Help with Internet Connection

Hopefully some tech savy posters can help me solve my issue. I recently moved and tried to set up my computer, I set everything but, cannot connect to the internet. I have a network connection but, no internet connection. The screen shot would be a little house with an arrow to a network and then a red cross leading to internet. Any idea what is wrong?

Posting on the internet without using the internet.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
Posting on the internet without using the internet.
[/quote]

I am using my phone.

See if your IP is set as static or dhcp.

What OS (operating system) are you running? Assuming you’re running Windows Vista, Windows 7 or higher you can right click where your internet connection icon is (usually, lower right hand corner) and click on the ‘Troubleshoot Problems’ option. Should give you a run down on what the issue is.

The description you’re providing indicates it connected to the local network, but doesn’t know how to route/access to the outside world.

Most of that information (default rote, nameservers) should be set up when the system connects to the network via DHCP.

It could POSSIBLY be you still have the the old information cached, i.e, you have a laptop and it hasn’t been rebooted since the move, just woken up out of sleep.

If you haven’t already, just do a restart on the system.

try looking for a wifi button. my sister got a new laptop and it could not connect to our wifi and troubleshooting did nothing. i found the wifi button(on or near the keyboard) and it was magicaly fixed.
also try making sure the computer knows which wifi to connect to. sometimes my computer becomes unfaithful and takes my neighbors wifi even though it is too far away.

[quote]2busy wrote:
The description you’re providing indicates it connected to the local network, but doesn’t know how to route/access to the outside world.

Most of that information (default rote, nameservers) should be set up when the system connects to the network via DHCP.

It could POSSIBLY be you still have the the old information cached, i.e, you have a laptop and it hasn’t been rebooted since the move, just woken up out of sleep.

If you haven’t already, just do a restart on the system.[/quote]

Whoa, where’ve you been?

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]2busy wrote:

Whoa, where’ve you been?
[/quote]

He’s been too busy to post.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]2busy wrote:

Whoa, where’ve you been?
[/quote]

He’s been too busy to post. [/quote]

LOL

How are you connecting? Wireless access point? through a router with a cable? Directly into the device given you by your ISP which today probably still is a router. If you can connect to a router, but not the internet then the router is offline though communicating internally to you local network. A few things could be goin on there. If this still isn’t fixed, post back with some answers.

in the run or search line depending on whether it’s XP or later type cmd, hit eneter and then at the prompt type “ipconfig /all” with the quotes. See if the connection you’re trying to use has a valid ip scheme. Trying to ping would be helpful, but what to ping depends on what kind of connection it is which is what I asked first.

oh no we’ve made it worse. now his phone wont work

[quote]2busy wrote:

Whoa, where’ve you been?
[/quote]

I have been making some adjustments with my life.

Finally got things settled down and had time to come back.