Help With My Meniscus

I tore my meniscus cartilage this past summer. I didn’t know it at first, but there have been many times since when it feels like my knee ‘slips out’ of joint and it locks (in almost a 90 degree angle). I cannot move it forward at all moving it back is difficult and the only relief or ‘fix’ for it is to bring is up towards the left, just as if I was putting the outer side of my ankle on my knee while sitting.

After this happened twice I mad an appointment, my moron sub doctor told me to stop lifting weights cause their bad for you (right…) and referred me to an orthopedic doctor. She did an MRI and saw no damage and prescribed therapy, and at first it helped, but soon after it began happening (on average) almost once a week (the slipping out feeling).

I have always been a lifter, and my therapist cut my therapy early because “you can do everything I have and this is no benefit”. Doctor gave me a cortisone shot after that (end of Nov), and it loosened up right away and it has only has seemed to ‘slip out’ (the pain started but it never actually locked in the 90 degree angle).

Doctor told me I don’t need surgery and I should go on with life and do everything I did before. However, there still is a click once in a while, and it doesn?t feel the same. Exercising helps (elliptical, bike squats, squat machines, lunges, etc.)

Again, it doesn?t always feel the same. Am I just going to be a slave to doing therapy exercises for the rest of my life? Is there a better way, or is it this or surgery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My opinion? You need to find a better doc.

If conservative therapy hasn’t done the trick, and you continue to lock up, what happens if you are squatting heavy and this happens?

Drop me a line at mike@robertsontrainingsystems.com if you need some advice. Regardless, if you have a torn meniscus your MRI should’ve shown it. Whether your radiologist or your doc is the idiot, I don’t know - but you need to get this taken care of.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]La Porta wrote:
I tore my meniscus cartilage this past summer. I didn’t know it at first, but there have been many times since when it feels like my knee ‘slips out’ of joint and it locks (in almost a 90 degree angle). I cannot move it forward at all moving it back is difficult and the only relief or ‘fix’ for it is to bring is up towards the left, just as if I was putting the outer side of my ankle on my knee while sitting.

After this happened twice I mad an appointment, my moron sub doctor told me to stop lifting weights cause their bad for you (right…) and referred me to an orthopedic doctor. She did an MRI and saw no damage and prescribed therapy, and at first it helped, but soon after it began happening (on average) almost once a week (the slipping out feeling).

I have always been a lifter, and my therapist cut my therapy early because “you can do everything I have and this is no benefit”. Doctor gave me a cortisone shot after that (end of Nov), and it loosened up right away and it has only has seemed to ‘slip out’ (the pain started but it never actually locked in the 90 degree angle).

Doctor told me I don’t need surgery and I should go on with life and do everything I did before. However, there still is a click once in a while, and it doesn?t feel the same. Exercising helps (elliptical, bike squats, squat machines, lunges, etc.)

Again, it doesn?t always feel the same. Am I just going to be a slave to doing therapy exercises for the rest of my life? Is there a better way, or is it this or surgery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I am an ex-professional basketball player that has gone through a fair share of surgeries for my knees. I had torn meniscus as well as Phemoral Antiversion (twisted phemurs). The clicking your experiencing isn’t anything to worry about it and sooner than later you won’t even notice it anymore. What was most likely the case was that you had some swelling in the knees that locked you up… It happens… and it doesn’t feel good. I remember being at basketball camps at night and not even being able to bend my knee cause it locked straight. The cortisone loosened you up like you said and your rehab(instead of heavy lifting) gave it some time off.

Your injury, more than likely, has recouped now. The next step is to break past your mental worries. Everytime I got back from surgeries it was difficult. You feel like you aren’t ready and you notice every little thing about your body. You have to realize that you’ve done the rehab, given the rest and the best thing for you to do is get back after it. I personally have no cartilage in my right knee, it clicks consistently (actually evertime I bend my knee), I still workout as hard as I did before and I have realized that I’ve done everything to fix it and my doctor said I’m cleared. Your doctor has done the same.

Now, I am not saying forget about your injury. If you lock up again… GO TO A NEW DOCTOR… and ask for a scope. It will put you out a week or two if nothing is wrong, if something is, they’ll take care of it. For instance, I had torn my meniscus and it flipped inside on me… That is why I locked up… The doctors had no idea till they scoped it.