T Nation

Help with Ketosis Meal Plan

So I am trying to loose bodyfat while still building strength, my training is currently on track but the diet is where the problem is at, i've never dieted in this sort of way before so i don't know much about the type of nutrition is required.

Current meal plan for fat loss/strength gain:
morning post workout protein/creatine shake, a banana, 100 grams of oats and rougly 150ml of milk
meal 1 - 150-160grams of chicken (cooked weight) 100 grams of brocolli
meal 2 - same as above
meal 3 - same as above
meal 4 - same as above
meal 5 - protein shake
meal 6 - 400 grams of cottage cheese

I'm also drinking 2litres of pure green tea a day along with 2-4litres of water.

I would be grateful for any advice regarding what i should add or deduct from my above meal plan. :slightly_smiling:

Ketogenic diets have been around for a long time -- and I think there is a recent resurgence in interest for a number of reasons. A ketogenic diet is defined as consuming somewhere between 100 and 0 grams of carbs per day (most information sources agree that less than 50 grams of carbs per day is achievable and will put most people in ketosis in anywhere from 3 to 20 days. It takes me about 3 days.

The actual suggested percentages can vary depending on the information source you draw from, but it goes something like this: 70% of calories from fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. There is evidence monounsaturated polyunsaturated fat is more ketogenic than saturated fat -- but saturated fat will still get you there. (Differential Metabolic Effects of Saturated Versus Polyunsaturated Fats in Ketogenic Diets, Fuerhlein, et al., 2004).

Everyone is different, so your mileage may vary. There is an unofficial writeup on another forum (with food suggestions). (Try googling: A guide to ketosis).

They have been prescribed to people with epileptic seizures, and it has been clinically shown to reduce seizures in a sub-set of patients. There is "strong supportive evidence" in clinical trials that it is an effective weight-loss diet. (Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets, Paoli et al., 2013).

The basic idea is that by eating so few carbs, your body switches over to a mechanism where ketones are produced through a lipolysis process (I'm not a biochemist, so you have to do your own reading if you want those details). As long as you are not diabetic, it is thought to be relatively safe to try (do not confuse ketosis with ketoacidosis -- a dangerous condition for diabetics).

Many sources of information will talk about a "mental clarity" that is achieved on ketosis, but it is all anecdotal, and I'm not aware of any studies that have prospectively examined this claim (so I'm skeptical). (The effects of the ketogenic diet on behavior and cognition, Hallbook, et al., 2012). I've been in ketosis, and I agree that "you feel different", but I wouldn't describe it as mental clarity.

Currently, there are some clinical trials investigating whether a ketogenic diet can slow cancer growth, and/or improve the effects of chemo on cancers. Some types of cancer are very glycolytic, having as much as 50x the glucose uptake of normal cells, so it stands to reason that a low glucose environment in the body may be helpful. However, not all cancers cells are this way, so if it does work, it will only work on a few types of cancers.

It will reduce your blood glucose and blood insulin levels significantly (Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets, Paoli et al., 2013).

It has been proposed to benefit/prevent alzheimer's and parkinson's patients (as a neuroprotectant) and cardiovascular disease -- but I'm not aware of any data to support those suppositions.

You can buy "ketosticks" to test for ketone bodies in urine (50 strips costs about $10 or less). There are also blood meters (very similar to glucose meters) that can be had for less than $50, with strips costing about $1 per strip (pretty pricey, IMO).

Your first bowl of oats probably puts you over the 50 g's of carb limit.

Typical ketogenic diet is: oils, meats, butter, creams, cheese, nuts, veggies, limited fruit. Stay away from breads, flour, pasta, sugar...
Also note, too much protein will supposedly kick you out of ketosis too, but everyone is different, and you'd need to experiment.

As stated above, you are not on the right track.

Use the search function on the top right. Lots of excellent info on this site alone.

My favourite AD breakfast was 6 eggs, 4 slices of bacon, Brie cheese and a glass of cream. See the difference?

Thanks for all the info! :slight_smile:
Changed my meal plan around a bit now, daily protein intake differes from 280g (non-training days) to 310g (training days), the fat intake will be 100 g (mainly from nuts, cod liver oil, eggs, flaxseed oil), fibre 20g (i might take a fibre supp to boost that number a little), carbs are at 26.5g (6.5g from almonds/walnuts and 20g from brocolli).

6:30-7:30am - if weight training im going to sip on a diluted protein shake intra workout if doing low intestity i'll have it after the workout
8:30am - 5 whole eggs (might throw in a couple egg whites... not sure yet
11:00am - 150g cooked chicken breast, 75g brocolli, 20g mixed almond and walnuts
13:30pm - same
16:00pm - same
18:30pm - same
21:00pm - 100g cooked chicken breast + 1tbsp of cod liver oil or flaxseed oil
Prior sleep - protein shake + cod liver oil or flexseed oil
I am also drinking 2.3litres of green tea between 9:00am and 13:00pm and 4.5litres of water throughout the rest of the day.

I welcome any criticism or advice :slight_smile:

I see you dropped the banana. That makes sense, but make sure to add in something with potassium. Avocado is good because it's mostly fat and fiber and is loaded with potassium.

Also, I eat a half of a cup of fiber one cereal every day with unsweetened almond milk. You may not find this necessary, but I find it helps keep things moving. It also helps you feel like you can eat something crunchy like you used to and still stay in ketosis.

You aren't going to be in ketosis or ketogenesis with so much protein and so little fat.
You want fat to be the dominant macro nutrient if you are wanting to do a keto diet.

I still see benefits of cutting back the carbs. Ketosis or not, when I cut carbs to 50 grams or less per day, I get leaner. Not a placebo effect either, I'm just very carb sensitive. I count calories. I lose more fat when I cut carbs out.

Please use the search function. You are so off, not even funny.

According to your numbers, you are at 55%protein and 45% fat. Just over 2k calories. My weight loss calories was almost double yours....

You need more 60% fat and 40% protein. 50g of carbs. The 50 carbs is not written in stone. I found I worked better with less (around 25 for me) and some people worked fine with 100g. You need to find out for yourself.

For extra fiber, use pills or mix in water type. You want to keep the carbs low. I found that I was fine with the broccoli and spinach I ate.

I based my nutrition of Dave Palumbo Ketogenic diet http://thisiswhyyourejacked.com/dave-palumbos-ketogenic-diet/ on there it states that my body will still go into ketosis with high protein/moderate fat diet; or is the information on there invalid?

Dave is a huge man.

I have personally never seen those numbers with Keto diet. He might be on to something, I have no idea. I followed the guidelines from the creator himself. DiPascale. (with some input from a former member).

Ill never understand why people go to a different site and come here asking questions about it....... I would also gather you never looked at any info here? Or asked Dave himself?