Help with Front Squat Flexibility

Im having problems keeping my elbows up as I am descending in my front squat. My back is also rounding.

What exercises/drills(besides actually doing front squat), will help me develop the thoracic flexibility to be able to perform a decent front squat?

tweet

Your elbows are probably dropping because your upper back is rounding due to upper back weakness. Post a video. For most people they are flexible enough to do atleast some variation of front squat but the upper back is usually the limiting factor in that it just can’t support the weight long enough to complete the set due to fatique.

Agree with Reed in that strengthening the upper back (and back in general) will help the back rounding.

how you gripping the bar?

Thanks friends.

Yer I think your right, my upper back is probably just a bit weak. Are there any accesory exercises I should be using?
Another point I should add is that my lower back is rounding. Should I be bracing my abs before descending?

Im using the clean grip.

tweet

use the cross grip. Problem solved.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Thanks friends.

Yer I think your right, my upper back is probably just a bit weak. Are there any accesory exercises I should be using?
Another point I should add is that my lower back is rounding. Should I be bracing my abs before descending?

Im using the clean grip.

tweet[/quote]

Overhand pullups, DB Rows, and Rear Delt work. Thus is what has brought up my Front Squat the most in terms of upper back stability. Are you training for Oly lifting? If not the cross arm position or personally I just hold my arms out straight would def instantly increase what you can handle in the rack position.

Did anyone mention Deadstart Front Squats? I am going to try them tomorrow and see how they feel.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Did anyone mention Deadstart Front Squats? I am going to try them tomorrow and see how they feel. [/quote]

Good luck I hate them.