Help with 'Huge in a Hurry' by Chad Waterbury

The 280 (not sure of the exact number) was apparently several years ago when he was training for a different goal or wanted to be bigger (obviously). I forget the details, but I recall him saying that he didn’t feel very comfortable at that weight.

I haven’t seen any recent pics of him, but my impression is that he looks to be in the 6’2-6’4 range and probably 220-230 range, but i’m no pro at estimating stats based on pics.

My only point was that “hardgnr” has no business talking about subjects or people he knows nothing about.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
trextacy wrote:
hardgnr wrote:
I’m curious to what CW thinks is huge. Himself?

bigger than you. has weighed upwards of 280 and has done a 600 lb raw squat. he is not trying to be a bodybuilder or weigh as much as humanly possible though. there have been examples of people who’ve gotten bigger using his programs/principles on here but people continue to be blind to it because it would frustrate their agenda and require the consumption of considerable amounts of crow.

also, the guy has a shitload of articles on this site and has been a contributor for a long time, so a question about his book or methods isn’t out of place (although best put in his locker, as C_C pointed out I think).

and no, i don’t own any books by CW.

280 pounds? That seems like a lot.

With his height and structure, he doesn’t look very filled at that weight… There was an old pic of him deadlifting in the forum, as well as some more recent ones where he seemed leaner and lighter. You can see that he trains, but you wouldn’t mistake him for a bodybuilder or elite-level powerlifter.

As mentioned by trextacy, he doesn’t train to look overly muscular. The last post of his that I read (was some time ago) said something about him focusing on martial arts/fighting and adapting his training to fit that goal… Don’t quote me on that, though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I never would have thought he was that heavy. Thanks for the info.

just a follow up, here is the article where he mentions the 600 lb raw squat at a bodyweight of 220.

it also says he is 6’3. i may have the 280 thing confused w/ Joel Marion (i believe he got really heavy at one point), but like I said i just can’t remember and if i’ve misspoken i apologize. happy training.

I’m not going to espouse the merits of training (insert author) style, but let’s be honest here:

What CW has preached before - lifting explosively, terminating a set when speed significantly slows down and NOT the actual speed of the bar but the ability to put forth the neural effort to accelerate the bar - are the SAME things CT has said in his most recent article. There is NO difference.

I just haven’t seen CW mention ramping, though he may have and may have put it in different terms.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
The 280 (not sure of the exact number) was apparently several years ago when he was training for a different goal or wanted to be bigger (obviously). I forget the details, but I recall him saying that he didn’t feel very comfortable at that weight.

I haven’t seen any recent pics of him, but my impression is that he looks to be in the 6’2-6’4 range and probably 220-230 range, but i’m no pro at estimating stats based on pics.

My only point was that “hardgnr” has no business talking about subjects or people he knows nothing about.[/quote]

I’m not taking away from his achievements, and I get that his goal isn’t to be hyooooge. Was just surprised at his weight.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I’m not going to espouse the merits of training (insert author) style, but let’s be honest here:

What CW has preached before - lifting explosively, terminating a set when speed significantly slows down and NOT the actual speed of the bar but the ability to put forth the neural effort to accelerate the bar - are the SAME things CT has said in his most recent article. There is NO difference.

I just haven’t seen CW mention ramping, though he may have and may have put it in different terms.[/quote]

CT doesn’t preach terminating a set when speed significantly slows down, he preaches terminating a set when you cannot complete it.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

I just haven’t seen CW mention ramping, though he may have and may have put it in different terms.[/quote]

True, both espouse lifting explosively or at least putting forth the effort to lift the bar as fast as possible. And both seem to like going after the fast twitch fibers by using lower reps.

The biggest difference though (and CT mentioned this in one of the article discussion threads) is that he uses a ramping approach to maximize CNS efficacy with the goal of allowing the individual to lift the heaviest possible load within the given rep range. Very similar approach to the one used by many powerlifters when working up to a 3 RM/5RM.

Except on the “twitch reps” I didn’t see him say that one should stop the set when rep speed slows down or anything about doing lots of multiple sets at the same weight. CW on the other hand, does say to do both of those things.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
hardgnr wrote:
I’m curious to what CW thinks is huge. Himself?

bigger than you. has weighed upwards of 280 [/quote]

HAHAHAHA

And Sarev0k never laughs.

CW never weighed 280.

280 on a 6 foot 2 guy who is obsessed with “HAWt AbZ” and “Looking Good Naked,” would never dream of weighing 280,

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
I’m looking for a serious answer. [/quote]

Then you need to ask a relevant, serious question.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
CW never weighed 280.

280 on a 6 foot 2 guy who is obsessed with “HAWt AbZ” and “Looking Good Naked,” would never dream of weighing 280,[/quote]

CW is 6’5. That’s a lot more frame to fill.

[quote]trextacy wrote:

My only point was that “hardgnr” has no business talking about subjects or people he knows nothing about.[/quote]

You’re a fucking idiot. And I actually do have one of Chad’s books and don’t feel a need for any nut swinging. You seem to take offense to one little sarcastic remark.

I haven’t actually read the book but I’ve glanced through it and just thought it was funny that all of the pictures in the book are of a guy who is definitely not “huge”. I just thought it was interesting considering the title of the book. Perhaps “huge” in regards to this book is in relation to the 115 pound guys curling their 10 lb. weights. It’s definitely not the “huge” I’m thinking of.

[quote]wushufanatic wrote:
I haven’t actually read the book but I’ve glanced through it and just thought it was funny that all of the pictures in the book are of a guy who is definitely not “huge”. I just thought it was interesting considering the title of the book. Perhaps “huge” in regards to this book is in relation to the 115 pound guys curling their 10 lb. weights. It’s definitely not the “huge” I’m thinking of.[/quote]

yeah, you’re right, it should have more glossy, photoshopped pictures of bodybuilders w/ lumberjack boots and cutoff shorts in mid-rep with fake weights in support of a program that the guy doesn’t even do, together with all of the other assorted bullshit that you find in muscle worship/erotic rags like M&F and the rest.

you are basically complaining about how would prefer to be marketed to and disregarding substance based on the pictures in the book. the pics are there, i’m assuming, to demonstrate a point, not elucidate the meaning of the title of the book.

your confusion here makes sense though since you probably judge most books by the number and quality of pictures in them, and preferring books that consist entirely of pictures. if they pop up when you turn to the page, it’s a plus.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
wushufanatic wrote:
I haven’t actually read the book but I’ve glanced through it and just thought it was funny that all of the pictures in the book are of a guy who is definitely not “huge”. I just thought it was interesting considering the title of the book. Perhaps “huge” in regards to this book is in relation to the 115 pound guys curling their 10 lb. weights. It’s definitely not the “huge” I’m thinking of.

yeah, you’re right, it should have more glossy, photoshopped pictures of bodybuilders w/ lumberjack boots and cutoff shorts in mid-rep with fake weights in support of a program that the guy doesn’t even do, together with all of the other assorted bullshit that you find in muscle worship/erotic rags like M&F and the rest.

you are basically complaining about how would prefer to be marketed to and disregarding substance based on the pictures in the book. the pics are there, i’m assuming, to demonstrate a point, not elucidate the meaning of the title of the book.

your confusion here makes sense though since you probably judge most books by the number and quality of pictures in them, and preferring books that consist entirely of pictures. if they pop up when you turn to the page, it’s a plus.[/quote]

I hear what you’re saying, but you have to see the irony that wushu is pointing out.

If I wrote a book titled “lean in fifteen” about a fat loss program that took 15 minutes a day, and filled the book with pictures of fat people doing the exercises, how seriously would you take my claims that the program could make you lean?

I mean, if it really made people lean, wouldn’t you think that I would include at least some pictures of people who it had worked for doing some of the exercises?

It’s just a catchy book title, maybe CW didn’t even come up with it, meant to draw in the reader. But let’s not pretend that the word “huge” in the title isn’t a bit of an exaggeration/misnomer. Or, if it’s not, that at least some pictures of individuals that had been made “huge” by the program should have been showcased in it’s pages.

I’ve also been using the book as my program as of late, and the lack of “hugeness” didn’t stop me from understanding what the pictures were pointing out (ie how to properly do the exercises).

[quote]trextacy wrote:

[/quote]

Serious question - but what makes you think the models demonstrating the exercises developed their bodies using these programs, or that they even used them briefly?

I refuse to take weight lifting advice from someone who looks like he should be on a soap opera. Sorry, Chad Waterbury is a book writer who lifts. You see a lot of that around here. Some would even say there’s been transformations from “lifters who write” to “writers who lift” round here.

The best part of this site isn’t the latest greatest superhero program…it’s the old shit in the archives.

sentoguy- of course, and as always, you are making a valid point.

i think there is some exaggeration/hyperbole in the title of the book (obviously) but i don’t think the pics are there as evidence of the effectiveness of the programs (most people will have bought the book by the time they’ve seen the pics). i can’t think of any website or publication involving training that doesn’t play fast and lose w/ marketing, be it pics, titles of programs or names of supplements (i don’t think Flameout literally turns into a shark after ingested and swims around scavenging for the inflammation in my body).

i just tire of someone asking a question about a program/routine by CW and every other post is “CW isn’t a bodybuilder” or “this doesn’t jive w/ my take on what ‘huge’ is” ad nauseum. some of the biggest guys i know who are natural train using the principles (not necessarily the programs) espoused by CW (frequency, heavier weights, fewer reps, focus on compounds, using explosive lifts, etc.).

Do Madcow’s 5x5 Program if you train at home.

Lift some weights, eat some steaks. You will get big.