T Nation

Help With Leg Day

I think I need some help with my leg day. My intention was to have a quad dominant day on Monday doing back squats,leg press, and seated calf raises and a glute/ham dominant day on Thursday doing deadlifts,GHR’s, and donkey calf raises.

Well cut to 12 weeks later and my legs still hurt too much after Monday’s workout to do a Thursday leg day.

I’m doing 10x3 on back squats and either 5x5 or 3x10 on leg presses

My question is this…

Should I just do 1 leg day doing back squats AND deadlifts same day while alternating each week which I go heavy on?

I really want to bring my squat #'s up and to do that, I think I need to deadlift.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated

thanks

-DT

Well clearly your not able to recover form Mondays workout in time for Thursday, so this means you’ve been neglecting your Hams for 12 weeks. So why not train legs once a week, or every 5 days(depending on recovery) and focus a bit more on your leg flexors.

Maybe something like this…
Squat
Romanain Deadlift
Leg Curl
Calf Raise

Good luck!

Maybe you are doing too many sets, or going too close to failure on too many sets, for your current level. Cut back to 8 or even 6 sets of squats, cut the leg presses down to 2 sets or cut them all together.

On your posterior chain day use lifts that do not stress the quads, stiff legged or romainian deadlifts, or good mornings…

Have you tried “active recovery”. That is doing some stretching or light, high rep squats, leg presses or leg extension the next day after your quad workout?

Also, I find some muscles respond well to being “sore” most of the time. My quads and spinal erectors are almost always a little sore and still seem to be getting gradually stronger. However, if I push my chest and shoulders hard enough that they are sore a lot I seem to loose strenght in pressing movements, so maybe it is not a bad thing to be sore, just block it out and grind out your workout plan. Of course, it is different for everybody depending on your definition of “soreness”, your age, your training experience, your strength, etc.

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:
Well clearly your not able to recover form Mondays workout in time for Thursday, so this means you’ve been neglecting your Hams for 12 weeks. So why not train legs once a week, or every 5 days(depending on recovery) and focus a bit more on your leg flexors.

Maybe something like this…
Squat
Romanain Deadlift
Leg Curl
Calf Raise

Good luck![/quote]

Appreciated, although I don’t think I’ve been totally neglecting my hams. I do wide squats which seem to hit my hams more than my quads (which is why I throw in the leg presses) and I also toss in some back extensions trying hard to fire my glutes/hams at the top.

another question: Are GHR’s supposed to be this hard? I know my legs are pathetic (but getting better) but I don’t think I can do one proper GHR on the back extension apparatus.

I also do seated,standing,and donkey calf raises throughout the week