms. Spell out everything.

I like to do what is called a functional targeted resume. In other words, I look at the job I am applying for and tailor it to what I think they want. I focus on accomplishments, and most importantly, the RESULT of those accomplishments.

I would avoid a chronological resume (sequential list of jobs by date) unless that’s what they want. I do keep one though in case its asked for. Its probably a good idea to do a chronological first so you can get an idea of what you accomplished and when.

If you have more experience than education, put your experience first and the education towards the end. Vice versa if you have education and limited experience. Avoid putting hobbies on the resume or personal details (too many hobbies makes it look like you ar en’t interested in working). Keep it work focused.

Note: I reviewed a resume once and the guy put that his hobby was “managing his portfolio”. Give me a break. Did he need a job? Was he going to work hard? Doubtful. Probably a day trader? Yes.

Make sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors. You can also get a resume book from the library or use a professional resume writer. I hope this helps, Jack

M/S Office has resume templates in it. You can usually find them by choosing NEW / OTHER DOCUMENTS. You can peruse your choices, and basically put in your information.

Hope that helps.

|/ 3Toes

Awesome, thanks a lot fellas.

One note: make it one page only. Employers don’t want stapled or clipped resumes. Make all of your info fit on one page.

go to a college webpage and then to the career services page, there’s always excellent sections about resume writing. my favorites are Yale and UPenn.