Help with Quads

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
-Foam roll entire inner thigh area or do the entire Agile 8 warmup routine (depends how much you want to warm up)

-Static stretch adductor and abductor

[/quote]

Did you miss the part of OP about torn groin? Because I don’t believe you’d be recommending soft tissue work and stretching damaged tissue.

front squats, or Back squats with a narrow slant-board

takes almost all the stress off of your adductors and puts it on the quads

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
-Foam roll entire inner thigh area or do the entire Agile 8 warmup routine (depends how much you want to warm up)

[/quote]

Did you miss the part of OP about torn groin? Because I don’t believe you’d be recommending soft tissue work and stretching damaged tissue. [/quote]

I can’t say I see your point. The OP is talking about squatting a good number of plates, as you can see from his picture. I don’t see how foam rolling or static stretching an injured area in a controlled fashion is more dangerous than a heavily loaded barbell squat. Granted if he had just injured it and could barely walk I would not recommend either of the two methods, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

[quote]tork94 wrote:

takes almost all the stress off of your adductors and puts it on the quads[/quote]

I like the idea of the slant board! I will forgo the depth since the injury to place at the low end of the movement.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[/quote]

Did you miss the part of OP about torn groin? Because I don’t believe you’d be recommending soft tissue work and stretching damaged tissue. [/quote]

I can’t say I see your point. The OP is talking about squatting a good number of plates, as you can see from his picture. I don’t see how foam rolling or static stretching an injured area in a controlled fashion is more dangerous than a heavily loaded barbell squat. Granted if he had just injured it and could barely walk I would not recommend either of the two methods, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. [/quote]

I must say I am seriously against stretching a torn muscle. It’s like pulling on a shirt that already has a hole in it. I have used the foam roller in the past on my IT band and found it to help, so it does have its place. Truthfully, I can be a workout in itself.

As for the weight I had on, for the record it was 550 and not virgin ground for me. This is why I feel depressed about it. So when I hear I am selling myself short on reaching my best squat again I wonder if the advice comes from someone who has been at their best and fallen.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

I did post this pick here in the Injuries and Rehab Forum. I video tape some of my heavy sets from time to time to check my depth. I extracted the pick from the video so I apologies for its quality. The injury happened about 9" up from the bottom.

[/quote]

Didn’t realize you had a post in the I/R forum.

There are so many “window-shoppers” in that forum that just throw out a problem, do not give specific details, and dismiss any questions and/or suggestions from people trying to help. I’m convinced these people are just looking for an answer that validates a decision they’ve already made.

So it’s easy to miss certain posters that genuinely want help and are open-minded about viable options. Since you strike me as someone who fits this category, I’ll check out your post in the I/R forum and give any thoughts there. As always, feel free to take it or leave it.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[/quote]

I can’t say I see your point. The OP is talking about squatting a good number of plates, as you can see from his picture. I don’t see how foam rolling or static stretching an injured area in a controlled fashion is more dangerous than a heavily loaded barbell squat. Granted if he had just injured it and could barely walk I would not recommend either of the two methods, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. [/quote]

I must say I am seriously against stretching a torn muscle. It’s like pulling on a shirt that already has a hole in it. I have used the foam roller in the past on my IT band and found it to help, so it does have its place. Truthfully, I can be a workout in itself.

As for the weight I had on, for the record it was 550 and not virgin ground for me. This is why I feel depressed about it. So when I hear I am selling myself short on reaching my best squat again I wonder if the advice comes from someone who has been at their best and fallen.
[/quote]

If it hurts then don’t do it. That’s really the best advice anyone can give you. Use your discretion.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

If it hurts then don’t do it. That’s really the best advice anyone can give you. Use your discretion. [/quote]

If I took that advice, I wouldn’t get out of bed. :slight_smile:

[quote]tork94 wrote:

takes almost all the stress off of your adductors and puts it on the quads[/quote]

tork94,

I made a slant board and I am planning on giving it a go Saturday. I just tried it with the bar and wow, I think this will do the job. I will get back to you on Monday. Thanks!

doublelung–

Louie Simmons BROKE HIS BACK 2 times. And he is able to still squat heavy now at the ripe age of 63.

There is still hope for you. Just take the rehab/physical therapists advice seriously and do your research to further your education on the injury and what athletes and coaches have done to come back. Take a long view of it, and be stouthearted. You can get back to it.

IMVHO, after the acute healing phase, and acute physical therapy stage, the first thing that needs to be done is gradually work up the torn muscle’s endurance to light work. Then work on the ability to hold isometric contractions for long periods as well as endurance work. Then finally work on hypertrophy, then back to work on general leg strength. Throughout all of this you will need to be very diligent with stretching and soft tissue work on the formerly injured muscle. Obviously there’s no point in stretching painfully or inflaming an acutely injured muscle now, but when it comes time to start working on gradually working on endurance and so on, you will need to do so.

For the short term I am unable to help sadly, as I am not a brilliant corrective exercise person. But I think you’ll get back to work in the long haul just fine.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
doublelung–

Louie Simmons BROKE HIS BACK 2 times. And he is able to still squat heavy now at the ripe age of 63.

There is still hope for you. Just take the rehab/physical therapists advice seriously and do your research to further your education on the injury and what athletes and coaches have done to come back. Take a long view of it, and be stouthearted. You can get back to it.

IMVHO, after the acute healing phase, and acute physical therapy stage, the first thing that needs to be done is gradually work up the torn muscle’s endurance to light work. Then work on the ability to hold isometric contractions for long periods as well as endurance work. Then finally work on hypertrophy, then back to work on general leg strength. Throughout all of this you will need to be very diligent with stretching and soft tissue work on the formerly injured muscle. Obviously there’s no point in stretching painfully or inflaming an acutely injured muscle now, but when it comes time to start working on gradually working on endurance and so on, you will need to do so.

For the short term I am unable to help sadly, as I am not a brilliant corrective exercise person. But I think you’ll get back to work in the long haul just fine.[/quote]

Thanks for the thoughtful encouragement! Maybe the heavy weight will no longer be there but as long as I can do something to keep my hard fought for leg size, I will be just fine.

UPDATE:

I did the slant board on Saturday and waited to see how sore I was. I can say the workout made me wobble; leg extensions right to the slant board, but no soreness. :frowning: I really did not have any heavy weight on, cutting my squat weight in half. Jury is still out but I really like the “Feel”. Thanks tork94 for the tip!