T Nation

Help with Karate/Training Split

Hi everyone.

I’ve just taken up full Kyokushin Karate and I’m trying to work out a training split that will let me work out at the gym and still go to practice twice a week.

My goal is a change in body composition. I’d like to eat at maintenance level and let the karate and weight training do it’s thing. I’m not too sure about goals right now, since I’ve put on a lot of extra fat during my bulk, and I hate not fitting into my clothes.

I’m a teacher in Japan and we’ve been on holidays, and it’s been totally screwing up my routine.
Right now I’m thinking
Mon: Karate
Tues: Upper body
Wed: Karate
Thurs: Lower body
Fri: rest
Sat: Upper body
Sun: rest

Kyokushin is full-contact karate, but there’s no punching to the face (you can totally kick 'em in the head though). Thus you tend to end up pounding on each others torsos a lot, trying to elicit a show of pain or wind them. Kicks are also used heavily.

Option 2 is:

Mon: Karate
Tues: Waterbury’s Total Body Training day 1
Wed Karate
Thurs: Waterbury’s Total Body Training day 3
Fri: rest
Sat: Waterbury’s Total Body Training day 5
Sun: Rest
And so on…

Any advice would be much appreciated
Growr.

bump?

Eat clean…treat your karate days as rest days and continue as necessary with what ever programme you want. There is no need to rest on friday and sunday completely.

kyokushin…i remember doing it when i was a kid, it will def. make you tougher that kumite they have is fucking tough, should be a lot of fun for you…good luck

I’m following a parameter similar to your “Option 2.”

I do an hour of karate on my weight training days, 1.5 hours on non-lifting days. I only rest one day a week.

Osu!
Kyokushin practicioner here.

This is my plan:

Monday:
morning bone conditioning
weight lifting
afternoon plyo work
night karate
stretch

Tuesday: morning bone conditioning
afternoon high intensity jogging
20 minutes
night karate
stretch

Wednesday:morning bone conditioning
weight lifting
afternoon plyo work
bag work
night swimming
stretching

thursday: like tuesday minus karate, replace with wrestling

friday: like monday except no karate

saturday: morning bone conditioning
karate
afternoon high intensity
circuit/strongman stuff
night bag work

sunday: light bag work + stretch

Training is great but doing more specific kyokushin stuff would be good. More bag hitting for example.

Good luck osu

Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

If I burn down Blazindave’s routine to the minimum by taking out that stuff that I don’t really think I need, then I get:

Mon:
Weight training
Karate

Tues:
Cardio
Karate

Wed:
Weight training
Cardio

Thurs:
Cardio
Wrestling

Fri:
Weight Training

Sat:
Karate
“weight training”

Sun:
Rest

So, to sum up, you’re basically superman. How the hell do you recover from that amount of volume? I, unfortunately, don’t heal so fast, so I guess I’ll have to do something a little more relaxed. I also have to try to minimize DOMS.

Option 2 might be the way to go, like Vash, but I can only really train Karate 2 days a week.

[quote]growr wrote:
Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

If I burn down Blazindave’s routine to the minimum by taking out that stuff that I don’t really think I need, then I get:

Mon:
Weight training
Karate

Tues:
Cardio
Karate

Wed:
Weight training
Cardio

Thurs:
Cardio
Wrestling

Fri:
Weight Training

Sat:
Karate
“weight training”

Sun:
Rest

So, to sum up, you’re basically superman. How the hell do you recover from that amount of volume? I, unfortunately, don’t heal so fast, so I guess I’ll have to do something a little more relaxed. I also have to try to minimize DOMS.

Option 2 might be the way to go, like Vash, but I can only really train Karate 2 days a week.
[/quote]

Weight training takes me one hour at most.
Plyo takes me half an hour at most.
circuit = 15 minutes.
Then the rest of the time im sitting on my ass studying or whatever so i recover that way as well.

You have to build up your tolerance to it. I just gave you a plan to give you an idea. There is no one perfect plan. Everyone is different. Start with something simple. Like weight training on mon,wed and fri and then karate twice a week with some cardio. With time add to it.
Patience and consistancy are key.

Good luck

Osu
I would take the weight training out on saturday.

you dont need conventional weights to train traditional kyokushin

clay vases and a huge rock is what you need

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

clay vases and a huge rock is what you need[/quote]

. . . why would you handicap yourself with limited training tools? Isn’t Kyokushin a VERY progressive martial art, founded with progression in mind?

[quote]Vash wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:

clay vases and a huge rock is what you need

. . . why would you handicap yourself with limited training tools? Isn’t Kyokushin a VERY progressive martial art, founded with progression in mind?[/quote]

no, its not.

I’m only a beginner, but I’m training in the main Kyokushin dojo in Kobe, Japan, which is about as traditional as it gets. We recite the Kyokushin code of conduct to a drum beat, have time for meditation during practice and we all clean the dojo after practice.

That being said. At least 2 of the 3 senseis I know go to the gym between training, and one of them is a personal trainer in addition to teaching karate. Also, the dojo itself has its own gym, even if the stuff is a little rusty.

So yeah, bit of a dichotomy. Blazindave can probably tell us how it’s done in Canada.

[quote]growr wrote:
I’m only a beginner, but I’m training in the main Kyokushin dojo in Kobe, Japan, which is about as traditional as it gets. We recite the Kyokushin code of conduct to a drum beat, have time for meditation during practice and we all clean the dojo after practice.

That being said. At least 2 of the 3 senseis I know go to the gym between training, and one of them is a personal trainer in addition to teaching karate. Also, the dojo itself has its own gym, even if the stuff is a little rusty.

So yeah, bit of a dichotomy. Blazindave can probably tell us how it’s done in Canada.[/quote]

People show up to the dojo. Then they leave. I’m jealous of you. Here people usually see it as a workout and even less as community.

kyokushin is perhaps one of the more interesting martial arts. the kata’s(sp?) body hardening, mental focus, pressure points, discipline, etc is very respectable. i heard people train for DECADES to become a true master, and there are quite a few of those.

i respect the art, and the people who practice it, even dave… :\

kudos u fuck

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
kyokushin is perhaps one of the more interesting martial arts. the kata’s(sp?) body hardening, mental focus, pressure points, discipline, etc is very respectable. i heard people train for DECADES to become a true master, and there are quite a few of those.

i respect the art, and the people who practice it, even dave… :\

kudos u fuck[/quote]

Thanks bud.
Speaking of which, starting midnight tonight i wont have internet for 8 months, so i can focus 100 percent on school and kyokushin (and some wrestling).

Cheers guys, wish you all the best

Wish you a great training time.

Osu!