T Nation

Help with High Calorie, Low Carb Snacks

I have a very odd schedule for eating times vs. working out time and it’s hard for me to plan out my diet. I work over night, Midnight to 9 in the morning on weds, thur, fri, sat (saturday is my last day and i get off at 9 in the am).

I typically go to sleep about 10 or 11 in the morning on my work days so I have “dinner” at around 9:30 in the morning. Breakfast comes at around 5 or 6 pm. Then on my off days I tend to go back to a “normal” schedule. I’m wondering if this is going to throw off my metabolism at all or is it something I just have to experiment with and watch?

I work out M-W-F now and started 5x5 Madcow’s this week (started monday). I’m looking to bulk up as well as get my strength up (I’m one weak s.o.b.) I try to eat pretty clean and have 1 or 2 cheat days but I’m running into trouble trying to get all my calories that I need to gain mass (4,000 cals, 220g protein, 110g or less carbs). Does this seem high for someone 5’11", 173-178lbs going for 200+ lbs on the madcow program?

Breakfast:
706 calories, 25g protein, 60g carbs, 44g fat, 13g fiber

1 Orange
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 slice of whole grain bread
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (on the bread)

Lunch:
470 calories, 54g protein, 17g carbs, 21g fat, 7g fiber

1 cup diced chicken
1 - 5" stalk of steamed broccoli
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (after main meal)

Dinner:
Typically this is the same as lunch but maybe a steak with different vegetables. So
basically same nutritional stats.

My snacks between meals are what I’m trying to figure out, I don’t have a “ton” of money to spend on meal replacements or bars but I’ve got about a 2400 calories deficit to make up, and only 20-30g protein.

Anyone have some high calorie snacks with mid-to-high protein, with low fat/carbs for between meals? Since I’m pretty close to my protein intake goal, calories are what I need. I thought about just downing a jar (exaggeration) of extra virgin olive oil but that just sounds disgusting.

Also anyone have some suggestion for reducing my carb intake as well, (replacements for my main meals)? Or should I want my carbs high if I’m trying to bulk?

Nevermind, answered my own question in this article if people are interested