Help With Programming for Size and Strength

Hi,

Need some advise/critique and i guess this is the right place for that

Been following DUp stylw workout for quite some time now , but feel as I am stalling

Current numbers below:

Squat : 135kg
Bench: 95kg
Deadlift: 145kg
OHP: 70kg

DUP Split for the big Three looks like below

Day 1:

Squats: 4 X 4 at 80-85%
BEnch: 4 X 8
Deadlifts: 5 X 1 at 90%

Day 2:
Squats: 5 X 1 at 90%
Bench: 4 X 4 at 80-85 %
Deadlifts: 4 X 6 ( anything above 6 for hypertrophy messes up my form)

Day 3:
Squats: 4 X 8
Bench: 4 X 1 at 90%
Deads: 4 X 4 at 80-85 %

Last week took a week off as deload and threw things off completely.

Went back this week Started the week with Squat Singles at 5 X 1 at 125kg and failed at the first and second attempt.

Below are some videos

https://youtu.be/Hgmg_MTzekg

https://youtu.be/8ysuNlBY9A0

My main goal is Squats…in terms of both size and strength …as i have chicken legs

What road should I take…any suggestions would be appreciated

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with what you’re doing, but that isn’t to say you couldn’t do something better.

Bear in mind I’m not an aesthetics guy, but if it’s leg size you’re after you may need to do more reps for your squats - and that could require some changes. Off top of my head, why not try something like this:

Day 1
Squat - 5x3-5@85%, 1xAMRAP@60%
RDL - 5X10
1 press, 1 row, 3 sets each of 8-12 reps

Day 2
Front squat - 5x3-5@85%, 1xAMRAP@60%
Lunges - 5x10
1 press, 2 rows, 3 sets each of 8-12 reps

Day 3
Deadlift - 5x1-3@90%
Squat - 5x10@60%
1 press, 1 row, 3 sets of each of 8-12 reps

Once you can do all your squat and front squat sets at five and your deadlift sets at three, add five kg and start again. Do the same with your presses and rows. Because they’re for higher reps, you won’t be able to use particularly heavy weights but that will let you focus most of your energy on your squat whole still doing upper body work. Your 5x10 sets you can add weight as you like, but I’d recommend only doing that every three to four weeks.

1 Like

Neat program. I agree with MarkKO you probably should use some volume techniques for the squat.

One simple way would do a dropset after you finished your squat sets. IE remove 10-30lbs and do a set of 12.

And yeah many folks don’t like going too high on the reps for deadlifts. I’m one of them. :slight_smile:

Thanks MarkKO

Yeah might give it a go

Also thinking about switching things to something like 7/5/3 or 8/6/4

My pleasure. I think no matter what you do, you need to look at higher reps and also not just squats for your leg growth.

Squats will be the base of your leg development but adding other exercises will be hugely beneficial. Personally, I don’t think there’s a more bang for your buck assistance than lunges - I hate them, but I know they work. GHRs are great too, but I figure RDLs will be fine if you don’t have a GHR.

1 Like

yeah typically yup until now…on my leg hypertrophy day which is 4 X 8, I also do other leg stuff which includes

Leg press: 3 x 12-15
Leg Extnesions s/s Leg Press: 3 x12
hack Squats: (i dont go heavy on this): 3 X 12
Sissy Squats: 3 X 12 s/s lunges

That’s a lot of assistance work. You may find you get more size from higher rep squats and then just having a couple of assistance exercises you hit really hard. You’ll be able to go a bit heavier that way without having to limit your reps.

One option would be to not worry about setsxreps for assistance but just have a rep target and take as any sets as needed to complete that.

So, for instance you could do day one like

Squat - 5x3-5@85%, 1xAMRAP@60%
RDL - 50 total reps
1 press, 1 row, 3 sets each of 8-12 reps

I am surprised no one addressed this yet, but if leg size/strength is the goal what are you eating?

1 Like

*]Cycle 6 Week 1 **

Day 1:

1. Squats: 4 X 2 at 120kg
    https://youtu.be/rsk2_auLCeI

2. Paused Squats: 4 X 2 AT 102.5kg
    Drop set 1 X AMRAP at 70kg

3. Bench: 4 X 3 at 80kg

4. Deadlifts: 3 X 6 at 120kg

5. Dips: 3 X 10

That doesn’t look too bad. I still reckon you’d be better off with some higher rep leg work in there (instead of DL, for instance).