Help WIth My Program?

Hi

I’m 17, 6’1" and about 200 lbs.
Generally, my main goal is to reduce body fat percentage (unknown at the moment) and gain muscle.
More bulk than fat, I have a bit more body fat than I’d like, but I’m not dripping with fat (dont really have a gut).

After a lot of reading, I’ve decided to create a proper free weight exercise workout for myself.
I’m not going to the gym at the moment, mainly due to the cost of the gym.
I’ve used weights when I was 14/15, to add some muscle, which I found was successful. But I’ve been on and off ever since.

Recently, I’ve been using a workout dvd, which (although probably a gimmick) I found useful just to burn off some energy. I found know major difference after using it for 4 months.
(Useful for muscle maintenance I guess)
Im regularly involved in cardio, football (1-2 hours) about 3x week,
running (1/2 - 1 hour) about 2/3x week.
In summer holidays, I’ll be doing a lot more cardio.

I rarely eat fast food, and my diet is generally healthy, although I’m going to improve it as I start making money for better foods.

Monday
CHEST;

1. Dumbbell Chest Press (Flat Bench)
  2. Dumbbell Fly
  3. Push Ups

TRICEPS;

1. Skull Crushers
  2. Overhead Triceps Extensions
  3. Close Grip Bench Press

Tuesday
OFF

Wednesday
BICEPS;

1. Standing Barbell Curls
  2. Standing Reverse Curls
  3. Hammer Curls

BACK;

1. Deadlifts
  2. Chin Ups

Thursday
OFF

Friday
SHOULDERS;

1. Military Presses
  2. Barbell Shrugs

LEGS;

1. Squats
  2. Lunges

Saturday
OFF

Sunday
OFF

I’m aiming for most of the exercises to be compound.

Most exercises will be done for 10 repetitions with 3 sets.

My questions

1. Will this workout be effective (are the exercises efficient from your own experience? Suggestions on other exercises)
  2. Do I need to radically change my diet to see improvements?
  3. Are free weights bad to use unless you have a spotter?
  4. I’ve decided to use 5kg weights, any reasons why I should use a different amount?
  5. How long should a workout typically be?
  6. Workout too short/long? How to change?
  7. At the earliest, when can I see improvements?

Thanks again for reading all of this, or reading any of it tbh.
Dont feel the need to answer all these questions, just answer the ones that you can provide the best advice for, and leave ones you’re not that sure of.

Thanks again for reading.

[quote]Plectrums wrote:
Hi

I’m 17, 6’1" and about 200 lbs.
Generally, my main goal is to reduce body fat percentage (unknown at the moment) and gain muscle.
More bulk than fat, I have a bit more body fat than I’d like, but I’m not dripping with fat (dont really have a gut).

After a lot of reading, I’ve decided to create a proper free weight exercise workout for myself.
I’m not going to the gym at the moment, mainly due to the cost of the gym.
I’ve used weights when I was 14/15, to add some muscle, which I found was successful. But I’ve been on and off ever since.

Recently, I’ve been using a workout dvd, which (although probably a gimmick) I found useful just to burn off some energy. I found know major difference after using it for 4 months.
(Useful for muscle maintenance I guess)
Im regularly involved in cardio, football (1-2 hours) about 3x week,
running (1/2 - 1 hour) about 2/3x week.
In summer holidays, I’ll be doing a lot more cardio.

I rarely eat fast food, and my diet is generally healthy, although I’m going to improve it as I start making money for better foods.[/quote]

Get in the gym get consistent, and nail a solid Diet #1 above anything of what your doing do it something

put the back exercises before the biceps. the Bi’s are used in the pulling work and you will limit the workload of larger more improtant muscle bi prefatigueing the bi’s

Id give your legs at least there own day If wanting to do something like this think about Pull, Push. legs. This will allow DL on the pull day and have the upper pressing day between that and the leg day

[quote]
Saturday
OFF

Sunday
OFF

I’m aiming for most of the exercises to be compound.

Most exercises will be done for 10 repetitions with 3 sets.

My questions

1. Will this workout be effective (are the exercises efficient from your own experience? Suggestions on other exercises)
  2. Do I need to radically change my diet to see improvements?[/quote]
    dont know what are you eating wana gain eat more wana lose eat less, eating like shit and want to get healthy eat better

[quote]
3) Are free weights bad to use unless you have a spotter?[/quote]
no

[quote]
3) I’ve decided to use 5kg weights, any reasons why I should use a different amount?[/quote]

its a start a low one but a start

[quote]
4) How long should a workout typically be?[/quote]
generally , Hour

[quote]
5) Workout too short/long? How to change?
6) At the earliest, when can I see improvements?[/quoted] very noticeable improvement, months, good base and getting impressive years

[quote]

Thanks again for reading all of this, or reading any of it tbh.
Dont feel the need to answer all these questions, just answer the ones that you can provide the best advice for, and leave ones you’re not that sure of.

Thanks again for reading. [/quote]

Hope that helps

Phill

i have been similar to you. on/off in the gym, just podgy enough to feel uncomfortable. i’m telling you dude it’s the best feeling in the world when you work out regularly. you feel solid and happy. get in there mate. work hard and don’t forgat to EAT!

you will amke rapid progress to start so change it up every 4-8 weeks to keep those newbie gains going. What Phill says is right too. you’ve started, just make sure you keep going

Good luck

Dave