T Nation

Help with Girlfriend's Workout?

Hey all, my girlfriend has asked me to help her by giving her some workout suggestions, and I’ve been looking around to try to find something of a 3xper week program for women, because I know she’ll be able to do that.

She’s already in good shape, a former college volleyball player, and she’s now a senior in college. I work out a lot, and I know she wants to get into it, but I don’t want to force her, or make it seem like I think she needs to work out to look good, but I know if she has a simple program she can follow that she will enjoy doing it.

Do any of you ladies have some advice on what she should be doing/where I can find something for her?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help!

Here is the program I’m thinking of giving her. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Day 1:
Deadlift 3x10
Squatjump 3x10
Pushups 3x8
DB Row 3x10

Day 2:
Squat 3x10
RDL 3x10
Pullups 3x5
DB Incline Press 3x10

Day 3 (circuit fashion):
Deadlift x12
DB Shoulder Press x12
Triceps Extensions x12
Hammer Curls x12
Swiss Ball Crunches x20
(repeat 3 times)

Days 1 & 2 are followed by 15-20 mins of low intensity cardio.

Thats fine, but make sure you progress her toward heavier weights and lower reps. She can start with sets of 10-12, but she’ll need to eventually be doing sets of 3-5 at least part of the time.

Physically there is very little difference between men and women. Psychologically there is. If you can get past the usual problems of her thinking she’ll turn into an overnite bodybuilder, then she’ll be fine.

Just have her do the same program your doing, and maybe change the exercises around a bit to suit her goals. My Gf almost always does the same exact workout as me, and is getting great results.

The pullups are going to make her feel weak because she won’t be able to do them. Perhaps you should start her with pull downs instead.

I know, I know. Pullups are better and if she just sticks to it she’ll be able to… blah blah blah. Whatever. If you’re trying to “ease” her into training and she’s not gung-ho about it then she won’t put much effort into her training for a while. Make it easier to start with and she may not hate it so much.

I’d also do DB bench instead of pushups.

Unlike dankid said, she doesn’t HAVE to eventually lift with 3-5 reps. She can do whatever the hell she wants. However, if she wants to get the best results she’ll need to do a mix of lower and higher reps to build strength and muscle size. Again, let her feel it out and don’t push her too hard in the beginning or she will feel inadequate.

Why is she deadlifting twice a week? Couldn’t think of another exercise to give her?

[quote]sic wrote:

Why is she deadlifting twice a week? Couldn’t think of another exercise to give her?[/quote]

Lunges baby. Lunges. Great for legs, less spinal loading, less low back loading.

I suggest getting her the book:
The New Rules of Lifting for Women
Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, Alwyn Cosgrove (all contributors here)

The book includes a 6 month program and covers everything from why a woman should lift weights, nutrition, etc. It’s a general fitness program that has a little bit of everything (break in, muscle building, strength, cardio, and cutting (fat loss)).

While women and men are more alike than different when it comes to lifting there are 2 important differences this book points out.

#1 Women tend to be quad dominant. Alwyn’s program addresses this and is meant to improve glute and ham involvement/development.

#2 Women are less prone to DOMS and can handle more demanding/intense workouts. You will see that he prescribes HIIT workouts after an hour lifting and on another day a killer bodyweight matrix after an hour of lifting.

Bottom line is it’s a fantastic program and I have seen huge gains in just the first stage (2 months). My deadlift 1RM went from 115lbs to 185lbs. My squat went from 105lbs to 165lbs. Other progress and info is viewable on my blog:
www.brattland.com

There is also an official forum for the book with dozens of ladies sharing their experiences at:
forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/