T Nation

Help With Pulling Movements

Here’s the story. A couple of months ago my ring finger was ripped off. They were able to reattach it, but I have no mobility at the knuckle furthest from my hand (the distal), and maybe 50% mobility at the closest knuckle (proximal). I’ve had to give the weights a break since this happened to allow myself to heal.

The three months I’ve taken off have left me signicantly less muscular, and slightly fatter. Due to damage to a tendon shared by other fingers, I have lost almost all of grip strenghth in the affected hand.

Recently my doctor gave me the okay to resume physical exercise. Pushing exercises are not that big of a problem; but because of the severely weakened grip strength pulling motions (rows, curls, pullups etc.) are basically impossible.

Does anybody know of any special straps they might make for something like this? Or has anybody been through somehting similar? I would appreciate any help.

I have hurt and broken some bones and joints in my hands before, but nothing as serious as that.

The only thing that realy worked was continued use.

http://www.fitnessgiant.com/haliho.html

I got a pair of these when i first started lifting, then i realized how much my grip strength would suck if i used them.
A little pressure from you thumb to keep the bar on the hook is all you need.
good luck

[quote]JBomb wrote:
The three months I’ve taken off have left me significantly less muscular, and slightly fatter. Due to damage to a tendon shared by other fingers, I have lost almost all of grip strength in the affected hand.
[/quote]

Not a doctor, but have experience with bad wrist injury and subsequent grip recovery… In addition to straps for pulling exercises I hope you are working on getting the grip strength and range of motion back. If your insurance covers a couple of PT visits, use them to get exercise ideas and acquire the “goodies” that they will make available. If you have the self discipline to stick with it on your own, the first couple visits are probably enough to get the exercise ideas and the “toys” like elastic foam blocks and therapy putty (which are surprisingly expensive when looking online). The grip strength will come back as you work on range of motion, and then you will be able to pull on your own without the extra help.

Speedy recovery,
Ben

Bro dont have this prob but I have the cure ive been doing this to take my upper arms out of the equation no grip to allow me to use back more and let tendonitisd in elbow heal for the first time Im really learing how to use my back on rows etc cable rows that is.

A leather dog leash!! you. just take the end with the hook and hook it to the handle then you can slid it halfway in the loop/hook on the cable machine. then stick hand in to wear the leash grabs on the wrists and you pull from there. get a nioce leather one and loads should be a non issue.

Phill

Hey, thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I’ll definitely check out all of that stuff. My doctor told me my grip strength won’t increase very much over time because I can only get as strong as the damaged tendons will allow, so I definitely am going to go the equipment route. I’m kinda scared to try the Olympic lifts I used to love. Do you think those hooks and straps would work for dynamic movements like those?

You will have to utilize your own judgement (and maybe some other people’s), but here is an article on grip training by Chad Waterbury:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459819

I hope this is useful to you. Good luck.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Bro dont have this prob but I have the cure ive been doing this to take my upper arms out of the equation no grip to allow me to use back more and let tendonitisd in elbow heal for the first time Im really learing how to use my back on rows etc cable rows that is.

A leather dog leash!! you. just take the end with the hook and hook it to the handle then you can slid it halfway in the loop/hook on the cable machine. then stick hand in to wear the leash grabs on the wrists and you pull from there. get a nioce leather one and loads should be a non issue.

Phill[/quote]

You win this week,s special achievement award for innovations in homemade training equipment!!! This is one of them ther forehead smackers where you go HOLEEE SHITE what a great idea I can’t believe I never thought of.

Great idea Phil.