Help with My Goals

look, i know i ask alotta questions but I’m in a rut. i already screwed this diet up by eating to little and have been stalled for a week now (just check scale again yesterday) I’m 245 down from 265ish. what i want to do is start this cut all over again but another one of my goals is i really want to get my lifts up. my question is would it be a bad idea to do strong lifts for another month and get my squat/bench,deadlift where i want to be first and eat a lot of clean food in the process before i cut? my bench is around 250 now and squat is 300 and dead is now 390. i want a 420 deadlift, 280 bench, and mostly a 350 squat.

I’m just wondering if i can do strong lifts a little longer eating about 800 calories over maintenance until i get these lifts or close to them and once i get them then start doing a slow cut and and try as hard as i can to maintain my lifts. i just really want to get stronger before i start a serious cut the right way. what do u guys think? I’m 5’11 and 245 and prob around 30% body fat, maybe more

Yes, you can get stronger and then cut.

You don’t need to eat over maintenance to get stronger.

EDIT: Additionally, if your goal is strength, I do not understand why you want to only maintain your lifts while you cut. Were I you, I would attempt to get stronger while I did it.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Yes, you can get stronger and then cut.

You don’t need to eat over maintenance to get stronger.

EDIT: Additionally, if your goal is strength, I do not understand why you want to only maintain your lifts while you cut. Were I you, I would attempt to get stronger while I did it.[/quote]

thanks maybe ill just eat around maintenance until i reach my goals then cut and if possible try to get stronger as well while cutting fat

This a huge misconception in my opinion. You do not I repeat DO NOT need to be in a massive calorie surplus in order to get stronger. If your goal is to add alot lean mass and get stronger then yes a surplus is needed but strength can easily be attained at damn near the same level at maintenance levels. My strength has increased LEAPS and BOUNDS and I have barely went over 2400 calories aday in the past 8 months unless on a cheat shit day.

[quote]Reed wrote:
This a huge misconception in my opinion. You do not I repeat DO NOT need to be in a massive calorie surplus in order to get stronger. If your goal is to add alot lean mass and get stronger then yes a surplus is needed but strength can easily be attained at damn near the same level at maintenance levels. My strength has increased LEAPS and BOUNDS and I have barely went over 2400 calories aday in the past 8 months unless on a cheat shit day.[/quote]

thanks. i thinks I’m going to go on walks in the morning and train at night and eat maybe 100 over maintenance if not less. idk

[quote]Reed wrote:
This a huge misconception in my opinion. You do not I repeat DO NOT need to be in a massive calorie surplus in order to get stronger. If your goal is to add alot lean mass and get stronger then yes a surplus is needed but strength can easily be attained at damn near the same level at maintenance levels. My strength has increased LEAPS and BOUNDS and I have barely went over 2400 calories aday in the past 8 months unless on a cheat shit day.[/quote]

I agree w/ this. It’s been proven that strength can be greatly increased by keeping the reps low, volume low and intensity high while maintaining calories. Lots of singles - do them explosively and focus on technique.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

I agree w/ this. It’s been proven that strength can be greatly increased by keeping the reps low, volume low and intensity high while maintaining calories. Lots of singles - do them explosively and focus on technique. [/quote]

good advice thanks

You have roughly 200,000 kcal surplus on your body right now. Eat clean and in such a way that you ar maximizing the fuel you already have stored on you. Limit carbs to pre-, during, and post workout. Keep protein fairly high, and let your fat stores fuel your everyday activities and basic metabolic needs.

I would say that to help you with your goals, you have to have SET GOALS. You seem to be doubting your training program, your diet etc. You seem to be all over the road. I can sense your frustration. Can I start by saying to calm down? Sit down and write some goals. You can’t be all vague and shit. They have to have the following elements to them. Time sensitivity, they must be specific and measurable.

For example you can write. 1) I want to bench 315# by March 31st and I will log my progress on each workout. or 2) I will lose 10% body fat by March 31st. I will measure every Monday upon waking by using the 3 site Jackson Pollock testing method.

Then think about how you will accomplish those specific goals. then get to it. Quit worrying about calories and shit. Just eat clean and train like a fucking beast. If you eat clean, you’ll probably struggle to get enough calories. Focus most of your carbs and shit to pre workout and some after. Otherwise, eat clean all other times and off days. Quit worrying about what your scale reads. In fact toss it out. Go off of feel. Are your jeans falling off your ass or are they tight as fuck. Let that be you guide. you didn’t get out of shape overnight, you AINT gonna get fit overnight either. Accept it but use that to stay motivated.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
I would say that to help you with your goals, you have to have SET GOALS. You seem to be doubting your training program, your diet etc. You seem to be all over the road. I can sense your frustration. Can I start by saying to calm down? Sit down and write some goals. You can’t be all vague and shit. They have to have the following elements to them. Time sensitivity, they must be specific and measurable.

For example you can write. 1) I want to bench 315# by March 31st and I will log my progress on each workout. or 2) I will lose 10% body fat by March 31st. I will measure every Monday upon waking by using the 3 site Jackson Pollock testing method.

Then think about how you will accomplish those specific goals. then get to it. Quit worrying about calories and shit. Just eat clean and train like a fucking beast. If you eat clean, you’ll probably struggle to get enough calories. Focus most of your carbs and shit to pre workout and some after. Otherwise, eat clean all other times and off days. Quit worrying about what your scale reads. In fact toss it out. Go off of feel. Are your jeans falling off your ass or are they tight as fuck. Let that be you guide. you didn’t get out of shape overnight, you AINT gonna get fit overnight either. Accept it but use that to stay motivated. [/quote]

thanks man. will deff put some ideas down on paper.

1 pound of muscle burns 50 calories a day so gaining some muscle first could help with cutting the fat later.