Help with Program

I’ve just moved back home for the summer and am switching gyms. I’m moving from my local “cardio and social club” gym to something with more free weights and a bit more hardcore. I’m thinking of starting my first T-mag training program and so I read ABBH because there seems to be a lot of positive feedback on it. How do you work out 80% of your 1 rep max etc… I don’t have a training partner and can’t really max out on squats and bench presses. Can I just guess? Is it roughly a weight that I would reach failure with at the end of the prescribed number of reps?

I also thought that I could do more than was prescribed in ABBH. I’m aware that this is one of CW’s main criticisms of the majority of hypertrophy training programs but I am only just 19 years old. Currently I’ve been training on alternate days. I alternate between mainly upper body and mainly lower body workouts something like this:

day1
dbell bench press
4 sets of extended 5s
55kgs

chin ups
5 sets
5 reps
15kgs assistance

pec deck
2 sets
10 reps
50 kgs

1 arm dbell row
3 sets
8 reps
22.5kgs

low incline bench press
3 sets
8 reps
45 kgs

day 3

dbell deadlift
4 sets
5 reps
70kgs

lunges
3 sets
10 reps each leg
25kgs

Romanian deadlift
3 sets
8 reps
65kgs

good mornings
3 sets
12 reps
15 kgs

military press
4 sets
7/8 reps
36kgs

standing row
3 sets
8 reps
35 kgs

day 5

chins
3 sets
10 reps
25 kgs assistance

dbell bench press
3 sets
10 reps
45 kgs

seated row
3 sets
8 reps
45 kgs

dips
3 sets
7 reps

“one and a half” lat raises
3 sets
10 reps
10kgs

tricep rope extensions
2 sets
10 reps
35 kgs

static lunge
2 sets
10 reps each leg
20 kgs

hindu squat
1 set
75 reps

I also do 3 sets of abs each training session using mainly weighted crunches, swiss ball reverse crunces, V sit ups, eccentric sit ups, leg lowers and the vacuum

I do rotater cuff training and forearm training at home once a week. I’m looking for a gym where I can squat, do barbell rows and olympic lifts.

Any help on the ABBH questions or comments on my training at the moment would be really appreciated.

I’m currently 6"1, 82 kgs and roughly 10%bf and looking to slowly add some lean mass.

TommyT, great idea to start ABBH ! The point is you have to follow CW’s prescriptions. Don’t change anything ! You may add the arms option. Try ABBH: it’s only 1.5 month. Then if you are satisfied you may go on with ABBH2, Quattro Dynamo, Singles Club etc. If not try OVT, Westside, King’s programs, EDT, De Franco’s, Alessi’s, Marion’s … In any case try not to change the original program.
Luca

Tommy,

Your choice of ABBH, in my opinion also is great, as Luca stated. PLEASE, though. DO NOT CHANGE THE PROGRAM.

I dont know why it is, but this program seems to be the one that everyone want to change without even giving it a chance. Yes the w/o are short. But, If you do them correctly you will have trouble walking out of the gym. You will have one hell of a w/o. You need to approach every damn set with every little bit of manhood you have. In other words no playing in the gym. You get in there, do your thing and get out. Every movement containing, and commanding every bit of intensity you can give.

If you do this you will get great results. It will also have a good transfer to later programs. Keep this intensity and just DO IT.

As far as the weight to use. Sure you can guestimate the weight. You should barely be able to get the last rep of the final set, but come just short of failure. You could even extend the program a week using the first week to figure out your loads.

Give the program a go. Keep it how Chad intended it. Work breif, work hard, eat big, rest, and GROW…

Hope that Helps, sorry about the negativity coming through at times. It is simply getting a little old having EVERYONE (seemingly) asking to change such a solid program.

Phill

That sounds fair enough Phil… I think I might tweak the program a little bit… just joking mate; I’ve printed it out, and copied it into my workout log book.

What do you think about cardio during ABBH? I like to do some sprints once or twice a week and about 10mins cardio after weights.

I’ve read HST as well. What do you think about strategic deconditioning for ABBH? I was going to take a couple of days rest before starting but do you think that the program might be more effective with a longer break? Thanks in advance for any comments

yeah, I’m also curious about cardio during ABBH

How does my ABBH program look for the first two sessions? I’ve tried to copy it exactly

Day 1

flat dbell bench press
65kgs
3 reps

rest 60 secs

bent over barbell rows
60kgs
3 reps

rest 60 secs

repeat 10 times

(do I need VARIATION in my choice of exercises or can I just repeat the same exercise for 10 sets?)

Day 3

Barbell back squat
55kgs
10 reps

rest 60 secs

cable crunch
15 kgs
10 reps

rest 60 secs

calf press
120 kgs
10 reps

rest 60 secs

repeat 5 times

cardio to finish with for 10 mins or some sprints on rest days???

Tommy that is exactly correct. No you dont want more variance. You use the same excersizes for all the sets.

You should be really struggling to get those last reps but NOT fail.

As far as cardio. Sure you can. It is all dependent on goals. If you are mainly looking to bulk then limit the cardio. Chad states I beleive 15mins hill walking on off days. Something like that. But, this doesnt mean you have to be a couch potatoe. I personnaly do quite a bit of weighted walking and such also while bulking. Not only does it seem to keep some fat off but the activity spped recovery. Just dont over do it if your goal is GROWTH. You will be stabbong yourself in the foot.

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy and get great results from the program.

Phill

On the second day of leg training in ABBH the program recommends doing deadlifts as an alternative to suats from the first day. I have trouble with my form on deadlifts and was wondering if I could use lunges or stiff legged deadlifts instead?

Do the exercise have to be consistent on different days. I did barbell rows on day 1. Could I do seated rows to the neck on day 9 when it is says same as day 1 except more reps per set or do I have to use the same exercise?