Help with Plantar Fasciitis?

So I have developed plantar fasciitis in my in my left foot which probably which probably is also because I do a lot of walking so because I do a lot of walking at my job and with my dogs . Plus I was doing heavy calf raises which I have stopped

My question is do deadlifts and squats make it worse.
I have been lifting in Nike cross training shoes but but thinking about getting some flat shoes like Chuck Taylor’s or vans.
But since I have this Problem with my foot should I take a break from lower body heavy movements altogether that have to do with pressure in my foot or just mabye to light reps

Hopefully someone will respond

I have it and if I don’t do calf work, it gets worse. Maybe try some standing bodyweight calf extensions?
If you put your toes around 5 inches from the wall, can you touch your knee to the wall without taking your heel off the ground? If not, you’re tight.

2 Likes

Squatting and deadlifting should be alright. Trial squatting with a heel lift and see if it helps

1 Like

I been starting doing really light sitting calf raises.
Just with 145 pound plate and doing real slow and controlled and trying to stretch it a little.
Before I was doing like 2 big plates and a 25 and just trying to throw it and maybe I over overdid it.
I just did a couple wall stretches and they do help loosen it

I’m gonna try squatting barefoot and creating an arch and maybe that will help since I’m flat footed

I’ve had a good case of plantar fasciitis twice. I could still do squats and leg presses without noticeable pain. Walking was the problem.

I even tried working calves and was able to do my regular calf workout, but paid the price for a couple days. I made it worse.

My therapy, self treated, was to put pressure on my arch to stretch the fascia by placing the arch of my foot on a rounded object while standing and add more of my body weight. I also bought shoe inserts for easing the pain of plantar fasciitis. They worked pretty good. The pain seemed to last about a week, or two.

Being flat-footed is the most likely cause - speaking from experience! Go see a podiatrist who will give you custom-made orthotics, which is pretty cheap. You put these in your shoes and they ensure your foot rotates correctly. Otherwise every step you take contributes to the problem.
Plus, you need to do plenty of calf stretches.
Nothing you do in the gym should negatively impact it, except running.

People with high arches and flat arches experience plantar fasciitis at the same rate

Custom orthotics do not appear to have any increased benefits over store-bought orthotic insoles

Get a referral to a physio from your doctor.

I can tell what my physio adviced me.
He checked my feet to confirm plantar fascilitis inflammation of tissue of mid foot and sometimes heel.
He examined my gait ,I have a small arch and work a bit flat footed , so he told me to adjust how I walk to feet facing straight.

He prescribed rolling the foot daily on an ice bottle for 10 to 15 mins
And toe raises both be and on a machine
And stretch with foot almost flat against a wall for 15 to 20s.
Plus Nsaids . Doctor said no to stronger Nsaids without the letter.
All footwear must have gel insoles with gel heel raises
This was about a week ago. It’s already working a bit already.
He also got me wearing

I run, and I struggled with plantar fasciitis for a long time. I got better after I went to the doctor and started wearing a boot at night that held my foot in a relaxed but flexed position. It wasn’t comfortable to sleep in but it was an incredibly efficient cure for me.

I don’t believe squats or deadlifts aggravated or caused my plantar fasciitis. I attributed it to the running.

That’s good for you. The squats and deadlifts seem to be an aggravating factor for me. But I am also overweight and walk about 10 miles in safety shoes per day.

Is the plantar fasciitis the tendon that is located at back of the heel?

I used store bought insoles for quite some time to no avail and had crippling tendinitis before seeing a podiatrist and getting custom orthotics, which, being made out of solid, inflexible material, actually corrected my arch somewhat, and that correction has lasted for years.

My wife was born with a club foot and used insoles for nearly 15 years of all sizes and shapes, trying anything to get some relief, and since she visited a podiatrist and got custom orthotics, which in her case (one foot longer than the other and shin bones beginning to shift medially with completely flat foot) were shaped in quite an extreme angle, and very different from left to right foot, and she had experienced long lasting (nearly 2 years) relief for the first time since she can remember.

HOWEVER - this is purely anecdotal and I have read studies that say there’s a negligible difference in curing foot or ankle pain between custom and prefab orthotics, so I know my example isn’t proof of anything. I just know that nearly all of the prefab inserts I’ve seen are malleable or “gel”, and that that sort of instability is a nightmare for feet rocking around and a proper foot strike.

At the very least, choosing the right insole is very important, and choosing the wrong one can be very damaging. I guess it comes down to what one believes the scope of a podiatrist is.

1 Like

Yeah I should have been more clear, custom insoles haven’t shown benefits for plantar fasciitis and patellofemoral pain.

Clubfoot is definitely a whole different ballpark.

Besides that, a lot of the research on this obviously looks at 100s of participants at a time. The “no difference” between custom and store bought insoles applies to the majority (middle of the bell curve), but definitely will not apply at either extremes.

That said, I still don’t think it’s worthwhile to recommend an expensive podiatrist consultation right off the bat

1 Like

Totally agree. Many different avenues to exhaust before then. To your credit, most of the studies that are out there explicitly mention that there hasn’t been a viable cost effectiveness study done yet - the implication being that if the two options ARE comparable, the cost definitely makes one better than the other.

1 Like