T Nation

Help with Next Routine

Hello Guys,

Just about to finish a program and would like to run something else for 6 weeks so I do not get used to my normal program. More i lift/learn/read i decided to try to draw up my own program. Let me know what you guys think?

This is for strength.

Monday - Upper
- Bench Press 3x6
AMARAP - 10% drop
- T Bar Rows 3x6
ISO - Y-W-T 3x30S Hold
- Seated DB Press 3x6
- Heavy Barbell Shrugs 3x6
- Bicep Curls 3x8

Tuesday - Lower
- Squat 3x6
Amrap - 10% drop
- Deadlift 2 x 6
- Back Extensions 3 x 10
- Hip Thrusts 3 x 8
- Hanging Leg Raises 3 x 10
- Calf Press 3 x 8

Thursday - Upper
- Pause Bench 6 x 4
- Incline DB Bench 4 x 6
- Tricep Rope Push down 4 x 8
- Pause T-Bar Row 6 x 4
- Lat Pull Down 3 x 10
- Seated DB Press 3 x 10

Friday - Lower
- Pause Squat 6 x 4
- Pause Deadlift 3 x 4
- Back Extensions 3 x 15
- Hip Thrusts 3 x 10
- Hanging Leg Raises 3 x 15
- Barbell Split Squats - 4 x 5

I think I am going to switch out the DB shoulder press on Thursday for face pulls as I really like how they work the shoulders.

I’ve seen much worse; in fact, this looks a lot like Candito’s linear program for beginners. What was wrong with your last program?

love the last program as its a defranco one. Just looking for something else for 6 weeks or so to spice life up haha.

[quote]Millwrong12 wrote:
I think I am going to switch out the DB shoulder press on Thursday for face pulls as I really like how they work the shoulders. [/quote]

Yeah good idea. program looks fine

Thanks guys. I am going to start it Sunday.

That all looks fine really. I’ve certainly seen much worse.

Couple of questions:

• Do you go setsxreps or repsxsets? Just out of interest. I’m guessing it’s repsxsets.

• IMO unless you’re pulling over double bodyweight as a heavy training weight you might do better with a deadlift variation other than pause DL, but again that’s up to you. If you pull conventional I’d strongly recommend snatch grip or deficit pulls instead.

Everything is sets x reps. I am only pulling a little over my body weight so thank you for the suggestion. Great idea actually.

Everything is sets x reps. I am only pulling a little over my body weight so thank you for the suggestion. Great idea actually. [/quote]

Figures.

Snatch grip is great, it helps ingrain good leg drive and works your grip AND you pull over a longer range of motion. Plus you have to use lighter loads so recovery isn’t compromised. Then of course there’s the loading on your upper back. You can’t really go wrong with snatch grip as a driver for your conventional pull IMO.

Candito’s strength program is six weeks long and pretty good.

Hey! Hope all is well. Before I say anything I want you to know that Im a personal trainer and a kettlebell instructor with various certifications and training/coaching experience under my belt.

That training program looks pretty well rounded and effective… But I did notice some repetition and redundancies here and there.
Just a general guideline for programing, firstly it all depends on your goal. The more specific it is, the narrower your movement/training patterns will be especially in terms of variables such as sets, reps and rest…

But if youre just looking for general strength, power, functionality and structural integrity I would advise you to incorporate all primal movement patterns (vertical push/pull, horizontal push/pull, hinge, squat, lunge and rotation). If you include movements such as overhead presses, pullups, some rowing variation, bench press, deadlifts, squats and lunge variations, as well as russian twists, wood chops or full contact twists for rotation, you are pretty much set.

But of course I wouldnt stop there personally, I would add more accessory work especially for the lower body, posterior chain and upper back. That way you will develop a functional body that performs well and looks good with minimal risk of injury from pattern overload.

I did a little more modifying for Monday- Upper Body workout

Monday â?? Upper Body

1. Bench Press 3 x 6 Horizontal Push
    AMRAP â?? 10 Percent Drop
  2. T- Bar Rows 3x6 Horizontal Pull
  3. Seated DB Press 3x6 Vertical Push
  4. Pull ups 3x8 Vertical Pull
  5. Heavy Barbell Shrug 3x6 Shoulder/Trap
  6. Bicep Curl 3x8 Elbows Flexion
  7. Dips 3x8 Elbow Extension

Not too sure if 7 exercises will be too much but this covers pretty much full upper body for strength.

Any advice on this?

I did a little more modifying for Monday- Upper Body workout

Monday â?? Upper Body

1. Bench Press 3 x 6 Horizontal Push
    AMRAP â?? 10 Percent Drop
  2. T- Bar Rows 3x6 Horizontal Pull
  3. Seated DB Press 3x6 Vertical Push
  4. Pull ups 3x8 Vertical Pull
  5. Heavy Barbell Shrug 3x6 Shoulder/Trap
  6. Bicep Curl 3x8 Elbows Flexion
  7. Dips 3x8 Elbow Extension

Not too sure if 7 exercises will be too much but this covers pretty much full upper body for strength.

Any advice on this?
[/quote]

Looks fine.

If you’re pressed for time though, I’d cut the shrugs. I’ve never seen a big, strong guy doing them. If you’re already deadlifting heavy, you don’t need them.

I bumped the sets and reps to 3x8 for a little better workout and still in strength building range.

Finished in a hour and 15 minutes with a good 15 min warm up.