T Nation

Help with my diet?

I am 6'1, 185 lbs, and doing 5/3/1. Here is my diet let me know what you think.

Meal 1: 4 hard boiled eggs (with yolks), kale and broccoli, glass of milk, 1 Opti-men multi

Meal 2: Chicken Breast or lean beef burger, brocoli, kale, milk

work out

Meal 3: Salmon, kale brocoli, milk, and 1 avocado

Meal 4: Protein Shake, or meat with veggies

Lots of water throughout the day

Are you trying to gain body mass?

I also drink about a half gal of whole milk

Others will chime in to so here is my opinion. I believe you are not eating enough carbohydrates and even protein to really gain.

Meal 1: 4 hard boiled eggs (with yolks), 1/2-1 cup oatmeal, 1 orange, 1 multi vit, 3 fish oils caps

Meal 2: 2 Beef burgers (w/ lettuce, onion, and tomato) banana, and mashed potatoes

work out
Post-workout: Protein shake

Meal 3: Salmon or chicken breast* (*size of open hand), 1/2-1 cup rice, greens (have more variety than just broccoli)

Meal 4: Pasta with ground beef.

Meal 5: Cottage cheese, 1/2-1 cup oatmeal, 1 apple

I am not a diet expert but this is something that is well balanced and I believe is doable. However, I do not know how fast you gain weight so adjust accordingly. ANYONE feel free to adjust this diet or even his existing. I however, do not condone the use of milk or even dairy. There are much better alternatives to dairy, it is to fattening. That's just my opionion. If you are worried about calcium, than just buy a calcium supplement.

When I say size of open hand of chicken breast, I buy them by the box full and some are very small.

How many cal/day? How many g from protein/fat/carbs?

I agree with what Fuzzyapple has to say on carbs. I also like your template and think you should keep it.

Oats, rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, yams, and fruit can be added to meals. You may want to consider this on training days at first or every other day. Try some things, see how you feel, make note.

You probably need to eat more protein, your descriptions though are vague and I am imputing about 30g for the chicken and fish each assuming a standard serving of 150g raw and 1 scoop of protein. If this is accurate, you are 100g below the 1.5g/lb for daily intake. Please tell us your actual consumption raw or cooked.

If what I guess about your protein intake is true, you might want to double the meat servings and your night shake as well as add a couple eggs. Once again this is something you can play with, just try to keep your variables limited. Another protein option is 4 scoops of whey added to milk (half gallon).

You also make no mention of workout nutrition, at the very least powdered gatorade and whey with a pinch or two of salt. I hear they have some nice things in the Biotest store too if you have cash to blow.

Looks like you could use some carbs PWO...preferably a grain or starchy vegetable. I would move your shake to PWO as well. If you've had a hard time bulking up in the past you might as well go ahead and try a higher carb diet like someone recommended above However, if you're also trying to keep fat gain in check, you might want to add in carbs PWO only at first and see where that gets you. If no progress in size, add them into another meal as well. I know some people swear by milk, but I've also read that if you have a sensitivity to dairy it'll get you nothing other than digestive issues. You might want to consider taking out the milk and replacing it with another daily protein shake if you suspect any digestive issues.