Help with Numbers/Goals

hey guys, need your help about setting reasonable targets to achieve by the end of the year.
i’m not new to lifting, but before this i was more geared towards the ‘general fitness’ side. then college started and i became more functional based.

however, after much reading on this site, i realised i’m really quite lacking in terms of strength. i’ve decided that i wanna focus on this, especially since exams will be over soon and i’ll have two months to go balls out before my attachment starts.

i tested my 3 rep maxes over the week and these are my stats:

deadlift: 286pds
bench press: 170pds
back squat: 220pds
push press: 132pds
powerclean: 132pds

as you can see, it really is in need of shaping up.

these are my projected targets to hit:

deadlift: 350pds
bench: 250pds
backsquat: 300pds
push press: 200pds
powerclean: 200pds

what i’d like to know is are these numbers over optimistic? or am i targeting too low?

my own stats are:

height: 176cm (5’10"?)
weight: 80kg (176pds)

Thanks in advance!

I would look into something like a 5x5, you need to build a good base and that is a time tested template to do that.

deadlift is doable, bench looks too high, powerclean looks too high (maybe not if you were getting coached)

how much time are you looking at for these goals?
If you’ve never really tried lifting heavy, and therefore are still able to get newbie gains, I can see you easily achieving that in 6 months if you push yourself enough.

i’m looking at a time span of roughly six months. i’ve never truly done heavy lifting before. maybe “phew, that was heavy” lifting but never “ohmigod i’m going to die” heavy.

anyway, i found this article by Tim Henriques on T-Nation (not sure how to link it) and he has a table on how much you should be able to lift.

so the revised numbers are:

backsquat: 350pds
push press: 180pds
powerclean: 180pds

sound better?

[quote]dasboi wrote:
these are my stats:

deadlift: 286pds
bench press: 170pds
back squat: 220pds
push press: 132pds
powerclean: 132pds

as you can see, it really is in need of shaping up.

these are my projected targets to hit:

backsquat: 300pds
push press: 200pds
powerclean: 200pds

what i’d like to know is are these numbers over optimistic? or am i targeting too low?

my own stats are:

height: 176cm (5’10"?)
weight: 80kg (176pds)

Thanks in advance![/quote]

quick update.

after roughly four months of training, these are my current lift numbers:

deadlift: 360pds
bench: 198pds
backsquat: 286pds
push press: 143pds
powerclean: not sure

havent been able to do power cleans due to certain reasons. this shudnt be much of a prob once i get back to college after my attachment. but that would be in another 3 months time.

overall i’m really happy with what i’ve accomplished, especially the deadlifts. think its time to bring up the bench though.

i’m planning my next training routine which makes use of the “a lift a day” programme, and a little bit more.

it looks something like this:

day 1:
10 sets of 3 reps of deadlift/rack pull (alternate every week)
3 sets of max weighted pull ups
ab work

day 2:
10 sets of 3 reps of bench press
3 sets of 6 of dumbbell shoulder press
2 sets 10 of tricep extensions super-setted with bicep curls

day 3:
rest

day 4:
10 sets of 3 reps of back squats
4 sets of walking lunges
lower back work

day 5:
10 sets of 3 of incline press
3 sets max weighted dips
3 sets of face pulls
ab work

day 6 and 7:
rest

sound like a good plan?

u need more shoulder pressing, trust me as a raw bencher it helps so much, also add in some rows and lower back work, and on leg day do u squat wide, narrow or atg, add in a little hamstring work, do heavy side laterals with about 8-12 reps to gain some mass, i would add in a little more reps on the assistance work so u can gain muscle to work with

usually i squat ATG with my feet shoulder width apart.

for shoulder pressing, how wide should my grip be? for benching, i used to hold the bar at roughly shoulder width or slightly further. but now i’m trying it with a wide grip. felt odd at first but i’m getting used to it now.

thanks for the advice!