Help with Eggs and Dad

Recently I have begun to eat a lot more eggs then usually, usually around 6 whole a day. My dad is freaking out telling me I’m going to die of heart disease blah blah blah. I find some studies that show that eating eggs actually lowers cholesterol serum levels(if anybody wants, I can give links), and he still says, no the American heart association says that more then 2 eggs a week is bad. Infact the only studies I find that support that are by AHA.

I tell him to look at the food pyramid and tell him the history of what we were told. We were told trans-fats were better then saturated, that low-no fat diets are the best, that we need to eat lots of grains, and try not to eat fat, cause it will make us fat, to loose weight, dont eat fat, same with gainning.

Anyway, I convinced him to get a Cholesterol testing kit next time hes at Wal-Mart. I told him if it’s high, I’ll lower my consumption. If its low-normal, I’m right. He then says blah blah blah, I won’t buy you eggs even if its low to normal, it builds up over time. I tell him lets get it tested every three months then. He says that still won’t prove anything.

Does anybody have any idea’s short of getting my chickens? Or buying my own eggs.

This is also the man that looks at my stomach after I eat a huge meal and tells me I am getting fat because I am drinking too much full fat milk. And thinks soy is a god send, maybe that is why he is always in a cranky mood.

Easy…Beat his ass.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
Recently I have begun to eat a lot more eggs then usually, usually around 6 whole a day. My dad is freaking out telling me I’m going to die of heart disease blah blah blah. I find some studies that show that eating eggs actually lowers cholesterol serum levels(if anybody wants, I can give links), and he still says, no the American heart association says that more then 2 eggs a week is bad. Infact the only studies I find that support that are by AHA.

I tell him to look at the food pyramid and tell him the history of what we were told. We were told trans-fats were better then saturated, that low-no fat diets are the best, that we need to eat lots of grains, and try not to eat fat, cause it will make us fat, to loose weight, dont eat fat, same with gainning.

Anyway, I convinced him to get a Cholesterol testing kit next time hes at Wal-Mart. I told him if it’s high, I’ll lower my consumption. If its low-normal, I’m right. He then says blah blah blah, I won’t buy you eggs even if its low to normal, it builds up over time. I tell him lets get it tested every three months then. He says that still won’t prove anything.

Does anybody have any idea’s short of getting my chickens? Or buying my own eggs.

This is also the man that looks at my stomach after I eat a huge meal and tells me I am getting fat because I am drinking too much full fat milk. And thinks soy is a god send, maybe that is why he is always in a cranky mood.[/quote]

Parents are always the hardest to convice.

Just give it time - how old are you? It took me a while to convince my parents or my eating habits - but once I got it right I never had a problem with it…

Eggs are cheap, buy them yourself.

Stop eating so many eggs?
Cut out some of the yolks.
Stop drinking whole fat milk.

[quote]PinkMist wrote:
Easy…Beat his ass.[/quote]

Wouldn’t be that hard, but you would probably see my name in the obituaries the next day from smothering.

[quote]rsg wrote:
SeanT wrote:

This is also the man that looks at my stomach after I eat a huge meal and tells me I am getting fat because I am drinking too much full fat milk. And thinks soy is a god send, maybe that is why he is always in a cranky mood.

Parents are always the hardest to convice.

Just give it time - how old are you? It took me a while to convince my parents or my eating habits - but once I got it right I never had a problem with it…
[/quote]
I’m 15, 16 in 15 days. What got my dad started was seeing me with a gut after I ate probably 1.5k calories. It wasn’t a big one, just looked like it cause I was bent over. He was like wow your getting fat. I said it just a gut from eating and being hunched over. Even when I walk around shirtless in the house he still doesn’t bother to realize that was just an eating gut.

[quote]ska7e wrote:
Eggs are cheap, buy them yourself.
[/quote]
I probably will, though I like Omega 3 eggs. Once I get my chorestoral tested, I will be buying them mostlikly.

[quote]King of Vice wrote:
Stop eating so many eggs?
Cut out some of the yolks.
Stop drinking whole fat milk.
[/quote]

My dad stopped buying whole and switched to 2% because his intelligence is superior or so he thinks. Little does he know 2% is just 20Kcals less then whole.

I am bulking, need kcals, won’t loose them yolks. What would I have for breakfast then? I like my 6 egg omelet and oatmeal.

I’ve been going through, at the very least, 12 eggs a day since I was about 16 and I’m at a lower risk of getting heart disease than anyone I know. Search around from some posts of mine about eggs. You’ll get some really good science. I just cannot post anymore for the 50th time.

Some people are just closed minded and will not except the fact that they may be wrong. They won’t except that maybe they’ve been brain-washed by the diet industry all along. It kind of reminds me of this vegan girl I knew in my nutrition and biology classes. She used to get into arguments with me when I would tell her that cholesterol and eggs weren’t bad for you. She’d go on about how they are bad for you and how you should stay away from eggs, saturated fat, cholesterol, and milk, then she’d turn around and go buy a huge donut and sugar-filled Pepsi in the mall.

I said, “what about all that refined sugar, trans fat, and white flour you’re eating?”

Some arguements just aren’t worth engaging in.

I was reading studies and I was convinced that eggs aren’t bad for you. Ohwell, it’s not even worth it.

Everytime I tell my sister or dad something unheard(well because the news likes to give everything bad publicity) they just dismiss it.

I tell them to look it up, but nope, they won’t. Ohwell, I will just be buying my own eggs, arn’t that expensive.

Where in Nevada are you from? If you are from the Vegas area when I get back from the semester at college I could help you. Haha

With what? The ass whoopin? Ahaha, just messsing, I live in reno.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
I’ve been going through, at the very least, 12 eggs a day since I was about 16 and I’m at a lower risk of getting heart disease than anyone I know. Search around from some posts of mine about eggs. You’ll get some really good science. I just cannot post anymore for the 50th time.

Some people are just closed minded and will not except the fact that they may be wrong. They won’t except that maybe they’ve been brain-washed by the diet industry all along. It kind of reminds me of this vegan girl I knew in my nutrition and biology classes. She used to get into arguments with me when I would tell her that cholesterol and eggs weren’t bad for you. She’d go on about how they are bad for you and how you should stay away from eggs, saturated fat, cholesterol, and milk, then she’d turn around and go buy a huge donut and sugar-filled Pepsi in the mall.

I said, “what about all that refined sugar, trans fat, and white flour you’re eating?”[/quote]

What was her response? Even the conventional dogma recognizes her choices as shit food. If she believed anything learned in your nutrition classes at all, she must’ve known she was eating crap whatever her stance on egss.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:

I said, “what about all that refined sugar, trans fat, and white flour you’re eating?”

What was her response? Even the conventional dogma recognizes her choices as shit food. If she believed anything learned in your nutrition classes at all, she must’ve known she was eating crap whatever her stance on egss.[/quote]

True. And that was my whole point. I asked her how she could say eggs where bad for me then turn around and eat that crap. She just went on about a little sugar “here and there” not hurting any. But, it’s really amazing when you see people do things to their body that they know will have a negative outcome on their health. But, unfortunately, there are people like that.

I don’t think she paid much attention in my our nutrition classes, or even biology for that matter. She was more into working out and she said her goal was to become a personal trainer of some sort. I don’t think she paid much attention to the nutrition part and just skipped over it to the fitness part like many kids do today.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
I was reading studies and I was convinced that eggs aren’t bad for you. Ohwell, it’s not even worth it.

Everytime I tell my sister or dad something unheard(well because the news likes to give everything bad publicity) they just dismiss it.

I tell them to look it up, but nope, they won’t. Ohwell, I will just be buying my own eggs, arn’t that expensive.[/quote]

Thats sad. How old are you? I don’t want to sound judgemental or anything, but if you’re a young fellow and your Dad won’t buy you eggs because he thinks that they’re somehow bad for you, then that is a really sad relationship to begin with. Especially if he isn’t well-informed and doesn’t do the research before making such rash decisions. Just simply tell him we evolved off of eating eggs, meat, and dairy. Strong and smart men fought wars and won wars eating eggs, meat, and dairy!

ask your dad where babies come from. hopefully he knows the mommy side is just as necessary as his

You’re in a bad situation. You can’t really win. People like your dad know it all. I long quit arguing with people like that.

What you can do is this: Start eating other foods that you dad doesn’t object to. Stuff like low-fat cottage cheese. Eat egg beaters. Etc.

Does your dad think almonds and walnuts are bad for you? If not, start munching on those, too. To win without fighting it est.

You can gain weight without egg yolks and whole milk.

Milk is not that expensive either. Buy some at school during lunch or from the corner store instead of soda or candy etc. (assuming you are even eating those). Keeps you from having to have full fat milk in the house. I don’t know about you $$ situation, but you can buy egg albumin powder and mix up a quick drink and get your egg protein that way. You miss out on the taste and texture of a nice egg meal, but it is worth considering.

Yeah, if you are living in his house and being financially supported by him you aren’t really in a position to demand that he buy what you want.

C-Law is right though too. Especially at your age (watch this guy be 35) there isn’t any one food you must have or be doomed to emaciation. Just eat what you can until you’re able to buy your own food. However he may the type of guy who wouldn’t allow manfood in his house even if he wasn’t paying for it.

If it means anything I’ve eaten 12-15 whole eggs 5 days a week for going on 8 months and my cholesterol is on the low side.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
Milk is not that expensive either. Buy some at school during lunch or from the corner store instead of soda or candy etc. (assuming you are even eating those). Keeps you from having to have full fat milk in the house. I don’t know about you $$ situation, but you can buy egg albumin powder and mix up a quick drink and get your egg protein that way. You miss out on the taste and texture of a nice egg meal, but it is worth considering. [/quote]

No, it’s not. I used to buy milk at longs drug but it got expensive after a while. I do not buy soda or candy, im too much of a cheapo and I do not really enjoy eating it. I’m leaving in about 5 minutes to go buy some eggs at a local farm, so I think that is pretty much solved. I’ll be using my lunch money to buy food that my dad won’t, I figure most people do that anyway, except we have different goals…

I will be getting into webdesign big time over the summer so I will be racking in the $$$(If I start back at it again, I can be making about 3k a month, I just need to stop being bombarded by hw.

Yea, well my dad just says blah blah blah the American heart association say blah blah blah, I then asked who that is indented for, he then changes the subject.

My Dad is not what you would call manly, when he found out I am taking ZMA, he asks asked what it was for, I told him it helps me sleep better and it slightly raises test since zinc stimulates a slight increase in production. he responded,“It can raise test level! you’ll be ranging and growing boobs and everything.” He really is uninformed and
always tells me whenever a powerful image is a bodybuilder, yuk thats disgusting why would anybody want to be that big, and he is always like why do people want to do rocks and shit in strongman, its stupid.

He isn’t uneducated, he has a PhD, just had a very different lifestyle growing up.

For the record, I eat anywhere from 6-10 eggs in one meal, and some times I have 2 of those egg meals a day- 2 yolks (at least) with each helping.

Last year (for the first time ever) I had blood samples taken to test for cholesterol etc. I don’t remember the numbers, but I simply remember the doc saying my cholesterol levels were “better than excellent.”

Due to this, I have come to the conclusion that any negative shit talk about eggs is complete and utter horse rubbish.