T Nation

Help With Mom's Health

Hey guys, recently I made a post in a thread about alcohol and its effects. My mom has been a heavy drinker for years and just got put in the hospital last Monday. When I saw her the Sunday before I had just got back from a business trip outta town and she looked emaciated, like she came out of a concentration camp. That is about as close a description of it as I can give you.

Fast forward to today, while she was in the hospital all the fluid they tried to give her to rehydrate her just built up in her legs and stomach and now she looks pregnant. To be honest it is the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life. But the even more sad thing is, not 10 minutes after being home she just lit up a cigarette. I believe smoking suppresses appetite, plus its probably already non-existant to begin with.

My dad told me if she eats right and does everything right she has a 10% (yes 10%) chance of living another 3 years. I suggested to her having protein shakes, since they’re basically like milk shakes if you make 'em right. Honestly, I don’t think she’s going to be around much longer the way things look right now. If anyone has any suggestions I’d love to have some input.

Wow, I’m really sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, I don’t think any advice I would give normally would be applicable. I’ve never dealt with anyone close to me with a serious addiction. Is she in a support group? Has your family looked into professional rehab?